Garage can't reset the service indicator?

Old March 16th 05, 09:56 PM
Nev Arthur

Default Garage can't reset the service indicator?

Hi all.
I just had my 8 year old A6 serviced at a garage, and while their
tool normally manages to reset Audi service indicators, it wasn't
able to do mine. They tried another garage, and they couldn't do
it either. They have said to me it won't affect the car, it'll
just annoy me, and it perhaps points to some kind of problem
somewhere in the dashboard? Just wandered if anyone has any clue
really.
Many thanks for any thoughts, even guesses are welcome.
Nev

Old March 17th 05, 12:02 AM
Ottar T

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:56:33 -0000, Nev Arthur
> wrote:

> Hi all.
> I just had my 8 year old A6 serviced at a garage, and while their
> tool normally manages to reset Audi service indicators, it wasn't
> able to do mine. They tried another garage, and they couldn't do
> it either. They have said to me it won't affect the car, it'll
> just annoy me, and it perhaps points to some kind of problem
> somewhere in the dashboard? Just wandered if anyone has any clue
> really.
> Many thanks for any thoughts, even guesses are welcome.
> Nev

I got a 97' A6 and the same thing came up. It turned out that the 97'
needs the 98' or newer interface box, but is equipped with the pre 97'
interface connectors (2 x 2).
The shop will need to use an adapter cable to be able to use their tool
intended for 98' or newer model on your car.
The adapter has 2 x 2 Port connector in one end and the 16-pin OBD-II
connector in the other end..
I resently bought one for myself so I can bring it along for the shop to
use..

pictures are shown he
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/2x2.html

ottar t

Old March 17th 05, 02:01 AM
Jay Somerset

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:56:33 -0000, "Nev Arthur"
> wrote:

> Hi all.
> I just had my 8 year old A6 serviced at a garage, and while their
> tool normally manages to reset Audi service indicators, it wasn't
> able to do mine. They tried another garage, and they couldn't do
> it either. They have said to me it won't affect the car, it'll
> just annoy me, and it perhaps points to some kind of problem
> somewhere in the dashboard? Just wandered if anyone has any clue
> really.
> Many thanks for any thoughts, even guesses are welcome.
> Nev

Have you tried resetting it via the instrument panel controls, as described
in the owner's manual? If the dealer couldn't do it, this probably won't
work either, but it's worth a try.
--
Jay.
(remove dashes for legal email address)
Old March 17th 05, 10:40 PM
Ottar T

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:01:51 -0500, Jay Somerset >
wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:56:33 -0000, "Nev Arthur"
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi all.
>> I just had my 8 year old A6 serviced at a garage, and while their
>> tool normally manages to reset Audi service indicators, it wasn't
>> able to do mine. They tried another garage, and they couldn't do
>> it either. They have said to me it won't affect the car, it'll
>> just annoy me, and it perhaps points to some kind of problem
>> somewhere in the dashboard? Just wandered if anyone has any clue
>> really.
>> Many thanks for any thoughts, even guesses are welcome.
>> Nev
>>

> Have you tried resetting it via the instrument panel controls, as
> described
> in the owner's manual? If the dealer couldn't do it, this probably won't
> work either, but it's worth a try.
> --
> Jay.
> (remove dashes for legal email address)

Its not possible to reset via instrument panel on a pre 98' model..

ottar t
Old March 18th 05, 12:56 AM
Nev Arthur

>>> Hi all.
>>> I just had my 8 year old A6 serviced at a garage, and while
>>> their
>>> tool normally manages to reset Audi service indicators, it
>>> wasn't
>>> able to do mine. They tried another garage, and they couldn't
>>> do
>>> it either. They have said to me it won't affect the car,
>>> it'll
>>> just annoy me, and it perhaps points to some kind of problem
>>> somewhere in the dashboard? Just wandered if anyone has any
>>> clue
>>> really.
>>> Many thanks for any thoughts, even guesses are welcome.
>>> Nev

>> Have you tried resetting it via the instrument panel controls,
>> as described
>> in the owner's manual? If the dealer couldn't do it, this
>> probably won't
>> work either, but it's worth a try.

> Its not possible to reset via instrument panel on a pre 98'
> model..

Just to say thanks for the responses. Not cured it yet though.
Cheers, Nev

Reset Inspection Indicator Test BMW 33 February 25th 05 05:08 PM
T&C Perform Service Indicator Tom Hubley Chrysler 1 January 13th 05 04:37 AM
Reset Service Interval Indicator Jeff Strickland BMW 0 October 11th 04 05:58 PM
Golf III service indicator U. Genzmer VW water cooled 0 October 6th 04 10:46 PM