power windows

Old August 23rd 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default power windows

93 explorer
Front driver's side window not working properly.
When raising or lowering the window, I can hear the motor but also hear a
clicking noise like a gear might be slipping, and I have to use my hand to
help raise or lower the window. any suggestions? thanx

Old August 23rd 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Charlie Bress

Check out this site http://draco.acs.uci.edu/explorer/

It has a lot of good info of Explorers of that vintage. It does have a
section on the power windows.

Charlie
'92 187000 miles and counting

Old August 24th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Alan E. Seelbach

I am certainly not an expert on this subject...but it sounds like the
regulator is shot. My friend just had a similar experience and I didn't
even know that the lifting and closing mechanism was called a regulator.
These are expensive to buy locally, but if you do a search on e-bay, you
should be able to purchase one for about $80.00.

HTH,
Al in Poughkeepsie

Old August 24th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Charlie Bress

Probably not the regulator. In the motor there are three plastic pieces that
drive a gear. This wonderful design is a failure ready to happen. The
plastic deteriorates and crumbles. If you can find a rebuilt motor at the
right price that is the easiest way out. I have disassembled all four of
mine over the years and replace the plastic parts. I would avoid the ones
from a junk yard. If they are the same age they may also be ready to fail.

Charlie

Old August 25th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Sam[_3_]

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:20:26 -0400, "Charlie Bress"
> wrote:

>Probably not the regulator. In the motor there are three plastic pieces that
>drive a gear. This wonderful design is a failure ready to happen. The
>plastic deteriorates and crumbles. If you can find a rebuilt motor at the
>right price that is the easiest way out. I have disassembled all four of
>mine over the years and replace the plastic parts. I would avoid the ones
>from a junk yard. If they are the same age they may also be ready to fail.
>
>Charlie

Hi, I have read your reply to Alan about his power windows and
noticed that you are someone who has performed the maintenance to his
windows so if you do not mind I would like to ask you a couple of
questions.

I have a 94 explorer and have taken the door skin off of one of my
doors to see how hard it is to perform the repair via the explorer
maintenance website.
I see that I have to drill out the pop rivets in order to get the
motor out. What do I put in once I have replaced the plastic pieces ?
I mean now since the pop rivets are drilled out do I use screws and
nuts with lock washers to secure everything back?? I really look
forward to hearing you experience because I have 3 windows now that
desperately need the repair and will do so once I have a full
understanding of the process.

Thanks,

Sam Cederas
Raleigh, N.C.

Old August 25th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Captain Coleman

Whenever I worked on one of my door locks, I had to drill out a pop rivit.
The replacement pop rivit was too big for a standard pop rivit gun, it
required a much larger gun than the ones usually sold in lowes or auto parts
stores. I ended up finding a plastic push rivit that I used to hold the
door lock power actuator in place. I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I
though the information might be useful.

Old August 25th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Sam[_3_]

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:52:40 -0500, "Captain Coleman"
> wrote:

>Whenever I worked on one of my door locks, I had to drill out a pop rivit.
>The replacement pop rivit was too big for a standard pop rivit gun, it
>required a much larger gun than the ones usually sold in lowes or auto parts
>stores. I ended up finding a plastic push rivit that I used to hold the
>door lock power actuator in place. I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I
>though the information might be useful.

Yes it is helpfull. You shared your experience and that carries a lot
of weight in my book. Thank you.

I had mine disassembled several weeks ago on a day when it was 98
degrees and humid. It was not a good day to be doing a project that
requires patience and somewhat comfortable working conditions so I
buttoned it all back up for another day. Now one of the windows falls
down about a quarter inch from the top while going down the road and
the others are showing the signs.
The weather is a little cooler now and I hope to do it soon.

Thanks again for your info.

Sam in Raleigh.

