help me ID my old hubcap? desoto? packard? buick? no clue...(pix)

Old January 31st 05, 07:55 PM
dave

Default help me ID my old hubcap? desoto? packard? buick? no clue...(pix)

would some kind soul please help me ID this old hubcap? I think it's
stainless steel, seeing as there's NO rust on it anywhere, front OR
back. not sure what automakers' "shield" it is pressed into its' center
there....

http://members.cox.net/hardwares/unk...ntique_hubcap/

I'd be interested in what "year range it might be from", or, better yet,
what year it's "known to be from" (that is if anyone knows). my guess is
it's late fourties, maybe early fifties... <but ?> can anyone be more
precise?

thanks in advance for educating me,

tool_box :-)

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =IMPORTANT= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
for e-mail reply, PLEASE remove the weirdstuff from my address FIRST
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Old January 31st 05, 11:26 PM
George Patterson

dave wrote:

> would some kind soul please help me ID this old hubcap? I think it's
> stainless steel, seeing as there's NO rust on it anywhere, front OR
> back. not sure what automakers' "shield" it is pressed into its' center
> there....

That's a Buick shield. SS was used for trim during the 30s and 40s.

George Patterson
He who marries for money earns every penny of it.
Old February 1st 05, 04:12 AM
dave

> Let me take a try at this, the hubcap is
> of the Caddy sombrero type. The trouble
> is that the crest is Buick pre 60 s..The
> Cadillac Div made these from about 1947
> to 1952.. I ll try to remember if Buick
> used this type or not.

thanks dan and george, we're "narrowing it down some", which is great.
this site
http://www.prewarbuick.com/1929_to__34.htm
didn't show ANY buicks with that hubcap (but, admittedly, some of the
shots didn't show hubcaps at ALL, as if 'full front views only', and
similar). also, some of the photos were just 'too dang small to tell'
what the hubcaps were like...

in any event, it looks to me that 'most' of the prewar buicks had '2
piece hubcap systems', consisting of an outer 'beauty ring' and an inner
'baby moon' type central cap (so now I'll go find some old caddy pix....)

still looking, and thanks again, let's keep narrowing it ;-)

mr tool ;-/
Old February 2nd 05, 03:33 AM
J. Dan Jones

1953 Buick

page 4 of one off a kind items - General motors on site: www.vapinc.com
item 0232 $45

Old March 5th 05, 11:38 PM
Steve Richardson

A very similar emblem at this odd site called "classiccarsrotting.com",
labeled (as others have said) "Buick emblem?":
http://classiccarsrotting.com/ccrtou...blems_770.html

Or there's a nice emblem on eBay from a 50 Buick with this same design:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4531538543