Sheesh what happened to Saturn?

Old January 12th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Scott Stoddard

Default Sheesh what happened to Saturn?

So I went to buy a new Saturn. Based on my previous experience with Saturn I
was expecting a pleasant, straight forward, purchasing experience. You
know, all the things I used to associate with Saturn, priority on customer
satisfaction, no hassle pricing, everybody pays MSRP etc.

So I buy a new Ion. while we're doing doing the paperwork, I'm not worried,
I assume the deal we negotiated is the deal I'm getting... it's Saturn.

Later, I get to looking at the paperwork and see they've added $1000 to the
MSRP. I call them. They say "Oh that's for the extras." "What extras?" I
say, "Nobody said anything about any extras." "I don't know, I'll have to
do some research." I'm told.

So after a bunch of rigmarole, and more phone calls, I find that they put
some pin stripe tape and some door guard tape on the car. $1000 for
tape!?!?

I can get leather interior for $700, and I'm tricked into paying $1000 for
some stinking tape?!? I can decide whether to spring for the leather, but
the $1000 tape is sneaked into the paperwork at the last minute, when I'm
tired and want to go home with my new car. While I'm trusting them and not
suspecting any chicanery?! This is so disgusting. It would have been one
thing if they'd told me about the tape, then I could have decided whether I
wanted the car or not. I wouldn't have bought it, but that should be my
decision.

Customer satisfaction?!?! I don't know about you but top of my list for
satisfaction is being tricked into paying $1000 for $10 worth of tape. So
satisfying!

"Don't feel bad we do this to everybody." They tell me. Nice guys. Thanks
Saturn of Vancouver, you jerks.

Is this just a rogue dealership or is this what Saturn has become? I feel
like a trusted friend has used my trust to betray me.

I'll probably pull off the pinstripes. It makes me sick every time I look at
it.

Old January 12th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
NapalmHeart

"Scott Stoddard" > wrote in message
> So I went to buy a new Saturn. Based on my previous experience with Saturn
> was expecting a pleasant, straight forward, purchasing experience. You
> know, all the things I used to associate with Saturn, priority on customer
> satisfaction, no hassle pricing, everybody pays MSRP etc.
>
> So I buy a new Ion. while we're doing doing the paperwork, I'm not
> worried,
> I assume the deal we negotiated is the deal I'm getting... it's Saturn.
>
> Later, I get to looking at the paperwork and see they've added $1000 to
> the
> MSRP. I call them. They say "Oh that's for the extras." "What extras?" I
> say, "Nobody said anything about any extras." "I don't know, I'll have to
> do some research." I'm told.
>
> So after a bunch of rigmarole, and more phone calls, I find that they put
> some pin stripe tape and some door guard tape on the car. $1000 for
> tape!?!?
>
> I can get leather interior for $700, and I'm tricked into paying $1000 for
> some stinking tape?!? I can decide whether to spring for the leather, but
> the $1000 tape is sneaked into the paperwork at the last minute, when I'm
> tired and want to go home with my new car. While I'm trusting them and not
> suspecting any chicanery?! This is so disgusting. It would have been one
> thing if they'd told me about the tape, then I could have decided whether
> wanted the car or not. I wouldn't have bought it, but that should be my
> decision.
>
> Customer satisfaction?!?! I don't know about you but top of my list for
> satisfaction is being tricked into paying $1000 for $10 worth of tape. So
> satisfying!
>
> "Don't feel bad we do this to everybody." They tell me. Nice guys. Thanks
> Saturn of Vancouver, you jerks.
>
> Is this just a rogue dealership or is this what Saturn has become? I feel
> like a trusted friend has used my trust to betray me.
>
> I'll probably pull off the pinstripes. It makes me sick every time I look
> at
> it.

Why didn't you tell them that you didn't want the "extras" and tell them no
deal if they don't remove the $1000?

