Water pump replacement

Old January 15th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

Default Water pump replacement

I am having a tough time replacing my leaking water pump. Per the
directions, the timing belt has to be removed, which can be removed
until the crank shaft pulley has been removed. After 2 days of trying
- I can't get the crank shaft pulley off.

Has anyone ever replaced the water pump without totally removing the
timing belt?

Any better ideas, or any ideas for anchoring the crank shaft pulley
while trying to loosen the bolt holding the pulley on? Any ideas for
loosening the bolt?

Any help would be appreciated.

By the way - 1993 Miata - 180000 miles.

Ari

Old January 15th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ken Lyons

> wrote
> ......any ideas for anchoring the crank shaft pulley
> while trying to loosen the bolt holding the pulley on? Any ideas for
> loosening the bolt?

This tool will do the job.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...umber=64881 9
or
http://tinyurl.com/yx2ebo
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway

Old January 15th 07, 09:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
KWS

Here are three suggestions for removing the crankshaft pulley bolt:

1. Make a holding tool such as the one shown he
http://www.miata.net/garage/LongNoseRepair/index.html

2. Put the transmission in gear so the pulley will not move. Use a
breaker bar and socket. Position the breaker bar so you have to apply
force in the upward direction to loosen the nut. Put a mechanical or
hydraulic jack under the breaker bar and jack up the bar until the nut
breaks free.

3. There are those who use a variation of (2) by resting the end of the
breaker bar on the floor and engaging the starter. Although they swear
by it, I have my doubts as to how safe and sane it is. Also, you now
have to re-align your crankshaft and cams. This isn't too bad for those
who know what they are doing...but why bother when you have two other
options.

Good luck,

Ken

Old January 17th 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

Unfortunately - the tool is for '92 and before - and I am pretty sure
it won't fit a '93 because of a pin on the pulley that might not have
been on '92 and before.

Anyone know of a tool for a '93 Miata?

Thanks,
AC

Old January 22nd 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

The jack worked like a charm - plus I fashioned a piece of metal to
keep the crankshaft from turning - which it was doing a little even in
5th.

Old January 27th 07, 05:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
KWS

Good for you, bam2chan!

Ken