right-on-red stress

Old July 9th 05, 01:06 AM
Jim Yanik

"brink" > wrote in
:

> "Paul." > wrote in message
> th.net...
>> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 13:46:32 -0400, small , said the following in
>> rec.autos.driving...
>>
>>> I'm in a new town. I don't feel comfortable turning right-on-red
>>> with the amount of traffic. Most of these types of intersections are
>>> marked "no right turn on red" where I'm from and it just seems bad
>>> to gun the

>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> gas on red to save a few seconds. It would be too easy to miss a
>>> speeding car on a yellow light or a pedestrian. Lots of people speed
>>> here. Cars here beep at people that don't turn on red. How do I
>>> handle these beepers? If I don't feel comfortable, would it be a
>>> mistake to turn?
>>>

>> If, as you say, the intersection is marked "no right turn on red," it
>> would be a big mistake to make the turn on a red light. Cause an
>> accident, you pay; cop sees you, get a ticket. If its not signed as
>> such, then IIRC, you are under no obligation to make the turn untill
>> you get a green light. Ignore the honkers.

> what's the legal definition of this phenomenon? say a driver in a
> right turn only lane is sitting at a red light, there's no one there
> except himself and the driver behind him. let's say it's late at
> night, so there's NO other traffic in ANY direction. they're sitting
> there for one... two minutes (let's say it's a poorly engineered
> intersection) and driver A could EASILY make a RH turn because there's
> really no danger of other cars at all. driver B is being clearly
> inconvenienced to the tune of two minutes because of driver A's
> timidity/stubbornness.
>
> is there any legal violation here? can an officer cite for
> obstructing flow or something else like that?
>
> just wondering...
>
> brink

I believe right-on-red turns (where permissible) are OPTIONAL,driver's
choice,not mandatory.

They get to decide if they can do it safely or not.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old July 9th 05, 01:09 AM
Jim Yanik

"Bernard Farquart" > wrote in
:

> "small" > wrote in message
>> On 8 Jul 2005 10:49:27 -0700, "N8N" > wrote:
>>
>>>It's always a mistake to do something you don't feel 100% comfortable
>>>with when driving. That said if people are honking at you perhaps you
>>>could try to be more observant of "gaps" in traffic that you could use.
>>> But still if you aren't comfortable and confident in making a maneuver
>>>you shouldn't do it.

>> The beeps have been more on the friendly side, like a car that forgets
>> to go on green, but they still have been stressful. I'm from a
>> smaller town and beeps are reserved for accidents about to happen, so
>> when someone beeps, I feel the stress of an accident about to happen.
>> I can desensative myself to it and know that it might just be someone
>> wanting to save 10 seconds.

> If turning right on red is that stressfull, what in the heck do
> you do at a stop sign?
>
> This is pretty clearly a troll, as far as I can see.
>
> Bernard

Yes,if driving is that stressful,then perhaps the poster would be better
off not driving.(and safer for the rest of us)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old July 9th 05, 02:47 AM
Ted Kennedy murdered his pregnant mistress

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
> small wrote:
> > I'm in a new town. I don't feel comfortable turning right-on-red with
> > the amount of traffic. Most of these types of intersections are marked
> > "no right turn on red" where I'm from and it just seems bad to gun the
> > gas on red to save a few seconds. It would be too easy to miss a
> > speeding car on a yellow light or a pedestrian. Lots of people speed
> > here. Cars here beep at people that don't turn on red. How do I handle
> > these beepers? If I don't feel comfortable, would it be a mistake to
> > turn?

> If you're in a lane for straight ahead OR right turn, then don't use
> your directional signal until right before you make the turn.

Damned, as stupid as you are, I'd be surprised if you ever used your
directional signal.

And as much of a POS as you drive, I doubt your directionals work
anyway.

Old July 9th 05, 03:22 AM
brink

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> small > wrote:
>
>> I'm in a new town. I don't feel comfortable turning right-on-red with
>> the amount of traffic. Most of these types of intersections are marked
>> "no right turn on red" where I'm from and it just seems bad to gun the
>> gas on red to save a few seconds. It would be too easy to miss a
>> speeding car on a yellow light or a pedestrian. Lots of people speed
>> here. Cars here beep at people that don't turn on red. How do I handle
>> these beepers? If I don't feel comfortable, would it be a mistake to
>> turn?