Ken

Old January 12th 07, 12:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 01:02:24 GMT, Scott Stoddard
> wrote:

>So I went to buy a new Saturn. Based on my previous experience with Saturn I
>was expecting a pleasant, straight forward, purchasing experience. You
>know, all the things I used to associate with Saturn, priority on customer
>satisfaction, no hassle pricing, everybody pays MSRP etc.
>
>So I buy a new Ion. while we're doing doing the paperwork, I'm not worried,
>I assume the deal we negotiated is the deal I'm getting... it's Saturn.
>
>Later, I get to looking at the paperwork and see they've added $1000 to the
>MSRP. I call them. They say "Oh that's for the extras." "What extras?" I
>say, "Nobody said anything about any extras." "I don't know, I'll have to
>do some research." I'm told.
>
>So after a bunch of rigmarole, and more phone calls, I find that they put
>some pin stripe tape and some door guard tape on the car. $1000 for
>tape!?!?
>
>I can get leather interior for $700, and I'm tricked into paying $1000 for
>some stinking tape?!? I can decide whether to spring for the leather, but
>the $1000 tape is sneaked into the paperwork at the last minute, when I'm
>tired and want to go home with my new car. While I'm trusting them and not
>suspecting any chicanery?! This is so disgusting. It would have been one
>thing if they'd told me about the tape, then I could have decided whether I
>wanted the car or not. I wouldn't have bought it, but that should be my
>decision.
>
>Customer satisfaction?!?! I don't know about you but top of my list for
>satisfaction is being tricked into paying $1000 for $10 worth of tape. So
>satisfying!
>
>"Don't feel bad we do this to everybody." They tell me. Nice guys. Thanks
>Saturn of Vancouver, you jerks.
>
>Is this just a rogue dealership or is this what Saturn has become? I feel
>like a trusted friend has used my trust to betray me.
>
>I'll probably pull off the pinstripes. It makes me sick every time I look at
>it.
>\

The best thing to do when you see that is get up and walk out.
Mention to the salesman that his dishonesty is what cost him a
customer.

Old January 12th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Rich

"Scott Stoddard" > wrote in message
> So I buy a new Ion. while we're doing doing the paperwork, I'm not
> worried,
> I assume the deal we negotiated is the deal I'm getting... it's Saturn.
>
> Later, I get to looking at the paperwork and see they've added $1000 to
> the
> MSRP. I call them. They say "Oh that's for the extras." "What extras?" I

Ugh, why would you not at least look at the numbers. I don't know if things
work differently in Canada, but in the U.S. the contracts have to show every
line item. They can't just "add" $1k to the MSRP.

Go into the dealership, speak with a manager (sales), and tell him you'd
like a $1k refund.

Old January 12th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Steve[_6_]

"Scott Stoddard" > wrote in message
> So I went to buy a new Saturn. Based on my previous experience with Saturn
> was expecting a pleasant, straight forward, purchasing experience. You
> know, all the things I used to associate with Saturn, priority on customer
> satisfaction, no hassle pricing, everybody pays MSRP etc.

<snip>
> Is this just a rogue dealership or is this what Saturn has become? I feel
> like a trusted friend has used my trust to betray me.

<snip>

Hopefully, a rogue dealership. I haven't purchased a new car since 1999
(and probably won't again, since only the SL has ever appealed to me) but
based on my ongoing experience with the service department of the dealer
from which I bought my car, the focus on customer service hasn't waned.
That said, it's possible that Saturn division has either changed its
original philosophy or relaxed its control over its dealers and it's my
dealership's commitment to customer service that has remained the same.

Old January 13th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Roberto

The direction of Saturn is way different than it used to be. I bought a
new Saturn every other year since 1996 and I have noticed that they
were getting unusually aggressive in the sales technique. I would
literally get tackled by the salespeople while driving into the
dealership to get parts, or even just looking around at the new
vehicles while there for service. On the last purchase, a 2006 VUE from
the Las Vegas dealership, the saleswoman brought in the team leader and
he was a real pushy, cocky, a-hole who ended up screwing me out of
around 600.00 bucks., plus he promised I could switch out the wheels
which he didn't,and a couple other things that burned my ass. Anyway I
wrote the dealer manager and Saturn a very detailed letter explaining
what happend and how I feel about the company and how it has become.
They sent me a hundred dollar certificate and an appology. I will not
buy another Saturn next year or ever. I love the product, but this last
go around left a very bitter taste. I like the new GMC Acadia, or
perhaps the Kia Sorrento. The Saturn experience is now very laboring.

