Fuel problem 92 SL2

Old April 12th 05, 01:29 AM
Ledfoot

Default Fuel problem 92 SL2

The fuel gauge stop working in my 92 saturn is this a problem with them, If
I'm going to drop the tank to replace the sender I;m going to do the fuel
pump also,or does anyone have any thoughts on this problem.

Ledfoot

Old April 12th 05, 02:52 PM
Scott MacIntyre

Yea - I occasionally have the same problem in the cold. The fuel gauge will
start swinging all over until the car warms up...In the summer it's
fine....To solve this problem, I push the trip meter when I get gas. I know
in 250 miles I have to get more. It's a '92 and if you really want to put
that much time and/or money/effort into a 13 year old Saturn - bless ya!
(then again, you didn't say how many miles are on it - I guess I'm just
saying that because mine's my beater 60 mile round trip a day work car...)

Old April 12th 05, 11:29 PM
private

I understand that the fuel pumps are very expensive. If it aint broke don't
fix it. The cost of parts and labor will buy you a lot of gas.

Use a multi meter to test the output of the tank unit before you get in a
hurry to drop the tank. check for good grounds and for corrosion in any
connectors. If the problem is in the dash it may be possible to mount a
different gauge. If you must change the pump make sure to use a good gasket
with the correct sealer (not silicone) or the tank will leak when over
filled.

As another poster suggests you can use your trip odometer. If you loan your
car you can be sure they will put some gas in it.

Unfortunately my trip odometer failed as a result of the same T-bone crash
that killed the tank fuel pump. I cannot think of a reasonable explanation
as to why either of these were damaged in this accident. My fuel gauge was
not damaged and works fine.

I always write the odometer reading on my gas receipts and then enter the
data into a spreadsheet to keep track of expenses and act as a service log.
By keeping a column to calc consumption rate you will be able to see that if
mpg falls off you may need new plugs or wires.

As always YMMV

Old April 13th 05, 04:17 AM
Nobody U. Know

If it's not a crisis (need the car to go to work), try and repair the
sender. Most senders have an arm that floats in the gas. On the other end of
the arm is a metal plate. If the plastic has weakend, it will separate from
the metal. You can usually fix this with a zip tie. Worst case is you have
to wait a day for a new sender.

--
Todd Honea