Alfa 156 2.5 Vs 2.0

Old August 6th 04, 05:22 PM
Mark

Default Alfa 156 2.5 Vs 2.0

Hi all, Im after a bit of advice as to what 156 to buy. I have been
looking at a 156 2.5 v6 veloce but I read somewhere recently that said
the 2.5 isn't that much quicker than the 2.0 TS. I am after a quickish
car sub 8secs to 60, but don't want to fork out the extra on a v6 if
its not really worth it. Is there any other differences other than the
engine? Also, if anyone has driven these some user opinions would be
nice.

Thanks
Old August 6th 04, 06:57 PM
Hans de Heer

"Mark" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi all, Im after a bit of advice as to what 156 to buy. I have been
> looking at a 156 2.5 v6 veloce but I read somewhere recently that said
> the 2.5 isn't that much quicker than the 2.0 TS. I am after a quickish
> car sub 8secs to 60, but don't want to fork out the extra on a v6 if
> its not really worth it. Is there any other differences other than the
> engine? Also, if anyone has driven these some user opinions would be
> nice.

2.0TS 2.5V6
topspeed 216 km/h 230 km/h
acceleration 0-100 km/h 8,6 s 7,3 s

So you could say that the V6 is considerably faster than the 2.0TS. And of
course the V6 has the added bonus of great engine sound. Downside of the V6
is the considerably higher gas usage. Less miles per gallon, but more smiles
per gallon!

--
Regards, Hans
Alfa Romeo 156 Selespeed - 1999

Old August 6th 04, 07:09 PM
SteveH

Mark > wrote:

> Hi all, Im after a bit of advice as to what 156 to buy. I have been
> looking at a 156 2.5 v6 veloce but I read somewhere recently that said
> the 2.5 isn't that much quicker than the 2.0 TS. I am after a quickish
> car sub 8secs to 60, but don't want to fork out the extra on a v6 if
> its not really worth it. Is there any other differences other than the
> engine? Also, if anyone has driven these some user opinions would be
> nice.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the 156, but I have driven 155s with
both 2.5 and 2lt engines.

In my opinion, the 2lt is the one to go for as the V6 just doesn't
justify the extra weight it's carrying.

VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
Old August 7th 04, 08:32 AM
Antti

"SteveH" > wrote in message
> Mark > wrote:
>
> > Hi all, Im after a bit of advice as to what 156 to buy. I have been
> > looking at a 156 2.5 v6 veloce but I read somewhere recently that said
> > the 2.5 isn't that much quicker than the 2.0 TS. I am after a quickish
> > car sub 8secs to 60, but don't want to fork out the extra on a v6 if
> > its not really worth it. Is there any other differences other than the
> > engine? Also, if anyone has driven these some user opinions would be
> > nice.

> Unfortunately, I can't comment on the 156, but I have driven 155s with
> both 2.5 and 2lt engines.
>
> In my opinion, the 2lt is the one to go for as the V6 just doesn't
> justify the extra weight it's carrying.

In 155 the power diffrence is only 13 hp but in 156 its 42hp and its
different story.
If you want faster 156 go for V6. Minus side is that bigger fuel comsuption.
But plus sides are better lasting cam belt and no variable cam variator
problems.
I have drove 155 with 2l 156 2l and 156 V6 engines. No change with 2.0
against V6.

Antti
156 V6

Old August 7th 04, 09:26 AM
Ppelectron

>Hi all, Im after a bit of advice as to what 156 to buy. I have been
>looking at a 156 2.5 v6 veloce but I read somewhere recently that said
>the 2.5 isn't that much quicker than the 2.0 TS. I am after a quickish
>car sub 8secs to 60, but don't want to fork out the extra on a v6 if
>its not really worth it. Is there any other differences other than the
>engine? Also, if anyone has driven these some user opinions would be
>nice.
>
>Thanks

You need to test drive both the 2.0 and the 2.5 before you decide. Lot's of
salesmen told me there was not much difference, but then they only had 2.0
versions for sale. I test drove both and I can honestly say there is a huge
difference between them. If you are looking for a quick Alfa, you will fall in
love with the 2.5 for sure. I get about 28MPG out of my 2.5 and that is with a
mixture of motorway and town driving.

Don't forget, apart from getting the brilliant V6 engine, you also get a lovely
6-speed manual gearbox if you buy the 2.5. The only Alfa that I lust after more
than my 2.5 is the 156 GTA 3.2 V6. Maybe next time ....

Phil 156 2.5 V6 1998

Old August 7th 04, 09:37 AM
canard

> Unfortunately, I can't comment on the 156, but I have driven 155s with
> both 2.5 and 2lt engines.
>
> In my opinion, the 2lt is the one to go for as the V6 just doesn't
> justify the extra weight it's carrying.

Agreed: if you try and follow a 2litre car driven at its limit through
the turns you will find the V6 pushing off the road. Cross-country,
I'd go for the 2litre. For roads with no bends I'd go for the V6.

AndyM
Old August 7th 04, 10:47 AM
Alfistagj

"canard" > schreef in bericht
om...
> For roads with no bends I'd go for the V6.
>
> AndyM

Why follow a road with no bends; after 40000km's you'll end up at the same
position you left ;-(
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

Old August 7th 04, 05:21 PM
SteveH

Ppelectron > wrote:

> >Hi all, Im after a bit of advice as to what 156 to buy. I have been
> >looking at a 156 2.5 v6 veloce but I read somewhere recently that said
> >the 2.5 isn't that much quicker than the 2.0 TS. I am after a quickish
> >car sub 8secs to 60, but don't want to fork out the extra on a v6 if
> >its not really worth it. Is there any other differences other than the
> >engine? Also, if anyone has driven these some user opinions would be
> >nice.
> >
> >Thanks

> You need to test drive both the 2.0 and the 2.5 before you decide. Lot's of
> salesmen told me there was not much difference, but then they only had 2.0
> versions for sale. I test drove both and I can honestly say there is a huge
> difference between them. If you are looking for a quick Alfa, you will fall in
> love with the 2.5 for sure. I get about 28MPG out of my 2.5 and that is with a
> mixture of motorway and town driving.

Hint: the accelerator is the one on the right ;-)
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
Old August 7th 04, 05:44 PM
Antti

"canard" > wrote in message
om...
> > Unfortunately, I can't comment on the 156, but I have driven 155s with
> > both 2.5 and 2lt engines.
> >
> > In my opinion, the 2lt is the one to go for as the V6 just doesn't
> > justify the extra weight it's carrying.

> Agreed: if you try and follow a 2litre car driven at its limit through
> the turns you will find the V6 pushing off the road. Cross-country,
> I'd go for the 2litre. For roads with no bends I'd go for the V6.

if you drive ONLY at track days (very curvy tracks) and you are SKILLFULL
driver then go for 2.0 , in everyday use different roads 2 litres really
doesnt have any change. You just need to upgrade the original suspension
more stiffer.

Antti

Alfa 155 Manual SteveH Alfa Romeo 10 March 17th 05 07:30 AM
alfa gt vs alfa 147 suspension Pete Alfa Romeo 1 July 17th 04 08:09 PM
Alfa 164 ABS Warning D & J Merrylees Alfa Romeo 0 May 24th 04 07:37 AM
Light at the end of the tunnel for UK Alfa drivers?? Alfistagj Alfa Romeo 0 May 22nd 04 11:08 AM
Giulietta e Nuova 147 Plug-in Bourne Alfa Romeo 0 May 13th 04 01:16 PM