OBD I ( not OBD II) codes question

Old October 22nd 04, 12:51 AM
Ron /Champ 6

Default OBD I ( not OBD II) codes question

on the 95 GLX's, with OBD I, will any code cause the check engine
light to come on? Or only emissions related codes? I think OBD II is
different, and lights up with any codes stored. Right?

I suspect my secondary coolant pump is not working, I believe it
should code on the OBD I, but don't have a light indicating any
faults.

In otherwords if the check engine light is off, does that mean there
are no codes to be pulled on an OBD I car?

Thanks!
Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6)
1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang)
1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk)
1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley)
1973 Volvo 1800 ES (An Clar)
Old October 22nd 04, 12:04 PM
Woodchuck

Will the pump set a fault code, NO!

Old October 22nd 04, 12:41 PM
Ron /Champ 6

OK then how do I verify if the pump is operating ? Remember, this is
the VR6 with the electric aux coolant pump. I suspect it is seized.
(I really thought I saw something about it setting a code based on
amperage draw in Bentley, but can't find where I thought I saw it.)

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:04:47 -0400, "Woodchuck"
> wrote:

>Will the pump set a fault code, NO!

.. .

Old October 22nd 04, 10:05 PM
Woodchuck

Put a test light or volt meter across the pump connector! If you got voltage
and you can't here the pump run then it's bad. It's that easy.

"Ron /Champ 6" > wrote in message
> OK then how do I verify if the pump is operating ? Remember, this is
> the VR6 with the electric aux coolant pump. I suspect it is seized.
> (I really thought I saw something about it setting a code based on
> amperage draw in Bentley, but can't find where I thought I saw it.)
>
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:04:47 -0400, "Woodchuck"
> > wrote:
>
>>Will the pump set a fault code, NO!

. ..

Old October 22nd 04, 11:42 PM
Ron /Champ 6

Doh, I guess so. I was trying to hear it with the engine running (

Thanks!

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:05:02 -0400, "Woodchuck"
> wrote:

>Put a test light or volt meter across the pump connector! If you got voltage
>and you can't here the pump run then it's bad. It's that easy.

.. .

Old October 23rd 04, 01:38 AM
Woodchuck

from memory it should only run after the engine is off to lower coolant
temps. There would be no need to use it when engine is running, that's the
job of the regular water pump.

"Ron /Champ 6" > wrote in message
> Doh, I guess so. I was trying to hear it with the engine running (
>
> Thanks!
>

> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:05:02 -0400, "Woodchuck"
> > wrote:
>
>>Put a test light or volt meter across the pump connector! If you got
>>voltage
>>and you can't here the pump run then it's bad. It's that easy.
>>
>>"Ron /Champ 6" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> OK then how do I verify if the pump is operating ? Remember, this is
>>> the VR6 with the electric aux coolant pump. I suspect it is seized.
>>> (I really thought I saw something about it setting a code based on
>>> amperage draw in Bentley, but can't find where I thought I saw it.)
>>>
>>> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:04:47 -0400, "Woodchuck"

m...

Old October 23rd 04, 12:30 PM
Ron /Champ 6

Well that would make sense, unless the back of the head has water flow
problems. I understood the pump to run at all times, not just shut
down.

What I do know is that even on cool days, the rad fan now runs after
shut-off, so I can't hear if the pump is running, and there is
gurgling from the block....no coolant loss though. The gurgle
(especially) is why I suspect a seized pump. The fan? It may be an
additional symptom, or something else.

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:38:52 -0400, "Woodchuck"
> wrote:

>from memory it should only run after the engine is off to lower coolant
>temps. There would be no need to use it when engine is running, that's the
>job of the regular water pump.
>
>"Ron /Champ 6" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Doh, I guess so. I was trying to hear it with the engine running (
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:05:02 -0400, "Woodchuck"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Put a test light or volt meter across the pump connector! If you got
>>>voltage
>>>and you can't here the pump run then it's bad. It's that easy.

om...

>> Ron/Champ 6
>>
>> 1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6)
>> 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang)
>> 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk)
>> 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley)
>> 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (An Clar)

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6)
1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang)
1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk)
1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley)
1973 Volvo 1800 ES (An Clar)

OT - OBD2 Trouble Codes Jeff Strickland Jeep 1 December 29th 04 06:28 AM
codes Sammy Audi 6 November 17th 04 01:16 PM
95 Saturn SL2 transaxle codes 22, 23, 24 - slips when warm u cordawg Saturn 0 October 8th 04 05:54 AM
Tranny Trouble codes jonnymcfly Saturn 4 July 7th 04 01:41 AM