Do A1 distributors interchange JH engine

Old July 5th 06, 06:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
A1conv

Default Do A1 distributors interchange JH engine

Hi,

I'm driving a A1 convertible with JH engine. It seems I've problems
with the current Marelli distributor. I have a Bosch distributor of
another JH engine. Can I interchange them without problems or do I need
to interchange the ECU or something else.

Thanks, Willem

Old July 9th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Kevin Rhodes[_1_]

Default A2 tranny replacement question

I'm helping a friend do a tranny swap in a 92 GTI. We got the transmission out
today with much swearing and heaving - there is not a lot of space to maneuver
in an A2! I have previously done A1 cars, seemed harder in the A2. My question
is - what is the best approach for getting the new tranny back in? Based on
getting the old one out, it seems like you need to lift it up rotated towards
the front of the car (almost clutch lever pointed down) so that the CV flanges
and diff housing clear obstructions, slide the mainshaft in then rotate it
into the correct position. I am very wary of damaging the clutch disk by
hanging too much wieght on it while doing this.

Any BTDT appreciated!

Kevin Rhodes
Westbrook, Maine
No Vdub of my own at the moment, but plenty past.

Old July 11th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_1_]

fun isn't it? ;-)

Engine needs to be at a good height and then you will need to rotate the
trans to the front bringing the flanges up some and then you can get it away
from the engine, over the flywheel and out of the vehicle..
Try it with a 2001 GTI with the VR6 engine. ONE HEAVY TRANS!!!
The flanges on that '92 are bigger than most A1s, but I am not sure about
those A1 GTIs

AFAIK......One other option is to remove the RS flange, since that seems to
be the hold-up when it hits the trans.
BUT then you have to reinstall the flange after the trans is back in! 8^o

JMHO
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)