Proof Positive You're Being MFFY'd With

Old February 28th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Proof Positive You're Being MFFY'd With

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> Ever wonder whether that other driver that's doing something asinine
> is a genuine MFFY or just an oblivious ****? Sometimes they make it
> obvious. Like the black BMW this morning that was content to drive at
> 50 MPH in a 55 MPH zone in the right lane, pacing a LLB in the left
> lane also doing 50 in a 55 zone. Mr. BMW had been slothing along for
> at least a mile, but no sooner did I change into the left lane and
> pull up close enough to the LLB sloth to prevent Mr. BMW from merging
> in front of me, suddenly he discovers his gas pedal and races ahead to
> merge into the left lane in time to make it into an upcoming left turn
> pocket. An oblivious **** would have simply slowed down even more and
> merged in behind me; only a MFFY would angrily speed up and cut in in
> front of someone else.

Your analysis/interpretation baffles. Why is the guy in the R lane
"pacing" the guy in the L lane (at 50 in a 55)?

Your solution of slowing and merging behind -sounds-reasonable at first
glance but neglects inclusion of the CA driver's credo: Never leave
more space to your front than 1 car length, ever.

If there -were- space behind your little assemblage for merging it was
likely closing at the most rapid rate those behind you could manage
while keeping one eye out for LE. Not to mention any traffic behind
the R lane sloth, they sure ain't gonna tolerate any further slowing
and will whip around and block any attempt to merge to the rear.

Are you daft, man? Your suggested manuever would be impossible on just
about any CA road at any time of day!

> Note that Mr. BMW had no turn signal on; I merely took a clue from his
> car's "body language" and (correctly) guessed that he was planning to
> block the road as long as he could and then merge in at the last
> moment. I took great pleasure in foiling his little scheme.

"Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by
stupidity."
-----

- gpsman