2005 Grand Caravan for towing?

Old May 13th 04, 03:55 AM
Doug

Default 2005 Grand Caravan for towing?

I am looking to replace my 99 Astro AWD with something new and more up to
date. The Astro has been a great van, but its ride and handling is not up
to par with current model offerings ( the basic van has not been refreshed
for over 10years). I occasionally, meaning a couple of times a year, tow a
car trailer that weighs around 4000lbs. I know the 2005 Grand Caravan is
rated at 3800lbs with the towing package, but does anyone know if this
number is somewhat understated? Years ago, I heard that the domestics
over-engineered everything by 20-30%, but is that still true?
I don't want to get into an SUV (sucks gas and does not have as good of a
ride - plus not nearly the room inside as any mini-van), so my options are
really limited. I prefer AWD, but FWD would probably do okay (I live in the
snow belt). Anyone out there pulling big loads with a 3.8 Grand Caravan?

Old May 17th 04, 03:39 AM
Dan Fraser

Tow anything with a front wheel drive van! Maybe 1000 lbs considering the
life span of Chrysler automatic transmissions. Chrysler says it has fixed
the trannies but only time will tell.

And AWD in a mini-van that's really FWD is only meant for helping a little
with traction with icy roads. The amount of power sent to the rear wheels is
tiny compared to the proportion in a proper 4WD vehicle. Just look at the
size if the rear half shafts in one of these. A CRV or Escape too. They are
not enough to allow you to really tow much.

If you're going to tow 4000 lbs, a RWD Blazer will do a far better job in
the long run.

Dan

Old May 17th 04, 03:39 AM
Dan Fraser

Tow anything with a front wheel drive van! Maybe 1000 lbs considering the
life span of Chrysler automatic transmissions. Chrysler says it has fixed
the trannies but only time will tell.

And AWD in a mini-van that's really FWD is only meant for helping a little
with traction with icy roads. The amount of power sent to the rear wheels is
tiny compared to the proportion in a proper 4WD vehicle. Just look at the
size if the rear half shafts in one of these. A CRV or Escape too. They are
not enough to allow you to really tow much.

If you're going to tow 4000 lbs, a RWD Blazer will do a far better job in
the long run.

Dan

2005 545i vs 2005 A6 4.2 Seth Brundle Audi 36 February 22nd 05 02:32 PM
2005 545i vs 2005 A6 4.2 Seth Brundle BMW 34 February 22nd 05 02:32 PM
2005 S4 Cab Flyboy Audi 0 November 23rd 04 07:35 PM
buying bmw 325 (2005 vs 2006) Ruwan BMW 2 September 19th 04 11:27 PM
2005 S4 Cabriolet Newbie Ramzi Nassar Audi 4 August 7th 04 10:35 PM