BTW, anyone else want to share their experience with repairing their
power windows? It is appreciated !!
Old August 25th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Charlie Bress

"Sam" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:52:40 -0500, "Captain Coleman"
> > wrote:
>
>>Whenever I worked on one of my door locks, I had to drill out a pop rivit.
>>The replacement pop rivit was too big for a standard pop rivit gun, it
>>required a much larger gun than the ones usually sold in lowes or auto
>>parts
>>stores. I ended up finding a plastic push rivit that I used to hold the
>>door lock power actuator in place. I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I
>>though the information might be useful.
>>

> Yes it is helpfull. You shared your experience and that carries a lot
> of weight in my book. Thank you.
>
> I had mine disassembled several weeks ago on a day when it was 98
> degrees and humid. It was not a good day to be doing a project that
> requires patience and somewhat comfortable working conditions so I
> buttoned it all back up for another day. Now one of the windows falls
> down about a quarter inch from the top while going down the road and
> the others are showing the signs.
> The weather is a little cooler now and I hope to do it soon.
>
> Thanks again for your info.
>

> Sam in Raleigh.
>
> BTW, anyone else want to share their experience with repairing their
> power windows? It is appreciated !!

Figuring on having to do it again some time in the future, I just used nuts,
bolts and lock washers.

Charlie

Old September 18th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Sam[_3_]

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:20:26 -0400, "Charlie Bress"
> wrote:

>Probably not the regulator. In the motor there are three plastic pieces that
>drive a gear. This wonderful design is a failure ready to happen. The
>plastic deteriorates and crumbles. If you can find a rebuilt motor at the
>right price that is the easiest way out. I have disassembled all four of
>mine over the years and replace the plastic parts. I would avoid the ones
>from a junk yard. If they are the same age they may also be ready to fail.
>
>Charlie

Curious.....I just replaced the plastic piece you are talking about in
one of my windows today which fixed the problem...doing the rest this
week.

How long ago was it that you did the same to yours? Just wondering
if any of yours have failed again...I mean has any of the plastic
pieces crumbled to pieces yet?

Also the only place I put grease was on the gear itself and at the end
of the shaft the armature sits on. Wondering if grease is supposed
to be on the 3 plastic pieces.

Sam in Raleigh.
Old September 19th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Charlie Bress

"Sam" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:20:26 -0400, "Charlie Bress"
> > wrote:
>
>>Probably not the regulator. In the motor there are three plastic pieces
>>that
>>drive a gear. This wonderful design is a failure ready to happen. The
>>plastic deteriorates and crumbles. If you can find a rebuilt motor at the
>>right price that is the easiest way out. I have disassembled all four of
>>mine over the years and replace the plastic parts. I would avoid the ones
>>from a junk yard. If they are the same age they may also be ready to fail.
>>
>>Charlie

> Curious.....I just replaced the plastic piece you are talking about in
> one of my windows today which fixed the problem...doing the rest this
> week.
>
> How long ago was it that you did the same to yours? Just wondering
> if any of yours have failed again...I mean has any of the plastic
> pieces crumbled to pieces yet?
>
> Also the only place I put grease was on the gear itself and at the end
> of the shaft the armature sits on. Wondering if grease is supposed
> to be on the 3 plastic pieces.
>
> Sam in Raleigh.

What I used was plastic from a plastic cutting board. I am not sure what the
material was, but it is more resilient than the stuff that is used in the
windows. When the first window failed, I bought after market from a place I
found online. I am basing my comparison on those replacement parts. None of
my homemade parts have failed. All of my original parts failed.

Charlie (92 with over 180,000)

Electrical Problem???? Starter doesn't turn - power windows are dead, etc.... Ben Martin Technology 4 April 20th 06 03:40 PM
power windows in XJ? wkearney99 Jeep 1 May 19th 05 06:45 AM
A3 Jetta Gl Convert manuel windows to power windows Lee VW water cooled 2 May 10th 05 12:27 PM
Power windows 97 SL2 Scott Adams Saturn 2 January 30th 05 03:52 PM
Power Windows D'Elbow VW water cooled 4 January 25th 05 03:07 AM