Mobile 1 Extended Performance

Old February 8th 05, 02:41 AM
Campbell C Freeman

Default Mobile 1 Extended Performance

I have been using Mobile 1 Synthetic Oil for years & was pleased to hear
about the introduction of Mobile 1 Extended Performance Synthetic. What I
found disturbing was that it does not meet API ILSAC GF-4 Certification
while Castrol Syntec does. I believe Mobile 1 SuperSyn does meet these
specs. At any rate can you tell me the reason for this?

I am considering Castrol Syntec a try for my next change which does meet
the GF-4 specs.

Or does it not really make that much difference?

2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4L 6 cyl w/ 23K miles & I have been pleased w/ the
performance of Mobile 1. The manual calls for 10W30 oil.

Thank you,
Campbell C Freeman
Columbia, SC

Old February 9th 05, 02:19 AM
JimG

In the words of Jeff Strickland... "snake oil" & extended performance "snake
oil".

IMO, if you change the oil and filter regularly, the oil you use makes no
difference.

(let the flames begin)

--
JimG
80' CJ-7 258 CID, HEI

00' TJ Sport 4.0L, 5sp
4.56 Gears, TrueTrac rear
33" BFG AT on 15x8 Eagle Alloys
D35 Rear, D30 Front. 3" Suspension Lift

Old February 9th 05, 02:27 AM
JimG

and anyway... what do you mean "I have been pleased with the performance of
Mobile 1"? Do you have the used oil tested after removal? Does it make the
Jeep run better? Or what?

JimG

Old February 9th 05, 03:08 PM
Mike Romain

Please let us know where you live and the color of your Jeep so we know
which one to avoid when it comes up for sale....

Nothing kills an engine faster than someone who thinks their oil is
invincible.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 9th 05, 04:16 PM
Campbell C Freeman

Nice to have such positive comments.

I never said or implied that the oil I was/am using is "invincible." I just
made the comment that I have been pleased with it (Mobile1).

I think I will just take a break from the group. Too much negativity.

Did you even see or read the "disclaimer?" <"Or does it not really make
that much difference?">

You ask a simple question or make a comment and you get blasted. I see it
over and over and over again. I thought the purpose of the newsgroup was to
be helpful, give and offer advice, and ask questions.

Guess I just don't get it.

I regret even having made the original post.

jeeezzzz

C Freeman

Old February 9th 05, 04:34 PM
Mike Romain

Sorry man but the last person I know to make claims about how long
between oil changes 'he' could go ended up with the oil pressure
'mysteriously' pegged out and upon inspection we found 6" of solid black
goo inside his oil pan....

He then promptly sold the truck to some unsuspecting fool while still
making 'great' oil comments....

Oh, I think if you look, the castrol is 'fake' synthetic, (could be
wrong there) with a high price because of the name not the original
synthetic like Mobile uses in 'some' of it's oils.

The oil companies made the word 'synthetic' a buzz word that actually
only means it costs more, nothing else. They took the 'real'
'synthetic' oil makers to court over the definition and won.

Mike

Old February 9th 05, 06:29 PM
Campbell C Freeman

Well...again I ask "...did you even read my original post...?" I never said
anything about "...how long (I) could go between oil changes..." OR about
the so-called "invincibility" to which you refer, but I have already
commented about that.

BTW...both Castrol Syntec & Mobile1 are fully synthetic oils, as are Red
Line and Amsoil.

I do use synthetic and I am not ashamed to do so. My Jeep Wrangler Sport is
a 2001 (bought new in May 2001), and only has 23,000 miles. I never go past
3 - 3.5 K on the "oil." This averages to under 20 miles a day
(roughly)...98% city driving...which means I can go up to 6 months between
oil changes. That is one of the reasons why I use synthetic oil. It is
also my choice to do so...like it or not...agree with it or not.

I give up. Please disregard my original post entirely.

Campbell Freeman

And thanks Jerry Bransford. I always appreciate your posts, knowledge,
measured approach, and advice.

Old February 9th 05, 06:42 PM
Mike Romain

Campbell C Freeman wrote:

> Well...again I ask "...did you even read my original post...?"

Not well enough I guess, sorry...

Mike
Old February 9th 05, 10:04 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Campbell,
You use the word "synthetic" as if it's not a petroleum product.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 12th 05, 12:01 AM
Tom T

Campbell, don't regret your post. This has stirred up opinions that
are great
to review and sometimes practical. Everyone has their reason(s) for
using a
motor oil of their choice, whither it be passed from father to son,
advertisements,
or just a personal study with recommendations from mechanics. I went
with
a self imposed study of motor oils and ended up using Valvoline Dura
Blend
(synthetic blend) 5w 30. Like you, I like the performance of my oil of
choice !
But, I do think the hard study goes to the oil filter. I've used
CarQuest (Wix)
filters and found they are very acceptable in an independent research
of oil filters.
O' yes, my oil and filter are changed every 3k miles. My TJ 4 banger
just might
run for ever, well until the Gladiatior hits the dealer's lot.
Tom T