NaturalPoint TrackIR (mini-review)

Old March 14th 05, 03:41 AM
ymenard

>"Whoo" > wrote
> C:PR = Crap Precision Racing?

Yes, yes indeed. It had a look-ahead feature that is pretty crude by
today's standards.

.... and that Microsoft guy posting here trying to put out the flame threads.

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old March 14th 05, 04:51 AM
pw

>I tweaked their default profile and that helped. Let's say from the
>left to the right side of your monitor you move your head 45 degrees
>(just picking a simple number). With the default setup you can look
>into the back seat as you look to the sides of the monitor. Basically
>your 45 degree movement is converted to 360 degrees. That's a lot! I
>changed that range to only allow me to look full left and full right (45
>degrees of real movement equals 180 degrees of sim movement.) It makes
>it more intuitive and less jumpy. I also made the curve of the head
>turn linear (rather than increasing the further you look). That way the
>speed of your head turn is matched directly on the screen. The
>NaturalPoint software has a lot of flexibility.

Sounds GREAT Russell!

But how did you do that? For Instance, right now I have the Racing
profile up and have selected the Yaw. What do I do know?

Thanks!

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

Old March 14th 05, 11:28 PM
Russell

pw wrote:
>>I tweaked their default profile and that helped. Let's say from the
>>left to the right side of your monitor you move your head 45 degrees
>>(just picking a simple number). With the default setup you can look
>>into the back seat as you look to the sides of the monitor. Basically
>>your 45 degree movement is converted to 360 degrees. That's a lot! I
>>changed that range to only allow me to look full left and full right (45
>>degrees of real movement equals 180 degrees of sim movement.) It makes
>>it more intuitive and less jumpy. I also made the curve of the head
>>turn linear (rather than increasing the further you look). That way the
>>speed of your head turn is matched directly on the screen. The
>>NaturalPoint software has a lot of flexibility.

> Sounds GREAT Russell!
>
> But how did you do that? For Instance, right now I have the Racing
> profile up and have selected the Yaw. What do I do know?
>
> Thanks!
>

> -pw
> remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
> (use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

Here is how I did it. Set your values to what you like.
1. Start TrackIR
2. Click on Profiles tab
3. click on new button, give it a name (this way you don't change one of
the pre-set ones in case things go wrong .
4. click on the motion tab
5. click "edit yaw"
6. click on the "Shift entire curve" down button until you flatten the
curve and it completely goes to zero
7. Now click on the "Shift entire curve" up button until it comes up to
8 (or whatever you want). Now you have a flat response.
8. Set "Copy curve to axis" to "All" and press copy (this sets every
axis this way)
9. Check what you have set up in the View/Heads tab. The setting I
described allows me to comfortably look to the left side of my monitor
and be looking out the left side of the car at a bit less than 90
degrees (the in-game head is about 90 degrees.)
10. I choose this as my main profile by clicking on the box for this
profile under "Exclusive-load".

Hope this help. Experiment.
Russell
Old March 16th 05, 03:23 AM
pw

>pw wrote:
>>>I tweaked their default profile and that helped. Let's say from the
>>>left to the right side of your monitor you move your head 45 degrees
>>>(just picking a simple number). With the default setup you can look
>>>into the back seat as you look to the sides of the monitor. Basically
>>>your 45 degree movement is converted to 360 degrees. That's a lot! I
>>>changed that range to only allow me to look full left and full right (45
>>>degrees of real movement equals 180 degrees of sim movement.) It makes
>>>it more intuitive and less jumpy. I also made the curve of the head
>>>turn linear (rather than increasing the further you look). That way the
>>>speed of your head turn is matched directly on the screen. The
>>>NaturalPoint software has a lot of flexibility.

>> Sounds GREAT Russell!
>>
>> But how did you do that? For Instance, right now I have the Racing
>> profile up and have selected the Yaw. What do I do know?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> -pw
>> remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
>> (use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
>> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

>Here is how I did it. Set your values to what you like.
>1. Start TrackIR
>2. Click on Profiles tab
>3. click on new button, give it a name (this way you don't change one of
>the pre-set ones in case things go wrong .
>4. click on the motion tab
>5. click "edit yaw"
>6. click on the "Shift entire curve" down button until you flatten the
>curve and it completely goes to zero
>7. Now click on the "Shift entire curve" up button until it comes up to
>8 (or whatever you want). Now you have a flat response.
>8. Set "Copy curve to axis" to "All" and press copy (this sets every
>axis this way)
>9. Check what you have set up in the View/Heads tab. The setting I
>described allows me to comfortably look to the left side of my monitor
>and be looking out the left side of the car at a bit less than 90
>degrees (the in-game head is about 90 degrees.)
>10. I choose this as my main profile by clicking on the box for this
>profile under "Exclusive-load".
>
>Hope this help. Experiment.
>Russell

Great stuff Russell!!!! Thank you so much. I will study the
manual/help-file again but I don't remember seeing anything like that
mentioned!

-paul

Old March 17th 05, 12:35 AM
Russell

pw wrote:

>>>Sounds GREAT Russell!
>>>
>>>But how did you do that? For Instance, right now I have the Racing
>>>profile up and have selected the Yaw. What do I do know?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>

>>>-pw
>>>remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
>>>(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

>>>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
>>>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

>>Here is how I did it. Set your values to what you like.
>>1. Start TrackIR
>>2. Click on Profiles tab
>>3. click on new button, give it a name (this way you don't change one of
>>the pre-set ones in case things go wrong .
>>4. click on the motion tab
>>5. click "edit yaw"
>>6. click on the "Shift entire curve" down button until you flatten the
>>curve and it completely goes to zero
>>7. Now click on the "Shift entire curve" up button until it comes up to
>>8 (or whatever you want). Now you have a flat response.
>>8. Set "Copy curve to axis" to "All" and press copy (this sets every
>>axis this way)
>>9. Check what you have set up in the View/Heads tab. The setting I
>>described allows me to comfortably look to the left side of my monitor
>>and be looking out the left side of the car at a bit less than 90
>>degrees (the in-game head is about 90 degrees.)
>>10. I choose this as my main profile by clicking on the box for this
>>profile under "Exclusive-load".
>>
>>Hope this help. Experiment.
>>Russell

> Great stuff Russell!!!! Thank you so much. I will study the
> manual/help-file again but I don't remember seeing anything like that
> mentioned!
>
> -paul
>

> -pw
> remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
> (use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

Paul,
I don't know if it is the manual or not. I haven't gotten that far to
read it
Russell