Before I head to the dealer......

Old September 14th 09, 05:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Tom from WI[_2_]

Default Before I head to the dealer......

I have a 2007 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD. I noticed that my radiator overflow
container was empty. I filled it up about an inch below the "Hot Level". I
drove 70 miles in 100 degree weather, so I thought I would check it again
when it was hot. The overflow container was empty again, even though the
engine was hot (note: the TEMP gauge was right in the middle of the range).
I checked the oil (via the dip stick) to see if there was any indication of
water in the oil. Couldn't see anything that would indicate that. There is
no water leaking out onto the garage floor.

So, I'm thinking blown head gasket or cracked block, because the water is
going somewhere. I still have a few months of warranty, so I will head to
the dealer when I get home from a trip. Any other ideas that I can pass on
to the dealer?

Thanks.
Tom

Old September 14th 09, 12:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
PeterD

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 21:30:27 -0700, "Tom from WI"
> wrote:

>I have a 2007 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD. I noticed that my radiator overflow
>container was empty. I filled it up about an inch below the "Hot Level". I
>drove 70 miles in 100 degree weather, so I thought I would check it again
>when it was hot. The overflow container was empty again, even though the
>engine was hot (note: the TEMP gauge was right in the middle of the range).
>I checked the oil (via the dip stick) to see if there was any indication of
>water in the oil. Couldn't see anything that would indicate that. There is
>no water leaking out onto the garage floor.

Try a combustion gases in the coolant test if you can. You can have
leaks that only happen when running/hot and not see anyting on the
floor from them.

>So, I'm thinking blown head gasket or cracked block, because the water is
>going somewhere.

Both a head gasket or a block/head failure will blow the coolant out
the overflow tube, and that would give the appearances of a leak.

>I still have a few months of warranty, so I will head to
>the dealer when I get home from a trip. Any other ideas that I can pass on
>to the dealer?
>
>Thanks.
>Tom

If it is still under warranty don't mess with it. Take it to the
dealer and get them to fix it. Don't wait, establish a history so that
if there turns out to be an (undiscovered) problem, they will still be
obligated to fix it regardless of current warranty status. (You report
but they cannot fix under warranty they are obligated to repair it
later if you establish the problem existed while the warranty was in
force...)
Old September 15th 09, 08:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
George Csahanin

"PeterD" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 21:30:27 -0700, "Tom from WI"
> > wrote:
>
>>I have a 2007 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD. I noticed that my radiator overflow
>>container was empty. I filled it up about an inch below the "Hot Level". I
>>drove 70 miles in 100 degree weather, so I thought I would check it again
>>when it was hot. The overflow container was empty again, even though the
>>engine was hot (note: the TEMP gauge was right in the middle of the
>>range).
>>I checked the oil (via the dip stick) to see if there was any indication
>>of
>>water in the oil. Couldn't see anything that would indicate that. There is
>>no water leaking out onto the garage floor.

This may sound silly...

I had a similar problem in my Corvette, though it was washed fluid it is
somewhat similar.

It turned out to have a small crack in the plasic resevoir. Didn't see it
right away, took several minutes to start.

After driving an hour, empty.

But if I were you, as others have indicated, take it to the dealer, if its a
head gasket, its their dime. But if it were you'd see liquid condensate at
the exhaust pipe, right?

And some serious overheating.

Pressure test?

My Cougar (4.6L) had a crack on the manifold and was losing coolant, pooled
in a place tough to see...somebody said its plastic, I can't believe that...

Again, dealer, and gun to their head till its resolved.

GeorgeC

Old September 16th 09, 05:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

Not sure about your gun to the head comment.... Most techs try to do honest
work in a timely manner... You try fluffing your feathers for me and I will
gladly show you the door.

For any business relationship to succeed - and this includes any auto repair
arrangement - there must be respect by both parties.... push me? I push
back....

Gun to your head? That is when you start making mistakes... you sir..... are
a wiener...

Old October 23rd 09, 01:49 PM
keypogue73 keypogue73 is offline
Banned

Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to keypogue73

You must remember that the dealer is going to give the wholesale price or trade in value for your vehicle - and there's a significant difference between that price and the retail value.