iracing news

Old December 6th 05, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default iracing news

> Don't worry about. Its like the baseball. World Series isn't it.
> Austrailia had the something similar, World Series Cricket. fine except
> only a few countries play it. its all just marketing.

World Series Cricket is far different. It has lots of countries competing
against each other...Australia, England, New Zealand, India, Pakistan, Sri
Lanka, West Indies, South Africa etc.

Old December 6th 05, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> <snip>
> The brake pressure and bias settings are much more in depth than Papy's
> simplistic braking model
> <snip>
>
> Elaborate please. Not talking about the setup choices.

It's all to do with the way grip and momentum is taken into account during
braking. The suspension loading has a marked effect on grip and hence
braking effect.

Aside from that, most people have no problems braking in either sims so
anyone who does is doing something wrong - again a sign that our friend has
dismissed anything non-papy prematurely.

Old December 6th 05, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

You're right regarding my wheel. I went on the TSW site and there's a
new pdf user guide online that details how to calibrate the wheel for
RBR. I will re-load the game and try it again.

Old December 6th 05, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

><darek> wrote
> Virginia International Raceway? I'd bet the speedway barely sees any
> action besides oval races.

More the opposite. VIR is an historical track in the US that was redone
completely half a decade ago. It's an incredible club-style track, with
elevation changes and all. It's a perfectly fitted track for cars like the
Skip Barber ones. I would love to race those type of cars, say a 30-driver
multiplayer race, with the latest papy version of their game engine. 'Cause
in a way I'm still calling it the Papy game engine, there's 10+ years of
coding in that from them.

> What's with American's love affair with the "I" word?

"Internets" ?

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old December 6th 05, 05:02 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Steve Simpson" > wrote in message
>> <snip>
>> The brake pressure and bias settings are much more in depth than Papy's
>> simplistic braking model
>> <snip>
>>
>> Elaborate please. Not talking about the setup choices.

> It's all to do with the way grip and momentum is taken into account during
> braking. The suspension loading has a marked effect on grip and hence
> braking effect.
>
> Aside from that, most people have no problems braking in either sims so
> anyone who does is doing something wrong - again a sign that our friend
> has dismissed anything non-papy prematurely.

Hmmm... Was really looking for some insight into the differences in physics
modeling methods, not so much from a "feel" perspective, and it sounded like
you might have some. I'm always fascinated to learn about different
approaches.

As far as feel goes, I don't have any complaints about the braking in GTR
either, but plenty of folks have had issues with GTR's low-speed grip. That
may be what's being interpreted as a braking issue. All pre-rFactor
ISI-based sims have had it to some degree, but it was especially the case
with GTR and it's washboard-like chattering suspension. Simbin have sorted
the low-speed grip issues with GTL, which behaves much better in low speed
situations. With regard to suspension loading and braking grip, it could
just be the car type, as that's behavior which is highly dependent on the
ratio of downforce to vehicle weight. A lighter GT car with more downforce
will brake much harder, with a lot more bite than a heavy, relatively
under-tired Cup car. And it will be less weight shift sensitive at moderate
to high speeds, since the aero effect on tire loading is still dominant.
But as speed scrubs, the downforce goes away and so does the grip, which can
catch you out if you're not expecting it. Anyone not used to braking in an
aero car has to adjust to the mash it, then ease off style of braking, which
is sort of backwards from the way you would do it in a more softly sprung,
non aero car.

SB

Old December 6th 05, 05:07 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

darek wrote in :

> On 2005-12-01 20:15:59 -0500, "Chad Rogers" > said:
>
>> http://www.iracing.com/index.html
>>
>> Check the news

> Virginia International Raceway? I'd bet the speedway barely sees any
> action besides oval races. What's with American's love affair with the
> "I" word?
>
> The IROC barely has any international starts: only drivers from NASCAR,
> IRL, and other oval series in the states.
>
> Yet the ROC that just took place in Paris was heavily european and had
> drivers from various disciplines and countries, and included Gordon and
> Pastrana (who incidentaly seems to crash a whole lot -- between Rally
> America and the Porsche Super Cup this summer at Indy). Yet no
> "International" prefix in the name. No 'nations cup' angle.
>
> Just a rant that simmered up in my head this past weekend...

We ignore most of the world, most of the time. World Series has already
been given as an example. Speed World Challenge, has only two countries
for tracks...but does include at least one or two Euro marques in the GT
class and several countries represented in the Touring Car class.
But...back to my first point...we IGNORE most of the world, and get
criticized for it. So we GENEROUSLY add International to remind us there
actually are folks out there beyond the borders...and what do we get? More
grief! lol. Racetracks and Airports seem to be the place most likely to
bear the International monicker. Sometimes bridges. Never Grocery stores
which often truly ARE international.

dave henrie
Old December 7th 05, 05:47 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

It's called the World Series because one of the first championships was
sponsored by a newspaper called SomeCity World (I think it was New York
World). Amazing what bits of useless trivia stick in your head especially as
I can't stand baseball.

Old December 7th 05, 01:50 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Michael Horton wrote in news:fIulf.155744$yS6.26498@clgrps12:

> It's called the World Series because one of the first
> championships was sponsored by a newspaper called SomeCity World
> (I think it was New York World). Amazing what bits of useless
> trivia stick in your head especially as I can't stand baseball.

I believe that if you investigate this, you will find it is
another Urban Myth. The World Series was *not*, in fact, sponsered
by a "XXX World" newspaper.

--
Darryl
Old December 7th 05, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

You will...

-Larry

Old December 7th 05, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Simple media hype even then....

http://baseball-almanac.com/ws/wsmenu.shtml