Late model Z-3

Old March 1st 05, 10:00 PM
Fritz Wagner

Default Late model Z-3

I was looking at a Miata and liked it a lot except for one thing:
I would have to cut 4 inches of my right leg to get it between
the steering wheel and the transmission tunnel!

So I am thinking I should consider a Z-3 Roadster. Any
opinions here pro or con? One thing that bothered me
a little is that the BMW dealer seems to have a VERY large
inventory of used Z cars. Is it because Columbus is getting
a real winter for the first time in 25 years?
Thank you.

Fritz Wagner
Columbus, Ohio
Old March 1st 05, 11:39 PM
Tom Korth

"Fritz Wagner" > wrote in message
>I was looking at a Miata and liked it a lot except for one thing:
> I would have to cut 4 inches of my right leg to get it between
> the steering wheel and the transmission tunnel!
>
> So I am thinking I should consider a Z-3 Roadster. Any
> opinions here pro or con? One thing that bothered me
> a little is that the BMW dealer seems to have a VERY large
> inventory of used Z cars. Is it because Columbus is getting
> a real winter for the first time in 25 years?
> Thank you.
>
> Fritz Wagner
> Columbus, Ohio

I put about 68,000 miles on a new '97 Z3 2.8 (which was then traded in on a
Z4) and was quite happy with the car. If you'd like to email me with
specific questions, please remove the "nospam".

Tom K.

Old March 2nd 05, 12:15 AM
The Malt Hound

"Tom Korth" > wrote in message

> "Fritz Wagner" > wrote in message
>>I was looking at a Miata and liked it a lot except for one thing:
>> I would have to cut 4 inches of my right leg to get it between
>> the steering wheel and the transmission tunnel!
>>
>> So I am thinking I should consider a Z-3 Roadster. Any
>> opinions here pro or con? One thing that bothered me
>> a little is that the BMW dealer seems to have a VERY large
>> inventory of used Z cars. Is it because Columbus is getting
>> a real winter for the first time in 25 years?
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Fritz Wagner
>> Columbus, Ohio

> I put about 68,000 miles on a new '97 Z3 2.8 (which was then traded
> in on a Z4) and was quite happy with the car. If you'd like to
> email me with specific questions, please remove the "nospam".

I agree, it's a hell of a car. Makes a Miata feel sick. Handling,
power, the whole deal...
By all means drive one and make up your own mind.

So, if you do find you want a Z3, check out the one I have for sale
at:
http://users.adelphia.net/~fredwills/

I really don't want to sell it. I'd much rather keep it forever...
But family priorities, and all that.

Anyway, even if you don't buy mine, it's a hell of a roadster. Head
and shoulders above a Miata... Even the Mazda RX7 I had before the Z3
makes the Miata feel silly, and the Z makes kicks the RX's butt.

-Fred W

Old March 2nd 05, 12:38 AM
Dean Dark

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 18:15:58 -0500, "The Malt Hound" <Malt_Hound@*no
spam please*yahoo.com> wrote:

>Anyway, even if you don't buy mine, it's a hell of a roadster. Head
>and shoulders above a Miata... Even the Mazda RX7 I had before the Z3
>makes the Miata feel silly, and the Z makes kicks the RX's butt.

That may be because you don't know how to drive a car like a Miata
properly.

It's not all about straight line grunt, you know. I still have a
Caterham Seven with a mere 135BHP crossflow, in which I will
*seriously* kick your Z3's arse on any track - other than one with
mile long straights.

Another modestly priced car in this class that is *well worth* looking
at is the Toyota MR2. Mid engine, light weight, it's a hoot. I just
replaced SWMBO's '94 Miata 'R' with one. This is the last year for
the MR2, in the US at least, and I - oops, I mean she - just *had* to
have one while there's still the chance. It's like a baby NSX, I love
it.

BMW "roadsters" don't impress me, at least not unless you're talking
about an Alpina. Apart from that, they're too heavy and expensive,
there's better to be had for a lot less money.
--
Dean Dark
Old March 2nd 05, 01:28 AM
Bradburn Fentress

"Dean Dark" > wrote in message

> That may be because you don't know how to drive a car like a Miata
> properly.
>
> It's not all about straight line grunt, you know. I still have a
> Caterham Seven with a mere 135BHP crossflow, in which I will
> *seriously* kick your Z3's arse on any track - other than one with
> mile long straights.

Which might be pertinent if the OP was looking for the car that best
performs on the track. I've driven those cars (though not yours because I
don't remember a 135 bhp model, must be older than the ones I have driven),
and I don't think many would choose it as an everyday driver on most
countries' roads. While I like the 7 Range, I don't like any of them as a
car to live with everyday. I suspect he is looking for some nice performance
along with an enjoyable road ride and some nice appointments to the car.

In any case, there is another British car I like much more in terms of fun
on the track. We get it soon, but they want way too much money for a car
that will weigh a few hundred pounds more in US trim.

