Sway bar and bushing questions

Old October 15th 04, 12:38 PM
ares

Default Sway bar and bushing questions

I thank you guys for tipping me off as to what might be making the noise in
my car, and was hoping you can just give me a little idea what IS a sway bar
and bushing? It only sounds like it's on my front passenger side wheel
area. In other words, are there 2 sway bars and bushings per axle or just
one? And is it part of the shocks and struts or something separate, and
does it have something to do with leveling the wheel on making left turns or
taking bumps? Thank you for your help.
ares

Old October 15th 04, 09:00 PM
ronzo

ares wrote:
> I thank you guys for tipping me off as to what might be making the noise in
> my car, and was hoping you can just give me a little idea what IS a sway bar
> and bushing? It only sounds like it's on my front passenger side wheel
> area. In other words, are there 2 sway bars and bushings per axle or just
> one? And is it part of the shocks and struts or something separate, and
> does it have something to do with leveling the wheel on making left turns or
> taking bumps? Thank you for your help.
> ares

I am by no means an expert but changing the bushings is rather easy
and I have changed mine recently. The swaybar is one unit that is bolted
to the frame and the bushings "cushion" the swaybar where they bolted.
It would be quite senseless to change one and not the other because
they are rather cheap,(I paid less than $20 for the pair), and easy to do.
If you have access to some jackstands, ramps, and/or a floorjack to
get the front end up, crawl under the front end with I believe a 3/8
deep socket, you can change them quite easily. I did one at a time so
the swaybar was never totally disconnected from the frame.
Also dipping the new bushings in vegetable oil will help them from
drying out. I'm sure some other posters can give you some other pointers
to help you.
You could also pick up a chilton's or haynes manual. There not as
complete as the pro's manuals but they're only about $15, and they can
help some and they're good to have for a reference.
Old October 15th 04, 09:00 PM
ronzo

Old October 16th 04, 04:30 PM
Scott

Sway bars help prevent lateral body roll. The object is to keep the car
"flat" through turns thus increasing handling and performance while
decreasing the chance of spin outs, excessive tire wear and the chance of
rolling the car. A bushing is usually a round part (many times rubber) that
guide a larger cylindrical part to it's intended mating part. While these
wear, it is cheaper to replace them than the part it "assists". What kind
of car do you own?

Old October 16th 04, 04:30 PM
Scott

Old October 17th 04, 01:21 AM
ares

1997 Dodge Caravan. I have a thread in here about my problem with the
noise.

We've been keeping up pretty well with maintenance, but now the Check Engine
soon light is on; came on 2 months ago and we had the guy reset it as he
couldn't find a problem with that either. Then again, hubby bought a fuel
filter several months ago and has yet to put THAT on; he didn't know where
it was located and all I can find now is that you have to remove the fuel
tank to change the filter, argh..............but maybe it needs it and could
be why the light came on, or perhaps that we sometimes fuel up extra
containers and add gas to the car from containers and maybe some leaks onto
a sensor?
And I'm due for an oil change too. I thought I was done with this car's
repairs for this year!
ares

. com...

Old October 17th 04, 01:21 AM
ares

[...]

. com...

Old October 18th 04, 06:16 PM
deadbeat

You have to have a cose reader to see why the check engine light comes on.
And it would help if you could describe any symptoms as to when the engine
light comes on. The fuel filter should be chnged if it has not been done. It
is not that difficult, even though you have to lower the tank. Use the key
on trick to pull the codes yourself, or go to Autozone to see what the
problems are. Also, alot of the times it comes on for people just after
gassing up the vehicle. And the gas cap is not tightened enough. Then you
just retighten the cap and the light will reset itself after 5 good drives
with no problems.

Old October 18th 04, 06:16 PM
deadbeat

Old October 20th 04, 01:21 PM
Scott

If it's true that you have to remove the gas tank to change the fuel
filter, then Chrysler deserves the "Worst Engineering" award for the
century. Follow the fuel line from back to front of the van; it's supposed
to be on the passanger side frame rail by the sliding door. The check
engine light could be anything from an oxygen sensor to a simple light
reminding you to change the oil. Sending units and bad spark plugs might be
the problem too. This is why I bought a '65 big block Dodge.... no stupid
computers!!!!!