Jeep runs better in sunny days

Old March 4th 05, 04:47 AM
Herb

Default Jeep runs better in sunny days

I have a 92 cherokee, 4L auto, 320,000km. I can feel it has more horse power
in sunny days. In wet days it's lack of power.
I changed plugs, ignitions wires, cap and roters 30,000km before.
Anything I need to look into?

thank you in advance.

Herb

Old March 4th 05, 07:51 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Herb,
In the old days carburated cars did run better with colder air
induction leading more gases expansion, equally more power. So if your
computer could compensate for the higher pressure, like supercharging an
engine would lead to more power. You should put it on a wheel
dynamometer to see if it's in your imagination. This reminds me I once
own an '84 Ford that's barometer had failed and it would quit every time
rain was forecast.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 4th 05, 04:24 PM
Snow

30,000km's = a year of driving on average. Did your jeep feel this way last
year after you changed plugs and stuff?

Snow...
93 XJ 371,000 km's

. ..

Old March 4th 05, 05:10 PM
Mike Romain

How is the air filter? When they get older humidity can affect the air
flow through the dust.

I don't know what plugs you used, but I have seen a pile of those
expensive bosch platinum plugs burn out fast in the 4.0 and 4.2
engines. They last for 6 month or a year, then the engine power up and
dies. The best is a Champion in my opinion.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 5th 05, 04:11 AM
Rich Hampel

They also ran better on cloudy days / rainy days due to the high
humidity that contributes to the 'octane number'. The humidity helps
to slow the flame front propagation in the combustion chamber .... just
like adding extra octane. Should be the same with EFI as that doesnt
sense the change in mass flow rate due to the less dense 'wet' air
intake. Air saturated with water vapor is less dense than dry air, etc.

So just WHERE in hell can I buy some metering rods (Rochestier
Vari-Jet Carb) of varying thickness and taper ... so I dont have to
machine new ones? .... and I dont have a jewelers lathe.

Old March 5th 05, 05:30 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

In the old days the rule of thumb, was drill the stock main jets
ten percent over, probably about half of that for you with a metering
rod going through it. That was for the stock classes at a drag strip.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 5th 05, 05:33 AM
Herb

thank you everyone for the input. I don't believe it's my imagination. I
drive it everyday, I know in dry day, it gets more power.

Mike, I bought the plugs, cap, roter, and wires from the dealership. the air
filter was changed 10,000km before.

Is it possible the wires cracked(which I did not check) not insulated, or
the end of the wires not fully pushed into the plugs.

Old March 5th 05, 03:26 PM
Mike Romain

I find the air filter can be sneaky on 4.0's with high mileage because
the engine sometimes will spit an oil film onto it. Even my CJ's just
messed up catching me by surprise. I went camping a couple weeks back
and used a full tank of gas for 210 miles! 70 freaking liters! I
haven't driven the CJ much in the last year so have very little miles on
that filter, but it was blocked with dust anyway.

It would be worth checking the wires too. They can back off a plug or
work out of the distributor cap sometimes.

Have you changed fuel brands recently? I do find a difference in
performance and mileage between brands.

Mike

What is a TJ? Brian Foster Jeep 23 January 22nd 05 07:06 AM
Jeep VS others Elliot Westcott Chrysler 64 December 19th 04 03:22 PM
Chrysler to show Jeep pickup and "FirePower" sports car concepts inDetroit MoPar Man Chrysler 4 December 10th 04 08:45 PM