Michelin HydroEdge on 99 Cirrus LXi - Good Idea?

Old October 8th 04, 02:29 AM
Art

Default Michelin HydroEdge on 99 Cirrus LXi - Good Idea?

"Steve Driska" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Gregory N. Latiak"
> > wrote:
>
> > Anyone have experience with Michelin HydroEdge tires on a Cirrus or

Stratus?
> > Am contemplating these to replace the factory MX4s that are getting

close to
> > the end. Interested in snow, rain and road/tire noise issues in

particular
> > as I live/work in southern ontario, canada.
> >
> > thanks,

> No experience with that tire. I asked the tire guy I trust for a
> recommendation to replace the MX4's on my stratus. He said the MX4 has a
> reputation for losing it's wet traction in the last half of the tire
> life. I think I see what he means.
> He was recommending a Bridgestone but I forgot the model.
>
> --

Most tires do according to Consumer Reports. Tires should be dumped much
earlier than is legally required.

Old October 8th 04, 04:14 AM
Arthur Alspector

I have a set of Hydroedge tires on my 99 Intrepid, and although I find they
give me a very secure ride, I think they have an issue with going out of
balance frequently. I was told by a tire dealer (although Michelin thinks
he's nuts), that the tires should be re-balanced every other rotation or
20,000 km. Well, Michelin thinks it's nuts, but I had to have the front two
re-balanced after the last rotation with less than 8,000 km on them. I'm
not sure how good they are in snow because I bought them last spring in dry
weather, but I do know they are very good on wet pavement. I live in
southern Ontario and I feel that these tires will do very well in city
conditions, but would be inadequate anywhere north of Toronto after a snow.
They are definitely not snow tires.

link.net...

Old October 8th 04, 04:14 AM
Arthur Alspector

I have a set of Hydroedge tires on my 99 Intrepid, and although I find they
give me a very secure ride, I think they have an issue with going out of
balance frequently. I was told by a tire dealer (although Michelin thinks
he's nuts), that the tires should be re-balanced every other rotation or
20,000 km. Well, Michelin thinks it's nuts, but I had to have the front two
re-balanced after the last rotation with less than 8,000 km on them. I'm
not sure how good they are in snow because I bought them last spring in dry
weather, but I do know they are very good on wet pavement. I live in
southern Ontario and I feel that these tires will do very well in city
conditions, but would be inadequate anywhere north of Toronto after a snow.
They are definitely not snow tires.

link.net...

Old October 8th 04, 11:46 AM
Matt Whiting

Art wrote:
> "Steve Driska" > wrote in message
>
>>In article >, "Gregory N. Latiak"
> wrote:
>>

>>>Anyone have experience with Michelin HydroEdge tires on a Cirrus or

> Stratus?
>
>>>Am contemplating these to replace the factory MX4s that are getting

> close to
>
>>>the end. Interested in snow, rain and road/tire noise issues in

> particular
>
>>>as I live/work in southern ontario, canada.
>>>
>>>thanks,

>>No experience with that tire. I asked the tire guy I trust for a
>>recommendation to replace the MX4's on my stratus. He said the MX4 has a
>>reputation for losing it's wet traction in the last half of the tire
>>life. I think I see what he means.
>>He was recommending a Bridgestone but I forgot the model.
>>
>>--

> Most tires do according to Consumer Reports. Tires should be dumped much
> earlier than is legally required.

I disagree. The performance of a tire changes through-out its life and
you simply need to be aware of that and accomdate it. Dry, hard surface
traction is typically better after at least half of the tread is gone
whereas wet weather traction gets worse with wear typically. If you
want optimum performance, you will have 50% of the tread shaved off your
new tires, drive them 5,000 miles and then get a new set. Most of us
can't afford that, so we simply adjust our driving style as the tires
wear and don't try to drive 90 MPH in standing water with 3/32" of tread
left. I routinely run my tires to the wear bars with no problems.

Matt

Old October 8th 04, 11:46 AM
Matt Whiting

Old October 8th 04, 08:39 PM
Richard

I have a set on my 04 Limited Town & Country and recommend them highly. No
balance issue at all. Far superior to the junk Bridgestone's Chrysler now
fits to those vehicles. Also look at the Goodyear Triple Tread; new on the
market this year.

Richard.

Old October 23rd 04, 09:59 PM
Dan

Also look at the Goodyear Triple Tread; new on the
> market this year.
>
> Richard.

Another great 3 in 1 product that can't do any of the 3. Winter tires
are winter tires, and summer tires are summer tires.
Old October 23rd 04, 09:59 PM
Dan

Old October 23rd 04, 10:20 PM
Richard

"Dan" > wrote in message
om...
> Also look at the Goodyear Triple Tread; new on the
>> market this year.
>>
>> Richard.

> Another great 3 in 1 product that can't do any of the 3. Winter tires
> are winter tires, and summer tires are summer tires.

And the basis for your statement (on products you have not used) is what?

Richard.