HAM antenna

Old June 25th 07, 10:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Eartlink

Default HAM antenna

Need some ideas or a write up on the installation of antennas on 2001
wranglers...

Thank you.

Old June 25th 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kevin in Iowa

On Jun 25, 4:10 am, "Eartlink" > wrote:
> Need some ideas or a write up on the installation of antennas on 2001
> wranglers...
>
> Thank you.

It all depends on what kind of antenna you are going to use, it is for
2m/440 or for HF use. A few in the group have made mounts that extend
out from under the hood, Jerry B. or Jenn would be a good resource for
this info.

Old June 25th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Kevin in Iowa wrote:
> On Jun 25, 4:10 am, "Eartlink" > wrote:
>> Need some ideas or a write up on the installation of antennas on 2001
>> wranglers...
>>
>> Thank you.

> It all depends on what kind of antenna you are going to use, it is for
> 2m/440 or for HF use. A few in the group have made mounts that extend
> out from under the hood, Jerry B. or Jenn would be a good resource for
> this info.

I think you would want one made out of metal. Ham isn't a very
good RF radiator. Lots of attenuation and the dogs chew on them.

--
DougW

Old June 26th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scott in Baltimore

Kevin in Iowa wrote:
> On Jun 25, 4:10 am, "Eartlink" > wrote:
>> Need some ideas or a write up on the installation of antennas on 2001
>> wranglers...
>>
>> Thank you.

> It all depends on what kind of antenna you are going to use, it is for
> 2m/440 or for HF use. A few in the group have made mounts that extend
> out from under the hood, Jerry B. or Jenn would be a good resource for
> this info.

I've put 2 meter / 440 antennas through the flat fender next to the hood
and my 10/11 and 6 meter antennas are on the back bumper. The endcaps
have been removed for a decade now!

I highly unrecommend magnet mounts for any frequency.

-Scott

'97 TJ SE
Old June 26th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Like a radio telephone keep it away from your computer, like in this GM
advisory: http://service.gm.com/techlineinfo/radio.html and Citizen Band:
http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

k.net...

Old June 26th 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

The "problem" with this info is it does not cover one of the bigger
threats to car electronics or how to deal with it. One of the biggest
potentail problems is a RF feedback through power leg of transceiver
into cars electrical system. None of those tips deal with that. The
way to combat that is to install a filter choke in power legs of
transceiver to block it. I have done this for many years in many
vehcle with Ham radio equipment and I have never had a problem even
with cars that actually advise against it.

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:53:10 -0700, "L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III"

http://www.billhughes.com/

>"Eartlink" > wrote in message
nk.net...
>> Need some ideas or a write up on the installation of antennas on 2001
>> wranglers...
>>
>> Thank you.

-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old June 27th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

DougW proclaimed:

> Kevin in Iowa wrote:
>
>>On Jun 25, 4:10 am, "Eartlink" > wrote:
>>
>>>Need some ideas or a write up on the installation of antennas on 2001
>>>wranglers...
>>>
>>>Thank you.

>>It all depends on what kind of antenna you are going to use, it is for
>>2m/440 or for HF use. A few in the group have made mounts that extend
>>out from under the hood, Jerry B. or Jenn would be a good resource for
>>this info.

> I think you would want one made out of metal. Ham isn't a very
> good RF radiator. Lots of attenuation and the dogs chew on them.

As it gets a bit rancid, doesn't it also become spam?
Old June 28th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
James[_1_]

By "power leg" , do you mean the 12 volt wire for power ?

James

Old June 28th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scott in Baltimore

> By "power leg" , do you mean the 12 volt wire for power ?

You'd be amazed how much RF travels down the power line. The worst
offenders are amplifiers. And high-power audio amps have DC-DC
inverters in them that create mucho hash.
Old June 28th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 20:11:29 -0400, Scott in Baltimore
> wrote:

>> By "power leg" , do you mean the 12 volt wire for power ?

>You'd be amazed how much RF travels down the power line. The worst
>offenders are amplifiers. And high-power audio amps have DC-DC
>inverters in them that create mucho hash.

Yes you are right, there is a lot of hash and RF going down them back
into car. ALso, yes I am refering to the 12 volt power feed.
TheSnoMan.com

HAM Antenna Eartlink Jeep 0 June 25th 07 10:10 AM
Which Antenna to use? [email protected] BMW 4 March 27th 07 02:53 PM
XM Antenna [email protected] Saturn 1 August 18th 05 01:24 PM
CB Antenna??? FrankW Jeep 14 June 20th 05 06:35 AM
antenna on A4 JJ Audi 2 June 27th 04 09:36 PM