1995' 5 SPEED SATURN WON'T START

Old December 3rd 05, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default 1995' 5 SPEED SATURN WON'T START

I HAVE A SATURN I'VE CHANGED ALOT OF PART'S BUT IT WON'T START IT TRIES BUT
WON'T IF ANY CAN HELP OR GIVE SUJESTIONS I WOULD REALLY APPECIATE IT.

Old December 4th 05, 04:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

In article
outautos.com>,
"MARY46224" > wrote:

> I HAVE A SATURN I'VE CHANGED ALOT OF PART'S BUT IT WON'T START IT TRIES BUT
> WON'T IF ANY CAN HELP OR GIVE SUJESTIONS I WOULD REALLY APPECIATE IT.

Ack! Turn off the caps lock!

Ok, car won't start means one of two things: No gas. Or no spark.

No gas can be a bad fuel pump, bad fuel pump relay, bad pressure
regulator or a REALLY clogged fuel filter.

No spark is either bad ignition coil, module, or crank sensor.

You say it 'tries'. Does it actually run a bit? Then you've at least
got some gas and spark.

* Get in the car in a quiet place. Turn the key to 'run', but don't
crank the car just yet. Turn off the radio, fan, etc before you do
this. Listen for a 'whirr' noise coming from the back of the car, and a
faint click. Turn the key off, wait 20 secs, try it again. Try it a
few times, actually. That noise is good - it's your fuel pump pumping
the system up. If you hear it, it means the pump and relay at least
partially work.

* Get a friend. Unplug a spark plug wire at the coil. Have a friend
crank the engine while you watch the bare terminal. Don't touch it!
You should see a spark jumping from it to somewhere every now and then.
Put the cable back.

* Does the engine start and then die, or run really poorly until it's
warm? Can you keep it going by pumping the gas or such? If so, replace
the coolant temperature sensor. It's a BIG source of starting headaches
on Saturns.

(If you want a really freaky experience, try unplugging the MAP sensor
some day on a cold car, then starting it - on my '93 SC2, the car will
kind of idle, but the rpms will hunt. It'll be virtually undriveable.
Once the O2 sensor warms up, it'll suddenly smooth out and actually
drive pretty decently. Amazing what the computer will try to do to keep
you going...)
Old December 4th 05, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

To start with, your description of the symptom (won't start) and what you
have tried (changed a lot of parts) is pretty much useless. Also, you do
not say which car model and engine you have in your vehicle.

Please describe what you are observing with regard to the no start. For
instance, does the starter turn over or not? Does the fuel pump energize?
Can you hear it running before you attempt to start? Next, what exactly
have you changed and why?

For an engine to start it needs four basic things: fuel, oxygen,
compression, and spark. Do some basic troubleshooting and post which is
missing so that people here have a clue and can try to help. Hint, it is
likely either fuel or spark that is missing if the engine is turning over.

Bob

PS Turn off the caps lock or you are likely to get nasty replies as well.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old December 5th 05, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

mine won't either bummer

LIDAR Trial this Week [email protected] Driving 17 April 9th 06 02:44 AM
Why all the cracked heads, oil burning,etc. here? [email protected] Saturn 11 March 28th 05 09:39 PM
1995 Saturn SL2 ysone Saturn 8 October 21st 04 02:40 AM
99 Saturn SL- went through high water, won't start Weasel Saturn 0 September 8th 04 07:27 PM
Saturn 1999, SL2, when trying to start all power goes dead. larryg Saturn 3 August 22nd 04 12:05 AM