brake lites work ,sorta

Old October 19th 04, 11:15 PM
veteran

Default brake lites work ,sorta

It takes more pressure to get the lights on. I have replaced the
switches. two.1969 Karmann Ghia. what else could be the problem?
"Some say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." John
Old October 19th 04, 11:35 PM
Speedy Jim

veteran wrote:

> It takes more pressure to get the lights on. I have replaced the
> switches. two.1969 Karmann Ghia. what else could be the problem?
> "Some say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." John

Change 'em again. The quality of replacement switches is poor.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old October 20th 04, 06:56 AM
Bob Hoover

veteran > wrote in message >...
> It takes more pressure to get the lights on. I have replaced the
> switches. two.1969 Karmann Ghia.

Your brakes could need additional bleeding.

But as a point of interest, after two brake light switch failures in
two years I installed a mechanically-actuated switch (in 1997).
Brakes are something I don't think you can afford to fool around with
and the quality of the Brazilian hydraulically-actuated switches told
me it would be unwise to risk my life on them.

I used a new-surplus mechical brake switch made for a Dodge pick-up,
adding a plug-mounted relay to handle the real switching chores. The
mechical switch needs to carry only enough current to pick the relay,
which is rated at 30 amps. The whole affair cost less than one brake
failure :-)

I drive a '65 bus; the installation of the mechanical switch was
pretty easy. Doing it to a Ghia would be a bit more complex,
requiring actuation by the master cylinder push-rod.

-Bob Hoover
Old October 20th 04, 04:11 PM
veteran

In article >, Speedy Jim > wrote:

> Change 'em again. The quality of replacement switches is poor.

Krager screwed me out of $11 for the last one, said made in usa.
"Some say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." John
Old October 20th 04, 04:41 PM
Speedy Jim

veteran wrote:

> In article >, Speedy Jim > wrote:
>
> > Change 'em again. The quality of replacement switches is poor.

> Krager screwed me out of $11 for the last one, said made in usa.

Yes, I believe that. To get the really good quality ones you'd
have to find someone who carries German OEM switches.

Re-inforcing what Veeduber said, the Brazillian switches are
notoriously poor; some have even reported that the seals blow
out under pressu-(

Don't have a good answer for you, but maybe the mechanical switch
mod isn't such a bad idea.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old October 20th 04, 07:30 PM
Mark

watsons street works has mechanical switches (I haven't put mine on yet)
Mark

Old October 20th 04, 11:35 PM
Nate Nagel

Speedy Jim wrote:

> veteran wrote:
>
>>In article >, Speedy Jim > wrote:
>>

>>> Change 'em again. The quality of replacement switches is poor.

>>Krager screwed me out of $11 for the last one, said made in usa.

> Yes, I believe that. To get the really good quality ones you'd
> have to find someone who carries German OEM switches.
>
> Re-inforcing what Veeduber said, the Brazillian switches are
> notoriously poor; some have even reported that the seals blow
> out under pressu-(
>
> Don't have a good answer for you, but maybe the mechanical switch
> mod isn't such a bad idea.
>
> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

What is the thread on the VW switches? My old Studes use pressure
switches as well, and I've never had to replace one more than once. I
believe the same exact switch is a current Harley-Davidson part as well.
It's a small pipe thread on the one I'm thinking of.

I never had to replace a switch on any of my VWs so I honestly don't know.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old October 21st 04, 01:02 AM
Bob Hoover

Speedy Jim > wrote in message >...

> Re-inforcing what Veeduber said, the Brazillian switches are
> notoriously poor; some have even reported that the seals blow
> out under pressu-(

That was the case with the second failure. Not a total blow-out but
it was dripping fluid. Typical hydraulically actuated switch is
supposed to fail 'safe' in that the plunger that actuates the switch
is supposed to seal the bore and prevent any loss of fluid. (Usual
failure mode with the original Ford switch was for the plunger to
stick, leaving the brake lights on.)

To see that sucker oozing fluid was pretty scary. Replaced it with a
plug. The mechanically switched system has given no problems.

Spec'ing a German switch is fine but if you do any amount of travel
you either carry a spare, use what's available or do without. The
first failure was the original German switch, the second, the one that
leaked, was the Brazilian replacement, obtained from a VW shop in La
Paz because the local VW dealer didn't carry them (!) (Early style
used 1/8-NPT, later style is threaded M8.)

In use, the mechanical switch has several advantages, the biggest
being the ability to replace it without having to bleed the system.
But you can also adjust the turn-on point. I've got mine set so the
brake lights come on as soon as I put my foot on the pedal. Handy,
when you're coming down a grade and all you can see in the rear-view
is Three Gold Stars :-)

-Bob Hoover
Old October 21st 04, 02:13 AM
Max Welton

On 19 Oct 2004 22:56:43 -0700, Bob Hoover > wrote:

> veteran > wrote in message
>> It takes more pressure to get the lights on. I have replaced the
>> switches. two.1969 Karmann Ghia.

> Your brakes could need additional bleeding.
>
> But as a point of interest, after two brake light switch failures in
> two years I installed a mechanically-actuated switch (in 1997).
> Brakes are something I don't think you can afford to fool around with
> and the quality of the Brazilian hydraulically-actuated switches told
> me it would be unwise to risk my life on them.
>
> I used a new-surplus mechical brake switch made for a Dodge pick-up,
> adding a plug-mounted relay to handle the real switching chores. The
> mechical switch needs to carry only enough current to pick the relay,
> which is rated at 30 amps. The whole affair cost less than one brake
> failure :-)
>
> I drive a '65 bus; the installation of the mechanical switch was
> pretty easy. Doing it to a Ghia would be a bit more complex,
> requiring actuation by the master cylinder push-rod.
>
> -Bob Hoover

How about using a mercury switch as a poor-mans accelerometer? This would
be completely separate from the braking system and work even when the
deceleration was due to downshifting. All you'd need would be a way to
introduce enough hysteresis to keep it from blinking the brake lights on a
jiggly road.

Max
--
http:/www.MaxWelton.net/