CJ-7 80 vs 81

Old February 11th 05, 01:35 PM
JimG

Default CJ-7 80 vs 81

Anyone know the difference between 80 and 81, 258 motor around the intake
manifold / head area? I have seen a few parts like valve covers and
Offenhouser intakes that list 81-86 year models. The 76-80 years must have
a different head?

--
JimG
80' CJ-7 258 CID, HEI

00' TJ Sport 4.0L, 5sp
4.56 Gears, TrueTrac rear
33" BFG AT on 15x8 Eagle Alloys
D35 Rear, D30 Front. 3" Suspension Lift

Old February 11th 05, 04:14 PM
Mike Romain

Somewhere in there they changed the head bolt size and I 'think' the 81
to 86 has the valve cover that bolts down to the head. The older heads
like I in now have no bolt holes for the valve cover, it is only held on
with two center bolts to the rocker bridges. They also went from a 1
bbl carb and intake to a 2 bbl one somewhere right around that time.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 11th 05, 09:43 PM
breyfogle

IIRC, there were quite a few changes between 82 and 83. Two that I
know about are the change to a plastic valve cover and removal of the
belt driven air pump. 83's came with a 2 bbl Carter carb (don't know
about other years).

Old February 11th 05, 11:40 PM
Jeff Strickland

I have an '81. If you want to talk about what you have, I'll either confirm
or deny that mine is the same.

I did have a belt driven smog pump and a 2bbl carburator. (These were
replaced in favor of the Mopar MPFI Kit.) I have a steel valve cover with
screws around the edge to hold it on. The intake manifold had a heater in it
that didn't work. What else?