Old January 13th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
satyr

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 01:02:24 GMT, Scott Stoddard
> wrote:

>So I went to buy a new Saturn. Based on my previous experience with Saturn I
>was expecting a pleasant, straight forward, purchasing experience. You
>know, all the things I used to associate with Saturn, priority on customer
>satisfaction, no hassle pricing, everybody pays MSRP etc.
>
>So I buy a new Ion. while we're doing doing the paperwork, I'm not worried,
>I assume the deal we negotiated is the deal I'm getting... it's Saturn.
>
>Later, I get to looking at the paperwork and see they've added $1000 to the
>MSRP. I call them. They say "Oh that's for the extras." "What extras?" I
>say, "Nobody said anything about any extras." "I don't know, I'll have to
>do some research." I'm told.
>
>So after a bunch of rigmarole, and more phone calls, I find that they put
>some pin stripe tape and some door guard tape on the car. $1000 for
>tape!?!?
>
>I can get leather interior for $700, and I'm tricked into paying $1000 for
>some stinking tape?!? I can decide whether to spring for the leather, but
>the $1000 tape is sneaked into the paperwork at the last minute, when I'm
>tired and want to go home with my new car. While I'm trusting them and not
>suspecting any chicanery?! This is so disgusting. It would have been one
>thing if they'd told me about the tape, then I could have decided whether I
>wanted the car or not. I wouldn't have bought it, but that should be my
>decision.
>
>Customer satisfaction?!?! I don't know about you but top of my list for
>satisfaction is being tricked into paying $1000 for $10 worth of tape. So
>satisfying!
>
>"Don't feel bad we do this to everybody." They tell me. Nice guys. Thanks
>Saturn of Vancouver, you jerks.

LOL. If they won't agree over the phone to refund the $1000 plus tax,
then you need to wait fro there to be a lot of customers in the
showroom and walk in with your contract and loudly announce that you
need to talk to someone about getting the bogus $1000 charge refunded.
When they try to quiet yo down, ask if it is true that they do this to
everybody like the guy said. If the sales desks are in an open area,
walk up to a salesman who is trying to close a sale and rudely butt in
and ask who you should talk to about getting your money back. If he
is your salesman, all the better.

A coworker's daughter bought an Ion with a student discount. A day
later they called back and told her she would have to come in and pay
them the discount because she didn't qualify after all. Dad had to go
down there and tell them they weren't getting any more money.

Didn't Saturn used to have a 30 day return policy? If they still do,
now would be the time to use it. Don't even give them the option of
refunding the $1000. Tell them you want it all back.

Old January 13th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Chuck[_1_]

Definitely NOT a "Different kind of car company" anymore!
It looks like all of their vehicles will just be rebadged products from
other divisions before long.
The polymer side panels - their best selling point imho - will soon be
history.
Dealers on Long Island, NY are closing left and right - I think there's
3 left.
And the service departments at all of those are crooked as all get out.
Saturn will be the next Oldsmobile . . . NDIMM!

Old January 13th 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

I know Im gonna get hated for this, but take it for what it is..... those
who know me know I was a Saturn salesperson. Yes, Saturn has changed, the
"different car company"days are long gone memories of the past. They are
just another division of GM now, but still a good car and actually becoming
an important player for GM.

Scott, IMHO it seems that you had a bum salesperson. It is a law and also
mandated by Saturn that beside the MSRP there must be an addendum sticker
showing any additional items on your car. You should have a copy of this
smaller sticker showing the additional items listed on them, many dealers
place then inside the glovebox with your orig. MSRP when purchasing a brand
new car.

It was your salespersons responsibility to properly explain the MSRP and the
addendum (added items) price to you before your time of purchase. It is
entirely YOUR responsibility to understand everything that you signed when
in the finance office before you signed that legal purchase agreement. At
any time if you didn't understand the numbers, you could have walked out if
they were unable to produce a viable answer for you.

If it is possible that your dealer has failed to provide you with a copy of
the addendum showing add ons, then you need to politely return to the
dealership and ask the manager for one, it should have been there. Now I
don't know how they do it in other states, but that's how Saturn is supposed
to do it everywhere. There is a civil way to handle this, doing as some
other posts suggests will only make an arse out of yourself and not resolve
much at all. Ask for an explanation from the sales manager and if not
sufficient, then call Saturn Customer Support and see if they can help.

marx404

Old January 13th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
NapalmHeart

"marx404" > wrote in message
>I know Im gonna get hated for this, but take it for what it is..... those
> who know me know I was a Saturn salesperson. Yes, Saturn has changed, the
> "different car company"days are long gone memories of the past. They are
> just another division of GM now, but still a good car and actually
> becoming
> an important player for GM.

<big snip>
> There is a civil way to handle this, doing as some
> other posts suggests will only make an arse out of yourself and not
> resolve
> much at all. Ask for an explanation from the sales manager and if not
> sufficient, then call Saturn Customer Support and see if they can help.
>
> marx404

Marx404,

This has hit on an issue that has bothered me for awhile. Why is it that so
many people can't solve their problems with others without becoming
irrational and uncivil?

Ken