Copy of email to [email protected]

Old March 3rd 05, 09:51 PM
SteveH

Julian Edge > wrote:

> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
>
> > Good luck with this. You are on your own.

> Ah, no longer. Thanks, newsnet!
>
> > Your car was manufactured in 1996, so it must be a 1997 model, or I
> > suppose
> > it could be a late model '96. Given we are in '05 now, this makes the car
> > 9
> > years old, give or take a few months. I would expect a long list of rubber
> > and plastic parts are looking at replacement now or soon.

> Indeed, sir. As I said, I love the car, it's just the attitude / staff / je
> ne sais quoi / whatever / dare I say principle?
>
> Besides, most of the rubber and plastic bits have been replaced several
> times in the last few years, along with the head gasket and the rear
> suspension arms. I've never been 'shocked' until now.
>
> And fair play, the car has *never* let me down, which is more than I can say
> for my old Alpha.

What's one of those, then?
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - VW Passat 1.8T 20V SE - COSOC KOTL
Old March 3rd 05, 09:54 PM

Costing the net hundreds if not thousands of dollars, Peter Corlett
said:
> I'll be driving it until
> the engine blows up

You do know if you don't reach the chequered flag you're allowed to
change the engine whether it's done two races or not?

--
tiger tiger tiger tiger tiger tiger tiger tiger tiger
Old March 3rd 05, 09:55 PM
Julian Edge

"Andy Turner" > wrote in message

> So it's nearly 10 years old and needs £2,000 of work. Isn't that not
> exactly a shock? Have you tried taking the list of faults elsewhere
> and seeing how much they charge to fix those faults?

<sigh>
You are missing the point, Andy. I'll do that now.

*I* know that the car is fine. She'll run until one of us dies. However,
BM****ingW have rewarded my loyalty by kicking me in the ******** and thus
failing to endear me sufficiently to retain my custom.

>>I will continue to drive my beautiful 318i for as long as I can.

> Sell it, get another car. Just how beautiful can a 9-year old 318 be?

Sell it and buy what?

I've owned the car for four years. I think I know a little more about it
than any of you.

Old March 3rd 05, 09:57 PM
Alex Buell

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 21:49:50 -0000, "Julian Edge"
> wrote:

>"Alex Buell" > wrote in message
>
>>I'm shocked it was that much for a car that's only done 65,000 m

>Shocked? 'Shat' springs to mind!
>
>> and now you're writing it off.

>I'm not. They wanted =A32K for the service, the man told me the car is =

worth=20
>=A32K (with the service)

You could have taken it to an cheaper and reputable garage who would
have done it for far less outlay. It's what I've done.=20

>> I'm due to pay =A31,309 for my latest

>Alex, shpx bss mate. You would probably have sex with your Audi if you=20
>thought Mike Corley wasn't watching.

There's probably a law against it. Or something.

Cheers,
Alex.
--=20
http://www.munted.org.uk
Old March 3rd 05, 09:57 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Adrian" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> Jeff Strickland ) gurgled happily, sounding much
> like they were saying :
>
> > Good luck with this. You are on your own.
> >
> > Your car was manufactured in 1996, so it must be a 1997 model, or I
> > suppose it could be a late model '96. Given we are in '05 now, this
> > makes the car 9 years old, give or take a few months. I would expect a
> > long list of rubber and plastic parts are looking at replacement now
> > or soon.

> Oh, do me a favour! Nine years and 65k miles is a LONG way from being
> ancient. The stuff the OP mentioned - drive belts, wipers etc are service
> items.
>
> Still, what can we expect from a top poster who seems to be allergic to
> snipping posts?

First of all, take your complaints of top posting and blow them out your
ass. Second, I agree that the car is a long way from ancient, and third, the
point is that the rubber and plastic parts should be approaching end life.

In any case, except for the sitcker shock that it costs so much to repair, I
think there is nothing at all wrong here except the complaints that there is
sticker shock.

I once bought a used car that was only 3 years old. I took it for an oil
change and the guy came back with a list of over $5000 (USD) of stuff he
wanted me to buy. I recognized it as the ploy that it was, got the fresh oil
and kept my money for the other stuff. I never went back and I still own the
car.

If I were in the OP's position, my letter would be to the General Manager of
the dealership to express my displeasure at the attempted fleecing, and tell
him that he just lost a valuable client. I would not bother to write BMW.

My advice to the OP stands, get the stuff you can't do yourself done. Figure
out what you can do and do it yourself.

Since the car is 9 years old, perhaps an independant mechanic that
specializes in BMW would be a better choice than dealer servicing from here
on out.

Old March 3rd 05, 09:59 PM
SteveH

Julian Edge > wrote:

> >>I will continue to drive my beautiful 318i for as long as I can.

> > Sell it, get another car. Just how beautiful can a 9-year old 318 be?

> Sell it and buy what?

Anything that isn't an E36.

VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - VW Passat 1.8T 20V SE - COSOC KOTL
Old March 3rd 05, 09:59 PM

Costing the net hundreds if not thousands of dollars, Julian Edge said:

> Sell it and buy what?

I know several people who enjoy driving Honda Accords.
--
tiger tiger tiger tiger tiger tiger tiger tiger tiger
Old March 3rd 05, 10:00 PM
Tim S Kemp

Andrew Thomas wrote:

> Note to everyone else: "155" and "75" are four-door Alfa Romeos. You
> didn't miss much.

155 was a Tipo in drag. 75 however was a work of art and better to drive
than its contemporary 3 series.

--
We are the keepers of the sacred words: Ni, Pang,
and Ni-wom!