Still, I think the BMW Z cars and the Porsche Boxster are the best small
roadsters for everyday living.

Old March 2nd 05, 01:47 AM
Dean Dark

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 17:28:17 -0700, "Bradburn Fentress"
> wrote:

>Which might be pertinent if the OP was looking ...

>I suspect he is looking for some nice performance
>along with an enjoyable road ride and some nice appointments to the car.

My comments were not really directed at the OP. If *he* wants "some
nice performance along with an enjoyable road ride and some nice
appointments to the car" like you say, then a used Z3 should be up
high on his shopping list. So should a Nissan Z350, etc. etc.

<Caterham Seven snippage>

>I don't remember a 135 bhp model, must be older than the ones I have driven

The standard Caterham 1700 Supersprint engine was (somewhat
optimistically) rated at 135 BHP. I thought everyone knew that.
Maybe you've only driven some of the later Seven knockoffs with Rover
/Buick V8s? I happen to think that nothing other than a four-pot
screamer belongs under the hood/bonnet of that car. YMMV, obviously.
--
Dean Dark
Old March 2nd 05, 05:56 PM
Bradburn Fentress

"Dean Dark" > wrote in message
news
> The standard Caterham 1700 Supersprint engine was (somewhat
> optimistically) rated at 135 BHP. I thought everyone knew that.

I didn't....guess I'm the only one.

> Maybe you've only driven some of the later Seven knockoffs with Rover
> /Buick V8s?

Well, some people think anything post-Lotus isn't a real 7, but lets hope
you don't think me dim enough to drive a kit-car and believe it real.

> happen to think that nothing other than a four-pot
> screamer belongs under the hood/bonnet of that car. YMMV, obviously.

I haven't driven any 7 without a 4 banger so I wouldn't know what a 6 or 8
cylinder unit would feel like in the cars. I can't imagine why anyone would
go that route given the weight penalties. I do have a hope to drive the
Cosworth CSR the next time I am in Britain, but it isn't clear to me that
the factory is yet putting those cars on the road. I think maybe they are
only available in track versions.

In any case, I don't see 7's as a viable alternative to Boxsters and BMW
Z's. They are a different animal for different purposes altogether....and
they are ugly :^)

Old March 2nd 05, 07:56 PM
MAd MAx

"Bradburn Fentress" > a écrit dans le message news:

> "Dean Dark" > wrote in message

[...]
> Still, I think the BMW Z cars and the Porsche Boxster are the best small
> roadsters for everyday living.

Fully agree with you. I've had a Triumph 1500 FH I enjoyed albeit
underpowered. Nice to drive it in the traffic because very light weighted
and quick responding. The RWD allows easy cornering. With the Z3 Coupé 3.0i,
I found exactly the same nice behaviour plus the silence, plus the comfort,
plus the softness and the power of the straight six engine. I can't say that
I pushed it at its limits !

Seats are very well designed. I've problems with my back. With the Z, miles
can be swallowed without any pain.

Only a con but I think this is more or less the same with every car equipped
with large tires. Today I wouldn't put 17'' rims with 245 on the rear and
225 on the front weels. Too much tramlining, except on the highway.

I've been using it for 3.5 years for daily commuting, 60 km at all. I
wouldn't change it for another brand !

Old March 3rd 05, 01:28 AM
Tom Korth

"MAd MAx" > wrote in message

> Only a con but I think this is more or less the same with every car
> equipped
> with large tires. Today I wouldn't put 17'' rims with 245 on the rear and
> 225 on the front weels. Too much tramlining, except on the highway.

I'd agree, although I had tramlining with the OEM tires (1997 model) -
225/50-16 Michelin MXM. It was largely cured when I mounted Conti Sports in
the same size.

Tom

Old March 3rd 05, 03:24 AM
+ Rob +

"Fritz Wagner" > wrote in message
> I was looking at a Miata and liked it a lot except for one thing:
> I would have to cut 4 inches of my right leg to get it between
> the steering wheel and the transmission tunnel!
>
> So I am thinking I should consider a Z-3 Roadster. Any
> opinions here pro or con? One thing that bothered me
> a little is that the BMW dealer seems to have a VERY large
> inventory of used Z cars. Is it because Columbus is getting
> a real winter for the first time in 25 years?
> Thank you.

I can relate to the Miata space issues. As I once futilely tried to
drive one, but simply could not detach my knees from the steering wheel.
However, there are now a lot of options to choose from in this space, so you
can definitely find something that meets your likes, needs and wants.
I personally drive an Audi TT 3.2 (6 cyl., DSG tranny). And I absolutely
love it. While not quite as athletic as, say, a Boxter, I prefer its
combination of comfort and fun to those of most competitors for the purpose
of everyday driving. And, most notably, it has all-wheel drive, which
essentially makes it a 4-season "summer car" for those of us who live
outside of the sunbelt. (Minnesota in my case)

Rob
2005 Audi TT 3.2 DSG