adjusting trunk latch and lid

Old July 30th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Default adjusting trunk latch and lid

After our "techs" failed to fix the problem with my trunk lid hitting and
cutting into the upper bumper of my '07 ION, I took matters into my own
hands and tried adjusting the lower trunk latch. It was surprisingly easy,
only 2 bolts and viola! no more trunk smashing into my bumper. I did notice
that the lower hook of the latch also can be used to align the trunk . I
eyeballed it pretty good, but does anyone have any tips to properly
adjusting the trunk lid as straight as possible?

--
marx404

_________________

Old July 30th 08, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Very basic question is what moved? Was the bumper out of alignment and
sitting too high or was the trunk latch too low? Make sure that you still
get a good seal on the trunk gasketing - you do not want exhaust gasses
seeping back into the passenger compartment. (hey, I'd miss you)

Old July 31st 08, 12:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Thanks Oppie, I've inhaled more than my share of exhaust fumes ..

After studying other IONs I noticed that no two trunks are aligned alike.
After a suggestion on SaturnFans that it was the latch, I gave it a try and
found that by adjusting the lower catch up just a 1/16" the trunk still had
no play up or down, ergo the seals must be sealed, right? and the trunk no
longer hit on the top of the bumper.

--
marx404

Old August 3rd 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Follow-up, after two power car washes and severe thunderstorms, she is
air-tight and dry as a bone in the trunk. yay.

--
marx404