03 passat water in footwell

Old June 22nd 05, 07:39 PM
pdnews

Default 03 passat water in footwell

After finding 1/2" of water in the footwell after a heavy rain, I traced
the leak to the compartment housing the battery and master brake
cylinder, which had 6" of water in it which I siphoned out. Apparently
part of the windshield drains into the battery box, which has drain
holes under the battery which are inaccessable. These got clogged with
leaf junk.

Does anyone know how to get to the drain holes to clean them out without
removing the battery?
Old June 22nd 05, 09:38 PM
Iain Miller

"pdnews" > wrote in message
> After finding 1/2" of water in the footwell after a heavy rain, I traced
> the leak to the compartment housing the battery and master brake cylinder,
> which had 6" of water in it which I siphoned out. Apparently part of the
> windshield drains into the battery box, which has drain holes under the
> battery which are inaccessable. These got clogged with leaf junk.
>
> Does anyone know how to get to the drain holes to clean them out without
> removing the battery?

You can't really - you could consider removing the rubber drain grommets in
them though which should make the holes less likely to block.

Your biggest concern now is whether your Climate Control Module is now
trashed - its located under the driver's seat (assuming you are in the USA).
APart from the Climate control this controls stuff like the interior lights
& central locking etc.

If you had 1/2 an inch visible in the footwell there was probably a lot more
you couldn't see. Suggest you run a de-humidifier in there for a while

I.

Old June 22nd 05, 09:54 PM
Woodchuck

The CCU is under the drivers carpet and TCM is under the passenger side
carpet. If you have climatronic then the Climate Control Module is part of
the control head. The fix is to remove the battery and throw the rubber
drain away. Also replace the ventilation intake assembly. I also remove the
carpet and check for water/electrical damage.