Gravel vs. Paved

Old December 14th 04, 08:33 AM
Bob Lutz

Default Gravel vs. Paved

I have roughly a 20 mile commute to work. I can take mostly paved roads
and highways, or I can take a set of well-maintained gravel roads. Is one
way better or easier on the car than the other? The gravel roads are not
much bumpier than the highways.
Old December 14th 04, 09:22 AM
Arif Khokar

Bob Lutz wrote:

> I have roughly a 20 mile commute to work. I can take mostly paved roads
> and highways, or I can take a set of well-maintained gravel roads. Is one
> way better or easier on the car than the other? The gravel roads are not
> much bumpier than the highways.

On gravel roads, I would be worried about the damage that the rocks may
do to the windshield, panels, or headlamps if they're thrown up by
another vehicle.
Old December 14th 04, 09:22 AM
Arif Khokar

Old December 14th 04, 11:20 AM
Dave Head

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:22:57 GMT, Arif Khokar > wrote:

>Bob Lutz wrote:
>
>> I have roughly a 20 mile commute to work. I can take mostly paved roads
>> and highways, or I can take a set of well-maintained gravel roads. Is one
>> way better or easier on the car than the other? The gravel roads are not
>> much bumpier than the highways.

>On gravel roads, I would be worried about the damage that the rocks may
>do to the windshield, panels, or headlamps if they're thrown up by
>another vehicle.

You have that problem, plus the car is going to be a real mess. The dust will
be everywhere - clean out under the hood with the wand wash often.

Also, if you have antilock brakes, you practically don't have any brakes on
gravel. Stopping distances can double. These things don't work for squat on
gravel.

Dave Head
Old December 14th 04, 11:20 AM
Dave Head

Old December 14th 04, 02:38 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Bob Lutz" > wrote
>I have roughly a 20 mile commute to work. I can take mostly paved roads
> and highways, or I can take a set of well-maintained gravel roads. Is one
> way better or easier on the car than the other? The gravel roads are not
> much bumpier than the highways.

There will be more wear on suspension units (shocks, bushings, etc.)
and tires. If you drive on gravel a lot, you should get tires designed
to not pick up rocks that work into the tread and possibly puncture it.
Also, the rolling resistance is higher, hence your mileage will be lower
by a small amount. You should certainly follow the "heavy duty"
maintenance cycle that calls for more frequent oil, oil and air filter
changes.

Gravel roads may be less stressful due to lower traffic; a good thing, IMHO.

Floyd

Old December 14th 04, 02:38 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Bob Lutz" > wrote

Old December 14th 04, 05:18 PM
Bob Lutz

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 06:38:40 -0800, fbloogyudsr wrote:

> Gravel roads may be less stressful due to lower traffic; a good thing,
> IMHO.

Exactly why I'm asking this. The 'highway' option means about 20 miles of
2-lane US and state highway, with an at-grade intersection every mile or
so. They are also heavily used by farm and slow vehicles, so its hard to
get anywhere near the 65mph posted limit at times, and passing opportunity
is rare [at least for an underpowered toyota van].

The back roads, OTOH, rarely have traffic at all, especially during the
commute home at 1am.

Old December 14th 04, 05:18 PM
Bob Lutz

Old December 14th 04, 05:18 PM
Bob Lutz

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:22:57 +0000, Arif Khokar wrote:

> On gravel roads, I would be worried about the damage that the rocks may do
> to the windshield, panels, or headlamps if they're thrown up by another
> vehicle.

Other vehicles are rare. This is a VERY rural area.