Hurricanes Really Blow, Literally

Old July 10th 05, 03:27 AM
dwight

"SVTKate" > wrote in message
hlink.net...

> "dwight" > wrote in message
> : "SVTKate" > wrote in message
> : hlink.net...
> : > Hey dwight...
> : > no foolin... if you need a place to hide out.
> : > We are in Henderson county.
> :
> : Appreciated, Kate, but I'm not leaving this new place. (I had so much
> fun
> : doing my "forensic gardening" last weekend that I didn't go anywhere.
> And
> : didn't want to.)
> :
> : By the time Dennis gets here at the end of next week, we'll probably
> need
> : the rain.
> :
>
> I know WE do. Our place has cracks so deep in the clay that I swear a
> Chinaman is hollering at me from the other side of the big one by the back
> porch.
>
> Forensic gardening?
>
> I'd like to know more about THAT!
> We have had some interesting discoveries on our place. Nothing to shout
> about, just weird little heaps of junk hidden amongst the leaves.

We took possession of the place on May 20th. The back edge of the property
is bordered by a chain link fence that separates us from the reservoir. That
chain link fence is overgrown with vines and ivy. I have about 100' of brush
and overgrowth growing along that fence, anywhere from 20' to 30' deep. One
week, I found roses blooming inside that mess. Then a yellow day lily poked
up through the thicket. After staring at it for a month, I decided to start
cutting it back, 'cause I have plans for next year...

The first feature I uncovered was a carefully placed border of rocks. Five
feet deeper, I found a pair of tall "decorative grasses" - the large round
growths that look like spider plants. I cut around what roses I found, and
pulled a ton of weeds and vines out from the area. I uncovered several
lilies in there, too.

It's kind of like an archeological dig - I have to be careful not to chop
out something that should stay. But my 100' of tangled mess is little by
little looking like a planned landscape.

Funny part is, ALL of it is coming out this fall. I'm going to nuke the
space and lay down a cut-flower garden in the spring.

dwight

Old July 10th 05, 03:28 AM
dwight

"Spike" > wrote in message

> Forensic gardening?????? Are we growing a new crop of Jimmy Hoffas?
> Or is this a politically correct name for Potter's Field burials? LOL
> : )

It's my phrase for uncovering a garden that looks like it's been let go for
about five years.

The good news - it seems that everything grows VERY well around here.
(Especially dandelions.)

dwight

Old July 10th 05, 03:31 AM
dwight

"Spike" > wrote in message
> Philly... isn't that the other cheese place? OK, at least I was
> polite enough not to mention the "City of "Brotherly Love".... LOL
> Where truckers carry tire irons into the facilities at rest stops in
> order to protect themselves.... That's what they claim anyway....

That's odd. Wonder why...

Half the truck drivers are gay. Maybe the other half carries those tire
irons as protection against THEM.

dwight

Old July 10th 05, 04:02 AM
SVTKate

These are just the plastic ones silly, the house is only 7 years old.

"Spike" > wrote in message
: do know what people pay for those Dr Pepper bottles?
:
: On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 21:34:10 GMT, "SVTKate"
: > wrote:
:
: >ROFLMAO!
: >Actually, there IS an old Sturebaker just on the other side of our
property
: >line hidden out in the trees. Upside down and rusted to death.
: >Found pieces of an old stove, and the stash where the roofers hid their
: >trimmings and Dr Pepper bottles. I don'[t understand why people out here
: >don't use construction dumpsters rather than just pushing it into a pile
out
: >of sight.
: >
: >I suppose that since we came from a place where property is at a premium,
we
: >learned to care for every inch we could.
: >
: >Kate
: >
: >"William Claude Dukenfield" <William Claude > wrote
in
: >message news : >: On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 18:32:28 GMT, "SVTKate"
: >: > wrote:
: >: >We have had some interesting discoveries on our place. Nothing to
shout
: >: >about, just weird little heaps of junk hidden amongst the leaves.
: >:
: >: That's called a Toyota!
: >:
: >
:
: Spike
: 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
: Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
: 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
: 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.
:
: "When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
: I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
: -JFK Inaugural Address

Old July 10th 05, 04:17 AM
WindsorFox[SS]

SVTKate wrote:
> "WindsorFox[SS]" > wrote in message
> : SVTKate wrote:
> : > "Spike" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : > : UH, OH!!!!!!!
> : > : Batten down the hatches, Ma!!!!!!
> : > :
> : > Shaddap... or I'll run up and lick the handle on your Mustang and call
> dibs!
> : > LOL
> : >
> : > Now that you HAVE handles!
> : >
> : >
> : >
> :
> :
> : <cough> Did she say she was gonna lick yer handles??? :-O
> :
> :
>
> Jealous?
>
> LMAO!
>
> Have you not seen that commercial?

