Outdoor fish pond heater

Old January 31st 05, 04:00 PM

Default Outdoor fish pond heater

I just bought a house with an outdoor goldfish/koi pond in September.
The owners left me a low-watt dome-shaped heater but it is completely
frozen in the ice. It has power but should I assume that it is broken
and buy a new one or are there limits to the kind of temperatures and
ice thickness they can withstand (I live in Chicago)? I don't want to
spend $60 on a new heater only to have the same problem. Does anyone
have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

--
Dave Smith
Dave Smith's Profile: http://www.gardenerforums.com/member.php?userid=2

Old February 12th 05, 01:29 PM
bseddon

1. If the pond stays frozen too long, all the fish will die so getting
a hole in the ice is imperative! A pot of boiling water set on top of
the ice should thaw a hole if you haven't waited to long. Remember it's
the gases held under the ice that kill the fish, not the cold.
2. I use a livestock heater designed to keep water troughs from
freezing. Works beautifully. It's awesome to go out in the middle of
the winter and see the fish swimming about....especially when the snow
is piled high around the pond...

Old February 28th 05, 07:40 PM
me

Just be careful of the wattage on those things, your hydro will go throught
the roof. Build a greenhouse to go over it, it is cheaper.
"bseddon" wrote in message
oups.com...
1. If the pond stays frozen too long, all the fish will die so getting
a hole in the ice is imperative! A pot of boiling water set on top of
the ice should thaw a hole if you haven't waited to long. Remember it's
the gases held under the ice that kill the fish, not the cold.
2. I use a livestock heater designed to keep water troughs from
freezing. Works beautifully. It's awesome to go out in the middle of
the winter and see the fish swimming about....especially when the snow
is piled high around the pond...

New Small Pond.......Need Info Please M.R. Wholesale Goods General 1 July 14th 04 02:22 PM
new pond Anonymous General 8 September 9th 03 04:41 PM
WHAT... My pond a sandpit Mistatee General 15 August 28th 03 08:47 PM
Problems with my pond? Thenewguy General 12 August 25th 03 09:42 PM
Does size matter...when stocking Koi in your pond... :) Chad General 54 August 3rd 03 04:43 PM