Heater core link

Old October 23rd 04, 07:55 AM
KWS

Default Heater core link

The '90 blew out it's heater core today. Someone posted an article showing
how to remove and replace the core without pulling the entire dash. I sure
would appreciate someone re-posting that link.

Thanks,

Ken

Old October 23rd 04, 12:56 PM
Roald Oines

KWS > typed:
: The '90 blew out it's heater core today. Someone posted an article
: showing how to remove and replace the core without pulling the entire
: dash. I sure would appreciate someone re-posting that link.
:
: Thanks,
:
: Ken

It was on the Miata mailing list. I don't have the link, but I did save
the article. Here's the text:

From: (Brian K. Dore')
Subject: Miata heater core change
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 1994 10:36:40 -0500

A couple of months ago, shortly after changing my timing belt, the
heater
core in my white '90 A (with A/C) started to leak. We probably bumped
the
inlet hose when working under the hood. Both the factory manual and the
Miata Enthusiasts manual detail the removal of the dashboard. I found a
better way. On the drivers side, there is a white plastic cover that is
held on by a couple of phillips screws. Removing it exposes the core.
One
of the lines that extends from the core through the firewall is solid,
the
other is in two pieces with a heater hose and clamp holding them
together.
The piece with the heater hose is easy to remove, the solid side can't
come
out. So I cut it. About 4" from the core I cut through the line and
slid
the core out. It just barely cleared the steering column, and the main
wiring harness had a bad habbit of getting in the way too. In my case,
the
core could be fixed, and I slid it back in, added a couple of inches of
heater hose and another clamp, and I have heat again for those cool
nights
we have been having in the lower 50's.

By some strange coincidence, my radiator started to leak the day before
planned to bring it in to work on the heater. Turns out the rubber
gasket
between the radiator proper and the plastic top tank began to
deteriorate.
I had the gasket replaced and the radiator pressure tested at a local
shop.

Next is a do-it-yourself top replacement.

Brian (with the Miata that thinks it's a Brittish car)
Brian K. Dore'
Systems Analyst
University of Southwestern Louisiana Computing Center

--
Please remove the under_scores if replying by mail.

Old October 23rd 04, 07:06 PM
KWS

Thanks, Roald.

One of my daughters was driving the Miata yesterday when the core gave out.
She called and said the floor was full of "green stuff". Since this happened
only a couple of miles from home, I decided to refill the radiator and drive
until it got hot. Two refills later, I was home.

Today I need to pull the seats and carpeting out and (of course) the heater
core.

For anyone who finds themselves in the situation of doing this, be careful
of the hot water that leaks on your foot.

I realize that I could have bypassed the heater core in the engine
compartment, but I was sort of time pressured and just needed to get it
done.

Ken

------

Old December 9th 04, 08:55 PM
VAdude

I have a 97M that is vaporizing antifreeze through the vents. I had it
checked and its the core. I bought a used one and had it tested and will
have it replaced soon.

My question is should I have my timing belt done at the same time? I did
not think so, but I am not that familiar with the repairs for either. I
have all the parts for the belt and wanted to get it done soon.

Thanks,

Lorne

Old December 10th 04, 04:03 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article
outautos.com>,
"VAdude" > wrote:

> My question is should I have my timing belt done at the same time?

They have nothing to do with each other. OTOH, it would save you an
extra trip to the shop.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old December 11th 04, 08:39 PM
KWS

One thing at a time:

1. Leaking heater core - needs to be done now. Trust me, you don't want it
to get worse.

2. Timing belt - How many miles? If it's 60K+, then it's not a bad idea to
do it. Suggest you provide a water pump at the same time.

The car will be out of service for a little while. Since you are depending
on someone else to do it, probably best to get it all over in one shot.
There is no relationship to these two jobs other than draining the
antifreeze.

Ken

lkaboutautos.com...