Looking at 2001 Accord, any common things to look out for?

Old May 2nd 07, 12:01 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
JM[_1_]

Default Looking at 2001 Accord, any common things to look out for?

One thing I noticed on this car; one of the A/C lines that runs vertically
between the rad and the engine was coated in a thick layer of some kind of
greenish grease.. I couldn't tell if it was a green liquid that had picked
up dirt over time, or if whatever it was was like that to begin with.. Any
idea what that might be?

Old May 2nd 07, 03:02 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Tue, 01 May 2007 23:01:20 +0000, JM wrote:

> One thing I noticed on this car; one of the A/C lines that runs vertically
> between the rad and the engine was coated in a thick layer of some kind of
> greenish grease.. I couldn't tell if it was a green liquid that had picked
> up dirt over time, or if whatever it was was like that to begin with..
> Any idea what that might be?

Was it a Japanese Honda, or US. I'm betting it was Japanese, and they
coated the lines with Cosmoline (or something similar) to keep them from
corroding.

They used to use Cosmolime on EVERYTHING when the cars were shipped from
Japan because the marine environment would corrode different parts. I had
a Toyota clutch cylinder fail because of this. Funny thing was, the car
was covered with Cosmoline when it arrived at the dealer!

Old May 2nd 07, 03:36 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= >
wrote in news:hS0_h.6913$dy2.6767@trndny01:

> They used to use Cosmolime on EVERYTHING when the cars were shipped
> from Japan because the marine environment would corrode different
> parts. I had a Toyota clutch cylinder fail because of this. Funny
> thing was, the car was covered with Cosmoline when it arrived at the
> dealer!

So was mine. But the coating isn't actually Cosmoline. Cosmoline melts very
readily in the sun, and is not suitable for coating a car that's left in
the weather.

When I saw my car for the first time in 1991, I was sorely disappointed.
Not only was there that lumpy, dull coating on it, but it was streaked with
dirt from weeks at sea. Looked pretty forlorn and drab. It had come off the
boat just a few days before.

The next week, when I took delivery, they had cleaned it all off, and the
car was absolutely transformed into a sparkling jewel.

--
Tegger

2001 Accord, anything to look out for JM[_1_] Honda 0 May 1st 07 02:37 AM
2001 Accord ac/heater [email protected] Honda 3 December 11th 06 09:48 PM
2001 Accord V6 [email protected] Honda 0 March 26th 06 11:37 PM
best tire for 4-dr 2001 accord LX ap Driving 9 October 26th 05 06:19 AM
2001 Accord using Oil Honda Owner 2001 Accord Honda 14 October 15th 05 03:20 AM