Seeking Mechanics Advise: 1986 Toyota Corolla Problem

Old November 10th 05, 04:27 AM

Default Seeking Mechanics Advise: 1986 Toyota Corolla Problem

Hi folks,

I appreciate any help from the Toyota repair guru's out there ... I'm
far from a guru so please excuse any wrong words/descriptions. Thanks
for your help!!.

I'm working on a 1986 Corolla Sedan, Auto 3spd, power steering, 4ac
engine with 205,000 miles, unknown history, and a severe oil leak.

I traced the leak down to the the lower timining chain cover and area
around the harmonic balancer. When I removed the balancer, I was
shocked to find that it was litterally scraping and creating a gouge in
the timing chain cover (it's plastic, and this caused an entire side of
it to break off) and also found the balancer rubbing along the oil pan
edge (amazing it didn't catch fire or something).

I have no idea how this could happen as I'm not familiar with Toyota
engines. Were spacers left off at some time in the past, or has this
well used engine simply worn internally so severely that it's beyond
tolerance/clearance? The funny thing is, other then the oil leak, the
car runs really well.

So, I'd appreciate some advice. Should I replace the lower timing
chain cover and let the balancer rub in again? Are there shims I can
use somehow? I'm worried that if I pull the timing chain cover in it's
damaged condition, it wont be replaceable unless i use a new one, so i
want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.....help!!

Zac

Old November 10th 05, 07:06 AM
thetoolman

Well Zac, it sounds like the balancer is broke, that is the outer and
inner part is loose causing it move in and out so it hits the oil pan.
There are no spacers the only thing thats behind it is the spocket for
the timing belt. The oil seal for the crank is behind the sprocket and
can be CAREFULY pried off of the oilpump housing and installed with the
aid of a large deep socket. The timing belt spocket should be pulled
off with the aid of a puller but can be pried off in a pinch. You may
find a used lower timing belt cover in a auto recycler yard.

HTH, Rick

Old November 10th 05, 02:15 PM
Comboverfish

wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I appreciate any help from the Toyota repair guru's out there ... I'm
> far from a guru so please excuse any wrong words/descriptions. Thanks
> for your help!!.
>
> I'm working on a 1986 Corolla Sedan, Auto 3spd, power steering, 4ac
> engine with 205,000 miles, unknown history, and a severe oil leak.
>
> I traced the leak down to the the lower timining chain cover and area
> around the harmonic balancer. When I removed the balancer, I was
> shocked to find that it was litterally scraping and creating a gouge in
> the timing chain cover (it's plastic, and this caused an entire side of
> it to break off) and also found the balancer rubbing along the oil pan
> edge (amazing it didn't catch fire or something).
>
> I have no idea how this could happen as I'm not familiar with Toyota
> engines. Were spacers left off at some time in the past, or has this
> well used engine simply worn internally so severely that it's beyond
> tolerance/clearance? The funny thing is, other then the oil leak, the
> car runs really well.
>
> So, I'd appreciate some advice. Should I replace the lower timing
> chain cover and let the balancer rub in again? Are there shims I can
> use somehow? I'm worried that if I pull the timing chain cover in it's
> damaged condition, it wont be replaceable unless i use a new one, so i
> want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.....help!!
>
> Zac

First off, you did not mention FWD or RWD, and you called the worn part
a "timing chain cover", but said it was plastic. I will assume the
"plastic" part of your statement is correct, so I will assume this is a
FWD Corolla w/ a timing belt.

The other poster is right about the balancer assembly... it's not
common for a Toyota balancer to separate, but with that old of a car,
most bets are off, as it were. If there is wear on the inside of the
cover I would look for a missing belt guide washer that goes on the
crank snout to keep the belt from walking off the crank pulley. Also I
would look for an improperly installed belt cover that was jacked up or
distorted in such a way as to cause it to rub on the balancer.

TOyota MDT in MO

Old November 10th 05, 02:17 PM
Comboverfish

Old November 10th 05, 06:53 PM

Thank you all -- i'm betting it is a missing guide washer....heading
back to work on the car after work. Thanks!

Old November 11th 05, 03:48 AM

Thanks again folks - I think I managed to get it fixed up. The timing
belt cover and gasket (where it joins with the block) where not
installed well - the gasket wasn't the right one, and the cover was not
torqued. That and I discovered a good leak from the oil pan as well.
Now it's all back together and holding oil, and the balancer isn't
contacting anything.

THANKS again!

Next weekend I'll track down the 1" or so of play in the steering rack
passenger side

Old November 11th 05, 07:11 PM
Comboverfish

wrote:

> Next weekend I'll track down the 1" or so of play in the steering rack
> passenger side

Your inner tierod is wasted. With that ridiculous amount of play, look
for a torn rack bellows that would allow water to get onto the tierod.
If you find water/heavy corrosion on one side, check the other side
because there is a breather tube that equalizes air pressure between
the two that will channel moisture and destroy the other side in time.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old November 18th 05, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

http://macorolla.free.fr/toyota.htm

> My Toyota is not beautiful
>
> Marcorolla

I have the same problem on my Toyota Corolla with a black interior.