Heh, apparently not. LOL!

--
"Network management is like trying to herd cats."
-- Unknown

"I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges?"
-- TazAmd - Humor Section Gettingtogather.com
Old July 10th 05, 04:18 AM
SVTKate

"dwight" > wrote
[...]

Sounds pretty interesting. I think it would be fun to find all those
goodies, like you said, like sorting through ruins.
You can always transplant the things you want to keep, or replant them.

We have been working on a brick and cobblestone patio in the front of the
house, it replaced a weed patch that was prone to flooding after a rain. The
previous owner didn't do much with it so it was a big mess out there.
http://www.kizthiz.com/patiobefore.jpg
The plants on the stairs were dug up from the original space, I am still
trying to find them a home.
They shocked pretty badly because of the heat.

It turned out real well..
http://www.kizthiz.com/patioafter.jpg
now all we have to do is get the accent pieces, a bistro table, small bench
and some planters. It will be a nice place to watch the sunset and really
made a difference on the entry of the house.
Next will be to get rid of the columns, put in porch rails and shutters and
paint the front door white.

*sigh*
it never ends.

Kate

Old July 10th 05, 07:38 AM
Garth Almgren

Around 7/9/2005 8:18 PM, SVTKate wrote:

> We have been working on a brick and cobblestone patio in the front of the
> house, it replaced a weed patch that was prone to flooding after a rain. The
> previous owner didn't do much with it so it was a big mess out there.
> http://www.kizthiz.com/patiobefore.jpg

I can be very detail oriented, and being from the rainy northwest the
first thing I thought about the "before" picture was "No wonder it
floods; That downspout is pointing the wrong way for that splashblock to
do any good."

> The plants on the stairs were dug up from the original space, I am still
> trying to find them a home.
> They shocked pretty badly because of the heat.
>
> It turned out real well..
> http://www.kizthiz.com/patioafter.jpg

Indeed it did. That looks much better. Makes for a smoother transition
IMO. (grass -> cement -> lotsa brick)

--
/ Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
| My V6stang: http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |
Old July 10th 05, 12:53 PM
SVTKate

"WindsorFox[SS]" > wrote
: > :
: > : <cough> Did she say she was gonna lick yer handles??? :-O
: > :
: > :
: >
: > Jealous?
: >
: > LMAO!
: >
: > Have you not seen that commercial?
: >
: >
: >
:
: Heh, apparently not. LOL!
:

It's a VW commercial, where they announce this big sale.
Some guy is standing out by a Jetta as a young couple approaches with a
salesman.
The guy in desperation licks the handle to 'claim' his car making it
undesirable for the couple approaching.

kind of like you would do with a candy that your little brother wanted.

Old July 10th 05, 12:54 PM
SVTKate

"Garth Almgren" > wrote
: >
: > It turned out real well..
: > http://www.kizthiz.com/patioafter.jpg
:
: Indeed it did. That looks much better. Makes for a smoother transition
: IMO. (grass -> cement -> lotsa brick)
:
:
Thanks Garth.
We have been doing a LOT out there this summer.
It has been very rewarding though.

Old July 10th 05, 01:19 PM
2.3Sleeper

"Kidd Andersson" > wrote in message
> Spike wrote:
> > They do, but I'd rather a hurricane than a tornado.
> >

> Having been through both (The Okie F-4 in 98 and last year's Florida
> 'canes),

What F4 are you talking about in 1998? We had a F5 May 3rd of 1999, and a F4
May 8th of 2003. They were 3 F3's in 1998. There was also the F2 that hit
Moore in October of 1998. Can you help me out here, I am lost?

Don Manning

vents blow alr out the defrost and florr richard Ford Mustang 8 July 5th 05 05:50 AM
1993 4x4 Explorer EEC Fuse continues to blow and engine quits. s388ra Ford Explorer 0 March 4th 05 09:42 PM
Electric Door Locks Blow Fuses Bill Hall Ford Explorer 2 February 24th 05 06:21 PM
sparkplug blow by Knight Jeep 5 January 22nd 05 04:02 AM
GW caused the Hurricanes in Fl. Mitch_A Simulators 41 November 10th 04 09:46 AM