Does an off road h-pipe increase horsepower

Old November 28th 04, 01:06 AM
JS

Get the 2-cat H-pipe. You'll pass the PA smog test much better too. I
believe they can also fail your state inspection for not having cats even if
you're not in an emissions county.

The 2-cat will give you power over the stocker, keep you legal, and keep the
tone down some. I must admit, I threw a non-cat H-pipe on an e-legal cammed
(not E303) '88 5.0 with 2-chamber flowmasters and it sounded great. Not my
car, not my emissions or inspection hassles either.

The headers will help a bit more I think. But, with no other engine mods,
the exhaust upgrade won't be that noticable.

JS

Old November 28th 04, 01:41 AM
Deputy Dog

"JS" > wrote in message news:kw9qd.529$UU1.54@trndny04...
> believe they can also fail your state inspection for not having cats even
> if you're not in an emissions county.

You are right, the visual inspection of the cats is now part of the safety
inspection. They no longer fall under emissions in Pa.

Dave

Old November 28th 04, 08:40 AM
Jim Warman

Depends on how they're used.... I have no problem with the collector/resto
ideology. These things are a part of our history. For our daily drivers, I
believe we should be a little more ecologically responsible.

History shows that the human race can find quick ways to screw stuff up...
now we have the technology to minimize our damage (notice I didn't say
eliminate). All I've ever thought is that a vehicle should meet the emission
requirements for the year it was manufactured.

As a side note..... *most* of the people driving around in old iron have
*usually* spent every available penny on purchasing that old iron and can
ill afford to keep it in top notch condition.... and there goes yet another
piece of history.

I'm not a tree hugger..... but I'm not far away from the day I welcome
grandchildren into this world...... it'd be nice if they could still go
outdoors.

Old November 28th 04, 09:54 AM

I agree whole-heartedly about meeting emissions requirements.. reminded
several times earlier tonight how nasty the smell and TASTE of exhaust is. I
hate it when a biggo cloud of smoke just pours of of someone's exhaust & I
happen to be right behind 'em. That stuff ticks me off.

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

newsagqd.14663$VL6.5837@clgrps13...

Old November 28th 04, 05:02 PM
BeverlyOmasta

>You are right, the visual inspection of the cats is now part of the safety
>inspection. They no longer fall under emissions in Pa.

I didnt know they had a visual now...IMm sending the H-pipe back and getting
the catted h-pipe
Old November 28th 04, 05:09 PM
Wound Up

I drive my 67 without a single solitary emissions control on it about
75% of the time from Mar - Nov. The state doesn't emissions tests for
vehicles past 30 years old. When I used to have to take it in, it was
within given limits.

The manufacture of one new vehicle creates more environmental pollution
than my 67 would in 100,000 miles. Let's not forget all the new OEM
parts that have to be manufactured, the vastly increased complexity and
therefore increased number of (new) parts required for an average
repair, and the fact the vehicle's average lifespan is most likely less
than the lifespan of mine in terms of miles to begin with.

A gas-electric or diesel-electric hybrid is a freaking environmental
disaster, ironically enough. Think of all that newly developed
expensive hardware, requiring new factory tooling, millions of hours of
training, new tools, new everything, and it's sold under the guise of
"environmentally responsible automobile". It's not just the air that's
befouled by all of this.

Sure, there is a big curve of all of that at first, that -will- level
off in time. But the world's automakers keep the innovations (a.k.a.
marketing ploys) coming, ensuring that one big curve just follows the next.

So what's the problem? Like most, I think you're just failing to see
the big picture.

For the record, I'm not siding with "Beverly", either.

--
Wound Up J

1967 Mustang coupe, restored & modified

Remove "put her" to reply in that bucket

Old November 29th 04, 02:10 AM
Brad and Mia

Are you kidding us?

For the record, my Fox has no cats. Why? It's a summer weekend car and there
are no requirements for them where I live. and I don't have the money to buy
these great exhaust systems. Everything back from the exhaust manifold on my
car is used.

My daily driver is a 1980 Bronco and it is LOADED with emissions crap. A
351M churns out a whopping 136 horse. NO ****. So be it.

Brad

Old November 30th 04, 12:35 AM
CigManXFls

cats suck
Old November 30th 04, 02:21 AM
WindsorFox[SS]

CigManXFls wrote:

> cats suck

Dogs bite.

--
YOU are the real piece of work in this post. I think you are
a couple of drumsticks short of a picnic there bud. - SVTKate
Old December 3rd 04, 06:15 AM
Nocares

My 87 Saleen has been stripped of the cats in favor of a 2.5" & true
headers. Though it is a summer driver it has finally hit the 11k miles mark
and I still pass the emissions with no problem. A car properly tuned and
maintained will create less 'smog' than most lawnmowers. Oh, and as far as
evil bad air-poluters how about a cudos to Mt St helens which in this past
week has speewed out more carbon dioxide than all of WA industries have the
entire year (or liekly more). And how about that blow in 1980... The amount
of CO into the air on that big blow in one day was greater than all the
factories in the US producing at maximum capacity did throughout the
1970s..yes, the entire decade. Amazing or not, the world has managed to
survive and clean itself. End note: Greenhouse gases are overrated, ozone
is overrated and unsubstantiated, and frankly the world could use a few
extra degrees to increase the growing season to help feed all the 'extra'
people. What would a good evil regime dictator do without the mases to
enslave and decapitate or starve.

Oh, as far as the cats, not sure what part of the power band is affected but
I am certain that the better breathing can only be better for power and
efficiency. I have plenty of power but now I just need to replace my clutch
that finally burned off.

Oil Pipe [email protected] BMW 3 January 18th 05 10:18 PM
pipe to pipe temp muffler fix (91 integra gs) o. phooey Honda 3 January 5th 05 02:13 PM
pipe to pipe temp muffler fix (91 integra gs) o. phooey Honda 0 January 3rd 05 10:49 PM
Stainless b pipe? Patrick Moss Honda 0 December 8th 04 02:18 AM
Audi All Road reliability LIW Audi 2 November 3rd 04 08:39 PM