Winter driving tips

Old January 13th 05, 02:13 AM
Nate Nagel

Harry K wrote:
> Even the good drivers never slow down enough and for sure don't
> increase their following distance.
>
> Harry K

Either they do slow down "enough" and leave "adequate" following
distance, or they're not good drivers.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 13th 05, 04:26 PM
Harry K

True to an extent. Observing the traffic on my local highway then
would say that 99% of the drivers in bad weather are -not- good
drivers. Hardly anyone lengthens their following distance and -none-
slow down enough.

Harry K

Old January 13th 05, 04:41 PM
N8N

Harry K wrote:
> True to an extent. Observing the traffic on my local highway then
> would say that 99% of the drivers in bad weather are -not- good
> drivers. Hardly anyone lengthens their following distance and -none-
> slow down enough.
>
> Harry K

eh, may or may not be true. I've driven some vehicles that have
astonishing capabilities in bad weather. In the rain, even the
Fabulous BeaterPorsche(tm) is very competent, probably more so than the
average car on the road (I attribute this to almost-new tires, and to a
lesser extent excellent balance.) I feel that I *can* drive it
somewhat faster than the "average" vehicle and still do so safely.
However, while your 99% of drivers comment may not be completely
accurate, I'd agree that it is significant - maybe even a majority.
Certainly I was just complaining about the same effect in fog the other
day; I was being "pushed" by several drivers in succession while at the
same time feeling that my speed was such that I was at the absolute
safe limit of my visibility.

nate

Old January 13th 05, 04:41 PM
N8N

Old January 13th 05, 08:45 PM
Curtis CCR

To wit, my drive to work this morning in heavy fog. Visibility was
less than 200 feet and I was being passed by people going 60 mph or
faster. These people need nearly the length of a football field to
stop, yet they continue along in visibility almost half that.

Everyone of these knuckleheads probably thinks he a good driver.

And it doesnt matter if they are in an Excursion or an Prius. Driving
ignorance does not come with any particular model of car - it's an
owner installed accessory.