1996 dodge intrepid 3.5 ltr with auto stick

Old July 10th 05, 08:20 AM
imohrs

Default 1996 dodge intrepid 3.5 ltr with auto stick

please please help me my brother passed away and my mother aquired his 1996
dodge intrepid with a 3.5 ltr motor the car ran great for two years and
then two weeks ago it lost reverse and was stuck in second gear me and my
brothers are very mechanicly inclined and we put a trans in the car we
were all done drove the car for about 30 minutes took it home and parked
it it still had the same problem stuck in second gear but we did have
reverse thinking we bought a bad trannny we took the old one out again and
yesterday put a third one in low and behold drove the car for about a half
hour shifted perfect threw all gear then all of a sudden it was stuck in
second gear again we cant figgure it out we thought the computer was bad
so we tried that same thing somebody told me the computer might need to be
programmed dont know please help me my mother is heart broken over this she
truely loves this car i keep thinking that the tranny computer harness
might be bad but i really dont know any help will be greatly appreciated
thanks you

Old July 11th 05, 08:36 AM
Shakes73

"" wrote:
> please please help me my brother passed away and my mother
> aquired his 1996
> dodge intrepid with a 3.5 ltr motor the car ran great for two
> years and
> then two weeks ago it lost reverse and was stuck in second
> gear me and my
> brothers are very mechanicly inclined and we put a trans in
> the car we
> were all done drove the car for about 30 minutes took it home
> and parked
> it it still had the same problem stuck in second gear but we
> did have
> reverse thinking we bought a bad trannny we took the old one
> out again and
> yesterday put a third one in low and behold drove the car for
> about a half
> hour shifted perfect threw all gear then all of a sudden it
> was stuck in
> second gear again we cant figgure it out we thought the
> computer was bad
> so we tried that same thing somebody told me the computer
> might need to be
> programmed dont know please help me my mother is heart broken
> over this she
> truely loves this car i keep thinking that the tranny computer
> harness
> might be bad but i really dont know any help will be greatly
> appreciated
> thanks you

Sorry to hear about your brother imohrs.These trannys shift using a
computer if you went through 2 already I would say the computer is
bad.First check all your fuses then try disconnecting the battery for
5 mins.,reconnect then drive.If it shifts good for a short time then
goes back to actting up then you have a computer problem I would say.

Also make sure the big square plug on the trans. is locked down snug
and no dirt has fallin down into the terminals.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Dodge-1996...ict128312.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=626337