> No. If you don't feel comfortable turning right on red, then don't.
> Right turns on red are treated like a stop sign.

so you stop at a stop sign until you get a "go" sign?

;-)

brink

Old July 9th 05, 03:26 AM
C.H.

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 13:46:32 -0400, small wrote:

> I'm in a new town. I don't feel comfortable turning right-on-red with the
> amount of traffic. Most of these types of intersections are marked "no
> right turn on red" where I'm from and it just seems bad to gun the gas on
> red to save a few seconds. It would be too easy to miss a speeding car on
> a yellow light or a pedestrian. Lots of people speed here. Cars here beep
> at people that don't turn on red. How do I handle these beepers? If I
> don't feel comfortable, would it be a mistake to turn?

If even a rather simple situation, like turning right on red, is too hard
on you, you should not be driving at all.

Chris
Old July 9th 05, 05:29 PM
John David Galt

small wrote:
> I'm in a new town. I don't feel comfortable turning right-on-red with
> the amount of traffic. Most of these types of intersections are marked
> "no right turn on red" where I'm from and it just seems bad to gun the
> gas on red to save a few seconds. It would be too easy to miss a
> speeding car on a yellow light or a pedestrian. Lots of people speed
> here. Cars here beep at people that don't turn on red. How do I handle
> these beepers? If I don't feel comfortable, would it be a mistake to
> turn?

If you're unwilling to go when it's clearly safe, get out of town.
Old July 9th 05, 07:58 PM
laura halliday

small > wrote:

> I'm in a new town. I don't feel comfortable turning
> right-on-red with the amount of traffic...If I don't
> feel comfortable, would it be a mistake to turn?

It's a mistake to do anything you don't feel comfortable
doing. It's *your* decision, and *your* responsibility.
The responsibility that comes with driving. If you're
not comfortable with that responsibility, you shouldn't
be driving. Big city driving is always the same:
extremely defensive, slightly offensive, and a little
bit animal. You may need to adjust a bit yourself.

With that said, I live in a town where many drivers
have decided that right turns on red are mandatory
(they're not), that any car-sized gap in the cross
traffic is fair game (it isn't), and that microsecond
delays are apparently a matter of life and death (yeah,
right...).

Since my car is lots lower than the SUVs that pollute
our roads, I often can't even *see* the cross traffic,
and occasionally get honked at myself. If it's
safe, I proceed. If it's not, I don't. The decision
is mine, and always will be. I don't give a ****
what the honking moron behind me thinks.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Yeah but no but
Grid: CN89mg yeah but no but..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - V. Pollard

Old July 9th 05, 10:10 PM
Larry Bud

small wrote:
> I'm in a new town. I don't feel comfortable turning right-on-red with
> the amount of traffic. Most of these types of intersections are marked
> "no right turn on red" where I'm from and it just seems bad to gun the
> gas on red to save a few seconds. It would be too easy to miss a
> speeding car on a yellow light or a pedestrian. Lots of people speed
> here. Cars here beep at people that don't turn on red. How do I handle
> these beepers? If I don't feel comfortable, would it be a mistake to
> turn?

I suggest not driving or taking some driving lessons.

What in God's name do you do on a flashing red for a left turn?

Old July 9th 05, 10:10 PM
Larry Bud

Old July 9th 05, 11:18 PM
Old Wolf

Tim923 wrote:

> I have driven in Connecticut near NYC and even there people use
> blinkers and change lanes smoothly, not like racecar drivers.

Huh? Race tracks don't have lanes, except for the pit lane,
and in all the races I've seen, drivers enter the pit lane
pretty smoothly.

'99 Intrepid - Dealer Stripped Oil Pan Drain threads? officehelp1981 Chrysler 36 July 5th 05 11:13 AM
auto lockers [email protected] Jeep 50 May 2nd 05 10:47 PM
Lateral stress on sway bar mounts Carl Saiyed Jeep 5 April 20th 05 12:44 AM
Poor Milage linda grommon Dodge 26 March 12th 05 10:58 AM
Minimum Lift Question Fred Garvin Jeep 23 December 26th 04 06:46 PM