The All-New 2006 3 Series

Old December 31st 04, 05:06 AM
Cutiebunny

Default The All-New 2006 3 Series

Hello there, have you been to BMW's website? I saw their new 3-series today
and I was relieved to see that it doesn't look as bad as the 5-series.
Overall it looks fine, although I still prefer the hood on the current
3-series, in which the kidney grills are built into the hood. The new
3-series hood is separated from the kidney grills, just like the new
5-series. The new 3 supposedly has a better performance but I hope it is
also as reliable.

What do you all think of the new 3-series?

:-)
Cutiebunny.

Old December 31st 04, 10:45 AM
David Haggas

"Cutiebunny" > wrote in message
> Hello there, have you been to BMW's website? I saw their new 3-series

today
> and I was relieved to see that it doesn't look as bad as the 5-series.
> Overall it looks fine, although I still prefer the hood on the current
> 3-series, in which the kidney grills are built into the hood. The new
> 3-series hood is separated from the kidney grills, just like the new
> 5-series. The new 3 supposedly has a better performance but I hope it is
> also as reliable.
>
> What do you all think of the new 3-series?
>
> :-)
> Cutiebunny.

Not much. As you say it "doesn't look as bad" as the five - but it is no
beauty is it? From an engineering viewpoint there will undoubtedly be much
progress but as a BMW owner and enthusiast for 25 years I rule out the new
car in favour of the pre facelift E46 or a late E39 model when I finally
part with my E30 sport.

David

Old December 31st 04, 11:09 AM
John Burns

> Hello there, have you been to BMW's website? I saw their new 3-series today
> and I was relieved to see that it doesn't look as bad as the 5-series.

It's sad that this is actually praise for a new model. Shows how bad
things have become. I agree with you by the way, not at all nuts about
the new style dashboard and interior layouts though.

I'm sure it's a very well ingineered car, the new 3.0 six should be a
real screamer ;-)

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old December 31st 04, 01:54 PM
GRL

Going through the pictures at the web site...

Don't care for the slope of the nose/hood.

Rear looks OK (nut no better than that).

Hate the slash on the side of the car. The huge bumper cover/rear
quarter seam behind the rear wheel is...huge and breaks up the flow as
your eye passes over it.

Interior looks bland. Picture it without the steering wheel and it is
frighteningly bland.

From the top left view they give it looks squat and fat. I think the
E46 looks better than the G35, but the E90 puts them at parity, at best.
A definite step backwards (and I don't mean to earlier generation 3-Series).

Watch the video and you see how the front and rear just don't go
together. The front is very "new look" the rear is very "traditional".
The front looks like a Mitsubishi was the inspiration. Not the best
inspiration.

I am very wary of the active steering.

The new BMW 3 liter six with 255 hp will likely be incrementally better
than the M54 six, which is not a bad thing to say since that engine is
just excellent. However, Infiniti is at 298 hp in the G35 - that's
closer to M3 power than the new BMW six is to G35 power. Not good.

I think they've lost their way. The car will sell OK because there
really is very little small sedan RWD competition and because it still
is a BMW and some people will buy nothing else.

- GRL

Old December 31st 04, 02:34 PM
John Stone

in article , GRL at
wrote on 12/31/04 7:54 AM:

> The new BMW 3 liter six with 255 hp will likely be incrementally better
> than the M54 six, which is not a bad thing to say since that engine is
> just excellent. However, Infiniti is at 298 hp in the G35 - that's
> closer to M3 power than the new BMW six is to G35 power. Not good.

Horsepower is one thing, performance is something else. The existing G35
coupe at 280HP is no quicker than your ZHP at 235. Infiniti's HP numbers
don't seem to translate very well into performance differences. E.g.,the
sedan at 260 vs the coupe at 280 have nearly identical acceleration. And the
fact that BMW promises both improved fuel economy and more power with less
weight, tells me that this is a real advancement in engine design, not just
another tweak of valves, cams, and exhaust as in the Nissan. Certainly those
tweaks can increase power, but probably at the cost of fuel economy and
vibration. That V6 is already pushing the limits on these fronts. It will
be interesting to see how much the numbers on the 2005 G35 6mt improve over
the 04. I've ruled out ever owning the G35 because I just don't think the
engine comes even close to the BMW in refinement. There's something just not
that appealing about having basically the same engine as the Nissan Quest
minivan down the block.

