Beaver pond/water garden

Old March 16th 05, 08:08 PM
rockinghfarm rockinghfarm is offline
Junior Member

Location: Keweenaw Peninsula, Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Default Beaver pond/water garden

Hello,
I am new to this list and hope I am in the right place.

We have a 40 acre horse farm which has a beaver pond (for about the last 14 years). The pond has grown over time to be about 5 acres with the dam filling a gully past our backyard. It contains various wild fish, frogs, turtles and brings in deer and wolf and many varieties of birds. This is all very lovely but I would like to have water plants in the beaver pond. This has proved to be frustrated by the beaver family who find the pots and deposit them on the dam (even when pots are anchored.

I have been trying different ways of keeping water plants in the pond for two years (below the pond the overflow is a swampy creek so won't work for waterlillies - too shallow). Last year I tried tying the pots to long pieces of twine, tossing them into the pond and using the twine to pull them back off the dam in the morning after the beavers were busy moving them. Well, this sort of worked but not good enough to get any blooms from the poor waterlilies.

Spring is slowing approaching the Keweenaw (still iced over on the pond) and I am trying to think of another way to enjoy water plants with this pond - without harming the beavers who are a delight to watch other than this waterlily thing. I am wondering if I pipe water through the dam (with a filter on it to keep out muck I think) to a series of barrels below the dam - could that work for water lilies and such? There would necessarily be an overflow from the barrels which I think I could regulate by the pipe height in the dammed up water and the barrel height below. I am wondering if water movement through the barrels would cause a problem for the plants...? Thank you for any ideas on this!

Best websites to help plan a water garden? [email protected] General 39 May 13th 04 01:39 PM
Bog garden Richard Holub General 14 March 6th 04 02:17 AM
Bog Garden: Episode II BenignVanilla General 15 March 2nd 04 03:31 PM
Garden Photography Nandakumar Sankaran Plants 0 September 16th 03 12:45 AM
bogg garden for garden pond David Porter General (alternative) 0 August 3rd 03 03:54 PM