Diagnostic scanner for CAN bus?

Old February 28th 05, 10:36 PM
John Allen

Default Diagnostic scanner for CAN bus?

The Toyota Prius needs a CAN-compatible diagnostic scanner. I've found 3
places selling low-cost scanners which claim to be CAN-compatible:

http://www.auterraweb.com
- PalmOS software only, list $289, about $200 on eBay, +$20-30 for a
Palm cable
- software looks good, but no information to write own applications

http://www.ghg.net/dharrison/
- PalmOS and Windows software, list $140 for Windows, $195 for both
(including Palm cable)
- software looks slightly less polished, but programmers guide to
interface is available

http://www.obd-2.com/
- Windows software, list $240
- software looks good, but no information to write own applications (at
least, not that i could see on the website)

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? Any reason to prefer
one rather than another?

--
John Allen
Bofferdange, Luxembourg
Old March 1st 05, 01:21 AM
Roger Maxwell

I have the original non-CAN version of the Auterra scan tool that I use with
my trusty old Palm IIIxe. Works exactly as advertised. It's definitely paid
for itself through the years.

As an alternative, you might look into whether or not the Prius has an
on-board diagnostic capability that is accessible through it's center,
dash-mounted LCD screen. It seems like I remember a not-too-historic issue
of Toyota Service News mention that diagnostic capabilities were available
this way in the Prius. You might ask a competent Toyota technician. I've
probably archived or disposed of that old issue.

~Roger