90 XJ Backup light switch - Adjust or replace?

Old May 15th 05, 06:48 PM
Snow

My local $tealership wanted over $300 for the neutral start switch last fall
when mine finally got so bad it would only start in "N". I did a simple
switch bypass and all is good now, I even have rev. lights (on a switch).
Hopefully in July I'll get around to rebuilding the switch.

4 years ago the rev. lights stopped working, considering we drive this XJ
about 35,000 KM's per year it took about 140,000 km's until complete switch
failure.

Snow...

Old May 16th 05, 02:36 PM
wkearney99

> I'll just pay them for what they have done so far, which is look up
> the part cost & R/R for the job.

Why pay them at all? Doing estimates is part of the overhead. Most of the
time they're lucking conning the customer into something hideously
overpriced. Not this time, eh?

Old May 16th 05, 11:42 PM
Diverman

Try to fix it yourself. Here's a link and it's easy to follow.
I did it myself and it's like new. I had the same symptoms.

http://jeepin.com/features/nss/index.asp

--
Diverman

Old May 17th 05, 03:08 AM
Drifter

On Mon, 16 May 2005 23:42:31 +0100, "Diverman"
> wrote:

>Try to fix it yourself. Here's a link and it's easy to follow.
>I did it myself and it's like new. I had the same symptoms.
>
>http://jeepin.com/features/nss/index.asp

I've done the same thing with my 97 XJ. In my case the grease had
gummed up to the point that the springs weren't pushing the contact
bars down. Removed the whole thing, cleaned it up, coated everything
in di-grease and it has worked perfectly since.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
Old May 18th 05, 06:41 AM
Kevin in San Diego

Or do like me and just bypass it
KH

Old May 20th 05, 02:24 AM
Dana Rohleder

New York State DMV doesn't think much of that solution for a street vehicle,
or I would.

Old May 20th 05, 03:56 AM
Kevin in San Diego

How does New York know what position your transmission is in when you start
it? What could you possibly do wrong with it bypassed?

Ive had mine bypassed for several years with no second thought about any of
it. I just start up every time. No more wiggling the shifter all day waiting
for the starter to catch.
KH

Old May 20th 05, 06:14 AM
Drifter

On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:56:46 -0700, "Kevin in San Diego"
> wrote:

>How does New York know what position your transmission is in when you start
>it? What could you possibly do wrong with it bypassed?
>
>Ive had mine bypassed for several years with no second thought about any of
>it. I just start up every time. No more wiggling the shifter all day waiting
>for the starter to catch.
>KH

Virginia wouldn't think much of it either. And they do check both
starting position and reverse light function when you have a vehicle
inspection. (Most of the Metro DC area garages are a "little" anal
about vehicle inspections).

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
Old May 20th 05, 02:15 PM
Dana Rohleder

The problem with my switch is that the backup lights don't come on when it
is in reverse, which is how the DMV checks it. The neutral safety portion
works as designed. Bypassing it or adding a manual switch may circumvent the
backup light issue, but if it doesn't satisfy the DMV, your SOL.

Dana
Port Kent, NY

"It's in our country's interests to find those who would do harm to us and
get them out of harm's way." GW Bush -Washington, D.C., April 28, 2005

Old May 20th 05, 02:38 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Dana,
So you know the problem is in the switch, your choices are buy a
new one, or clean the contacts on the one you have, and Mike has already
provided that helpful site at:
http://www.dirtdevils.org/briantechtippage.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Dana Rohleder wrote:

> The problem with my switch is that the backup lights don't come on when it
> is in reverse, which is how the DMV checks it. The neutral safety portion
> works as designed. Bypassing it or adding a manual switch may circumvent the
> backup light issue, but if it doesn't satisfy the DMV, your SOL.
>
> Dana
> Port Kent, NY

While on the subject of backup light switches... Johnnie VW water cooled 4 April 28th 05 01:22 PM
Ignition Switch Light - 99 A6 ...Mike Audi 3 February 27th 05 01:04 PM
E36 Light Switch Brian BMW 5 January 11th 05 06:34 PM
Ign Switch Failure examination 91 B3 dave VW water cooled 0 October 2nd 04 04:46 PM
S3(a3) light switch removal? Andy Audi 0 August 27th 04 04:40 PM