Newbie question: 2002 Wrangler Sport

Old June 21st 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Newbie question: 2002 Wrangler Sport

I just bought a stock 2002 Wrangler Sport, 4.0L, Automatic, 4WD (of course),
48K miles. This is my first Wrangler (I had a 4WD '93 Cherokee some years
back, but that doesn't count :-)

At low speeds, less than around 5 mph, there is a pronounced growl and
vibrations from what feels like the front end.

At first, I thought it needed a brake job, and made the dealer agree to fix
it.

But, I've since discovered that it does this even when the brakes aren't
being applied.

Above 5 mph, the noise and vibrations go away and it runs smooth.

My question is, is this normal, or is something probably wrong?

I was hoping some of you veterans would have some advice.

Thanks!

Old June 21st 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

You have a u-joint at each wheel. If one is bad it can make noise. If
you cut the wheels to the side and look, you can wiggle it to see if
it's loose or if you see rust stains at the caps then it is likely dead.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old June 21st 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Darrell,
See if you can find a little unevenness in the tire tread. Cupping
unfortunately is almost normal with mud and snow designed tires on a
straight axle, and why we must rotate tires every five thousand miles.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Darrell Pittman wrote:

> I just bought a stock 2002 Wrangler Sport, 4.0L, Automatic, 4WD (of course),
> 48K miles. This is my first Wrangler (I had a 4WD '93 Cherokee some years
> back, but that doesn't count :-)
>
> At low speeds, less than around 5 mph, there is a pronounced growl and
> vibrations from what feels like the front end.
>
> At first, I thought it needed a brake job, and made the dealer agree to fix
> it.
>
> But, I've since discovered that it does this even when the brakes aren't
> being applied.
>
> Above 5 mph, the noise and vibrations go away and it runs smooth.
>
> My question is, is this normal, or is something probably wrong?
>
> I was hoping some of you veterans would have some advice.
>
> Thanks!

Newbie question on installing a lift myself Glaser Jeep 3 December 10th 05 02:05 PM
Newbie Question About HubCaps BrotherPatrick VW air cooled 3 October 26th 05 02:48 AM
2002 Wrangler "Heater-A/C Kick Cover" question... Doug Boynton Jeep 8 September 15th 05 02:22 PM
2002 QUESTION Mark Mathews Corvette 5 August 9th 05 01:21 AM
2002 X5 Trunk Connector Question John BMW 2 December 21st 04 10:17 PM