> I think they've lost their way. The car will sell OK because there
> really is very little small sedan RWD competition and because it still
> is a BMW and some people will buy nothing else.

Why not wait till you see it in person and give it a test drive. You might
be pleasantly surprised.

Old December 31st 04, 02:43 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

In home market Germany in some months outsold by C-Class, always trounced by
VW Golf/Bora.

I doubt people base their decision on where the drive wheels are.

DAS
---

Old December 31st 04, 08:52 PM
GRL

As to the last point, true enough in terms of driving, but I was referring
to esthetics. Might drive great. That will have no effect on the styling,
though.

You should not be so hard on the Nissan V6. It is, by any standard, an
excellent engine. When I drove the 260 hp version this summer in a G35, I
felt it was as good as the M54 six. The car book guys love it. I could not
care less that it is found in loads of Nissans. Far as I'm concerned, that
just subsidizes the development cost of an excellent engine that might not
exist otherwise in G35's. An excellent engine is an excellent engine.
Period. People bitch and moan about the OHV V6's that GM still manufactures.
But the GM V6 makes more power and gives better mileage than competitors in
line fours. I say that makes the GM V6 a superior engine, even if it dates
back decades.

The G35 has been a bit slower than the E46 equivalents. But I suspect that
has something to do with the G35 being a bigger (heavier) car. Big adds
comfort, but it subtracts performance.

- GRL

Old December 31st 04, 08:55 PM
GRL

Isn't the Golf a lot cheaper? Also smaller? RWD matters a lot to people who
enjoy great handling. Less so to people who are after interior room, bang
for the Euro, and better traction on snow.

- GRL

Old December 31st 04, 10:03 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

1) Yes, probably a bit cheaper.

2) Don't know about size, but broadly similar, I would have thought.

Both above can be checked by a look at their respective websites. But have
to focus on getting booze out....

3) BMW has cracking sales performance in Germany. No 2 in 2003 and 2002
and No. 3 in 2001 (based on registration statistics).

(cf C-Class: 2003: 6th, 2002: 3rd, 2001: 2nd)

Just for contrast,Britain's top-seller, the Ford Focus, was 9th, 8th, 8th
respectively in Germany.

Here are the 2003 & 2002 figs:
http://www.kfz-auskunft.de/kfz/pkw_n...ngen_2003.html

Happy and peaceful year to one and all.
DAS
---

++++++++++++++++++++++

Old January 1st 05, 12:38 AM
Nicik Name

"Cutiebunny" > wrote in message
> Hello there, have you been to BMW's website? I saw their new 3-series

today
> and I was relieved to see that it doesn't look as bad as the 5-series.
> Overall it looks fine, although I still prefer the hood on the current
> 3-series, in which the kidney grills are built into the hood. The new
> 3-series hood is separated from the kidney grills, just like the new
> 5-series. The new 3 supposedly has a better performance but I hope it is
> also as reliable.
>
> What do you all think of the new 3-series?

Looks like ****
---
633CSI

2006 MOR3.. Scott C BMW 0 December 7th 04 09:04 AM
BMW series 5 disables Dynamic Stability Control and ABS [email protected] BMW 6 December 1st 04 06:02 PM
BMW 1 series sales figures for Sept. '04 Peter Bozz BMW 7 October 12th 04 12:59 PM
buying bmw 325 (2005 vs 2006) Ruwan BMW 2 September 19th 04 11:27 PM
Workshop manual Spider series 4 Alfaspider Alfa Romeo 0 June 17th 04 10:27 PM