98 Civic Blower motor noise

Old March 21st 10, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Question Quigley[_3_]

Default 98 Civic Blower motor noise

My '98 civic will be humming along with the blower fan on and all of a
sudden it will make a gawd-awful noise like something is stuck in the fan.
I pulled the fan and operated it out of its housing and it seemed to be OK,
with no noise and no noticeable wobbling or imbalance.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dennis

doregan at verizon dot net

Old March 21st 10, 03:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty[_3_]

Question Quigley wrote:
> My '98 civic will be humming along with the blower fan on and all of a
> sudden it will make a gawd-awful noise like something is stuck in the fan.
> I pulled the fan and operated it out of its housing and it seemed to be OK,
> with no noise and no noticeable wobbling or imbalance.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Dennis
>
> doregan at verizon dot net

I had a similar problem with my Accord. Turned out to be from squirrels
nesting and eating in places where debris could fall into the cabin air
intake. At least that's what I postulated since the fan housing where
the impeller is was full of leaves, half eaten acorns, twigs, and such.
I've had to remove nests from the Accord and my truck on many occasions
even after they'd only been sitting overnight. Industrial rats. The dogs
got the last one.
Old March 21st 10, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Question Quigley[_3_]

Thanks, Nasty.

I pulled the fan and cleaned it out, but I am still getting the noise after
a few minutes. I also disconnected the resistor which let the fan run on
high only. It was quiet for a few minutes, but the noise came back. The
inside of the housing appears clean (no debris) so I'm guessing it is the
fan motor itself.

Again, thanks.

Dennis

g.com...

Old March 21st 10, 08:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty[_3_]

Didn't mean to imply that you overlooked debris in the blades. Just
kinda a general comment. I guess it's not out of the question that the
damn think is just worn out eh?

Old March 21st 10, 09:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

"Question Quigley" > wrote in
:

> Thanks, Nasty.
>
> I pulled the fan and cleaned it out, but I am still getting the noise
> after a few minutes. I also disconnected the resistor which let the
> fan run on high only. It was quiet for a few minutes, but the noise
> came back. The inside of the housing appears clean (no debris) so I'm
> guessing it is the fan motor itself.

If you've addressed interference and debris, the motor bearings are the
next suspect.

Is there ANY play AT ALL in the shaft when you wiggle it? If so, that's the
problem. Also check that the blower fan itself isn't loose on the shaft.

Luckily, blower motors are a dime-a-dozen in the wrecking yard.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old March 22nd 10, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Question Quigley[_3_]

Well, I'd like to get to a junk yard, but there is nothing really near me.
So I ordered a new one for $37 (including shipping) on ebay.

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> "Question Quigley" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Thanks, Nasty.
>>
>> I pulled the fan and cleaned it out, but I am still getting the noise
>> after a few minutes. I also disconnected the resistor which let the
>> fan run on high only. It was quiet for a few minutes, but the noise
>> came back. The inside of the housing appears clean (no debris) so I'm
>> guessing it is the fan motor itself.
>>

> If you've addressed interference and debris, the motor bearings are the
> next suspect.
>
> Is there ANY play AT ALL in the shaft when you wiggle it? If so, that's
> the
> problem. Also check that the blower fan itself isn't loose on the shaft.
>
> Luckily, blower motors are a dime-a-dozen in the wrecking yard.
>

> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

No Air, Just Noise From 1995 Olds Cutlass Heater Blower KC[_2_] Technology 4 August 13th 09 04:40 AM
05 Civic Blower Resistor david Honda 0 June 6th 09 11:18 PM
1998 Voyager Blower noise Shadow[_2_] Chrysler 1 March 5th 08 02:21 AM
Honda Civic Blower [email protected] Honda 2 December 7th 07 02:40 PM
Civic blower question Sean Honda 0 January 12th 05 07:09 PM