Any Tricks For Wintering Water Hyacinths and Water Lettuce Inside?

Old December 11th 05, 05:45 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Any Tricks For Wintering Water Hyacinths and Water Lettuce Inside?

I am trying to save a few of my water hyacinths and water lettuce inside my
house in buckets of water. I am changing the water out each week, pinching
off any dead leaves/pieces and they're staying alive so far although not
seeming to grow any. Do they need anything special to winter over
inside...thanks!

I live in Zone 7A, North Carolina.

Old December 11th 05, 06:17 PM posted to rec.ponds

Mud wrote:
I am trying to save a few of my water hyacinths and water lettuce inside my
house in buckets of water. I am changing the water out each week, pinching
off any dead leaves/pieces and they're staying alive so far although not
seeming to grow any. Do they need anything special to winter over
inside...thanks!

I live in Zone 7A, North Carolina.

If you put a fluorescent light over them with some tinfoil on the sides
they will grow very well. I did that last summer and I had to throw a
lot of them away.
Old December 11th 05, 06:41 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Michael Shaffer" wrote in message
news[email protected]
Mud wrote:
I am trying to save a few of my water hyacinths and water lettuce inside
my house in buckets of water. I am changing the water out each week,
pinching off any dead leaves/pieces and they're staying alive so far
although not seeming to grow any. Do they need anything special to
winter over inside...thanks!

I live in Zone 7A, North Carolina.

If you put a fluorescent light over them with some tinfoil on the sides
they will grow very well. I did that last summer and I had to throw a lot
of them away.

Thanks for the tip... I don't have a fluorescent lamp handy but I do have a
"grow lamp"... do you think that would work about as good?

Old December 11th 05, 08:00 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Mud" wrote in message
m...
I am trying to save a few of my water hyacinths and water lettuce inside my
house in buckets of water. I am changing the water out each week, pinching
off any dead leaves/pieces and they're staying alive so far although not
seeming to grow any. Do they need anything special to winter over
inside...thanks!

I live in Zone 7A, North Carolina.

==============================
I'm in zone 6 TN and keep water lettuce over easily. I keep them in pans of
water or an old fishtank by south facing windows (or in a fishtank with my
goldfish). They must be FERTILIZED every few weeks or they'll die out (or
they do for me). Water hyacinths are a bit harder to keep alive. Make sure
they don't have "mites or aphids" before you bring them in. They also need
a sunny window, fertilizer regularly and do better with moving water. You
can achieve that with a cheap airpump and airstone.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:

Old December 11th 05, 09:14 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Mud" wrote in message
m...
I am trying to save a few of my water hyacinths and water lettuce inside my
house in buckets of water. I am changing the water out each week, pinching
off any dead leaves/pieces and they're staying alive so far although not
seeming to grow any. Do they need anything special to winter over
inside...thanks!

I live in Zone 7A, North Carolina.

Sunlight is the best thing for them, rather than your growlight. Add some
Miracle Grow (or other plant fertilizer) to the bucket.

Old December 11th 05, 10:22 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Koi-lo" wrote in message

"Mud" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Thanks, I've got them next to an afternoon sunny window but the windows are
energy efficient, heat mirror windows, so I don't know how much good that's
doing them. I am adding a small amount of Schultz liquid plant fertilizer,
along with a beer cap full of muriate of potash, mixed up with 1 gallon of
water, divided equally among the small buckets. They are doing good so far,
although small in size. I'm using three buckets so I don't want to buy 3
air stones but then again, I'll check into it. Thanks so much for helping.

Old December 11th 05, 10:22 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"Mud" wrote in message
m...
I am trying to save a few of my water hyacinths and water lettuce inside
my house in buckets of water. I am changing the water out each week,
pinching off any dead leaves/pieces and they're staying alive so far
although not seeming to grow any. Do they need anything special to winter
over inside...thanks!

I live in Zone 7A, North Carolina.

Sunlight is the best thing for them, rather than your growlight. Add some
Miracle Grow (or other plant fertilizer) to the bucket.

Thanks, Bill. Please see my other post... you seem to be right on the
money!

Old December 12th 05, 10:28 PM posted to rec.ponds

"kc" wrote in message
I've decided since my one or two water hyacinths and lettuce soon turn
into one hundred every summer I'm just going to start again next year!

=================
Since attractive healthy ones are hard to find here some years, and the
prices have gone up to $3.50 to $4.50 each, it pays for me to keep some
over. It gives me a good head start in the spring.

Old December 13th 05, 08:32 AM posted to rec.ponds

Mud wrote:
"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"Mud" wrote in message
. com...

I am trying to save a few of my water hyacinths and water lettuce inside
my house in buckets of water. I am changing the water out each week,
pinching off any dead leaves/pieces and they're staying alive so far
although not seeming to grow any. Do they need anything special to winter
over inside...thanks!

I live in Zone 7A, North Carolina.

Sunlight is the best thing for them, rather than your growlight. Add some
Miracle Grow (or other plant fertilizer) to the bucket.

Thanks, Bill. Please see my other post... you seem to be right on the
money!

I was told to overwinter them with their roots in mud. 1 month in and
still looking healty.

Paul

Rec.ponds FAQ Snooze General 0 May 17th 05 03:05 AM
Rec.ponds FAQ Snooze General 7 April 11th 05 07:04 AM
Love water and gardens...but need advice! Kathie General (alternative) 2 May 26th 04 12:27 AM
Water Hyacinths david williams General 0 May 22nd 04 03:00 PM
Keeping water hyacinths out of skimmers Remydog General 8 May 13th 04 05:14 PM