Why the term "road enthusiast" isn't relevant

Old July 31st 09, 06:55 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation,uk.transport
Larry Sheldon

Default Why the term "road enthusiast" isn't relevant

Andrew Tompkins wrote:

> Hello? Carl? Anybody home?

That gets the prize for "Most Un-necessary Question Of The Day".

The lights are not even on.
Old July 31st 09, 07:50 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation,uk.transport
Andrew Tompkins

Larry Sheldon wrote:
> Andrew Tompkins wrote:
>
>> Hello? Carl? Anybody home?

> That gets the prize for "Most Un-necessary Question Of The Day".
>

> The lights are not even on.

Yeah, well, since I wasn't getting a response to a legitimate question,
I figured I'd try the McFly routine. I just can't seem to get close
enough to bang him on the head with my knuckles and get his full and
undivided attention.

--Andy
Old August 1st 09, 03:42 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation,uk.transport
H.B. Elkins

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:50:23 -0700, Andrew Tompkins wrote:

>Yeah, well, since I wasn't getting a response to a legitimate question,
>I figured I'd try the McFly routine. I just can't seem to get close
>enough to bang him on the head with my knuckles and get his full and
>undivided attention.

Which is exactly what he wants. He's not worth it. Just ignore him and God
willing, he'll go away.

--
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"
Old August 1st 09, 05:33 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation,uk.transport
Robert Coe

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 09:36:15 -0700 (PDT), Carl Rogers >
wrote:
: Hi Viatologists,
:
: Would you rather learn about animals from a biologist or a "mammal
: enthusiast"? In terms of scientific study, a viatologist reports
: roads after using the scientific method:
:
: 1.Defining the question
: 2.Gathering information and resources (observe)
: 3.Forming hypothesis
: 4.Performing experiment and collect data
: 5.Analysing data
: 6.Interpreting data and draw conclusions that serve as a starting
: point for new hypothesis
: 7.Publish results
: 8. Leaving room for other scientists to repeat findings.
:
: Viatology reinforces the scientific method, and as such, brings
: relevant studies to the roads criss-crossing the Earth.

Ah, you may say that, but the word itself is bogus. The root "via" is Latin,
whilst the suffix "-ology" is quite clearly Greek. It is back to the thesaurus
with you, sir, and that right promptly!

: "Environment first, transportology second"

"Transportology"?? Fie!

Bob
Old August 1st 09, 02:14 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation,uk.transport
Odo Ital

On Jul 31, 11:33*pm, Robert Coe > wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 09:36:15 -0700 (PDT), Carl Rogers >
> wrote:
> : Hi Viatologists,
> :
> : Would you rather learn about animals from a biologist or a "mammal
> : enthusiast"? *In terms of scientific study, a viatologist reports
> : roads after using the scientific method:
> :
> : 1.Defining the question
> : 2.Gathering information and resources (observe)
> : 3.Forming hypothesis
> : 4.Performing experiment and collect data
> : 5.Analysing data
> : 6.Interpreting data and draw conclusions that serve as a starting
> : * point for new hypothesis
> : 7.Publish results
> : 8. Leaving room for other scientists to repeat findings.
> :
> : Viatology reinforces the scientific method, and as such, brings
> : relevant studies to the roads criss-crossing the Earth.
>
> Ah, you may say that, but the word itself is bogus. The root "via" is Latin,
> whilst the suffix "-ology" is quite clearly Greek. It is back to the thesaurus
> with you, sir, and that right promptly!
>
> : "Environment first, transportology second"
>
> "Transportology"?? Fie!
>
> Bob

Gods, stick a fork in it already. Sheesh!
Old August 1st 09, 06:19 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation,uk.transport
Andrew Tompkins

H.B. Elkins wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:50:23 -0700, Andrew Tompkins wrote:
>
>> Yeah, well, since I wasn't getting a response to a legitimate question,
>> I figured I'd try the McFly routine. I just can't seem to get close
>> enough to bang him on the head with my knuckles and get his full and
>> undivided attention.

> Which is exactly what he wants. He's not worth it. Just ignore him and God
> willing, he'll go away.

Tell me something I don't already know. Re-read what I said above. I
want his attention, not the other way around. He's already got mine.

All I want him to do is demonstrate how his work with 'viatology' fits
in with the scientific method as he purports it does in his OP for this
thread. I always give a guy a chance to redeem himself. He's got that
chance now. The outcome is entirely on his own shoulders. If he can't
even give us the question he is trying to answer, then the rest is pure
BS. The simple gathering of information is not science. The
information has to be applied in some way to find out something
previously unknown to anyone (or to check someone else's results to a
recently posed and answered question).

--Andy
Old August 1st 09, 08:00 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation,uk.transport
Larry Sheldon

Andrew Tompkins wrote:
[Bagged and tagged]

> All I want him to do is demonstrate how his work with

You got it, but please try to stay in the killfile while are beating
your head mindlessly against the wall.
--
Requiescas in pace o email Two identifying characteristics
of System Administrators:

ICBM Targeting Information:
http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs
http://tinyurl.com/7tp8ml