97 Honda CX 40 mpg but burning oil?

Old April 29th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default 97 Honda CX 40 mpg but burning oil?

On Apr 28, 2:53 pm, Grumpy AuContraire >
wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
> > motsco_ wrote:

> >> ---------------------------

> >> Did you check the PCV ? ? It's only worth about $20 and might cut your
> >> oil usage by 75%

> >> 'Curly'

> > agreed - check that first.

> I was thinking along the same lines that it is often a ventilation issue
> that causes a gradual increase in oil consumption particularly since
> 160K is not real high mileage for a Honda. OTOH, if there is a lot of
> stop 'n go, an engine will "age" faster.
>
> JT
>
> (Who wishes it was that simple on the $200 Civic turdbox...)- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for all the help, I looked for the PCV valve but couldn't find
it offhand, even under the intake manifold. There just seemed to be
standard hose connections. the manual I have is pretty unclear,
nothing specific to my exact car. The PCV valve pics I have seen for
this car are 90 degrees, I haven't seen anything on my car that
corresponds with the pics.

What I did find was a hose directly from the top of the valve cover
into the throttle body, directly under the air filter. There is a
oily trail from that connection down into the throttle. I didn't see
any valve, there are two 90 degree hose connections( which were
flexible, couldn't feel an internal vavle) and a metal tube. It
looked stock but should there be a valve in between?

Old April 29th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
> > motsco_ wrote:

> >> ---------------------------

> >> Did you check the PCV ? ? It's only worth about $20 and might cut your
> >> oil usage by 75%

> >> 'Curly'

> > agreed - check that first.

> I was thinking along the same lines that it is often a ventilation issue
> that causes a gradual increase in oil consumption particularly since
> 160K is not real high mileage for a Honda. OTOH, if there is a lot of
> stop 'n go, an engine will "age" faster.
>
> JT
>
> (Who wishes it was that simple on the $200 Civic turdbox...)- Hide quoted text -

I did find the PCV valve way up above the oil filter and cleaned it
with carb cleaner, the "rattle" seemed to be smoother and louder so
maybe it was clogged. I will check out the oil mileage this week....
thanks again.

Old April 29th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On Apr 29, 11:03 am, motsco_ > wrote:
> wrote:
> > I did find the PCV valve way up above the oil filter and cleaned it
> > with carb cleaner, the "rattle" seemed to be smoother and louder so
> > maybe it was clogged. I will check out the oil mileage this week....
> > thanks again.

> ===================================
>
> You have to check it by blowing through it. It's supposed to allow a
> certain amount through one way, but none the other. If the spring is
> fatigued or broken (rusted to nothing), sure it will 'rattle', but not
> work. Walk into the dealer and ask them if you can compare a new one.
>
> 'Curly'

Right, it allowed the carb cleaner one way only, I will give it a week
or so and see what happens. Thanks...

Old April 30th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
alfonso2501[_14_]

Keep us posted.

--
alfonso2501
alfonso2501's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...p?userid=88636

http://www.automotiveforums.com

93 SL-1 oil burning help Chris Saturn 1 March 11th 05 02:23 PM
Burning Oil - rapidly binger Technology 16 January 10th 05 08:13 PM
99 M3 burning oil? Kanwar Dhaliwal BMW 2 January 6th 05 08:25 PM
Burning oil/PCV valve Lee3333 Saturn 2 September 11th 04 07:53 PM
Is my '99 SC1 burning, or leaking oil? Ken Very Big Liar Saturn 3 July 1st 04 05:33 PM