F1 sims? What is it with you guys?

Old April 28th 05, 10:29 PM
Robin Lord

> We are talking about mechanical performance of an automobile. Today's F1
> car
> destroys the other cars I mentioned.
> --
> David G Fisher-

That doesn't necessarily make them more fun to drive though does it?
I know plenty of people who think the idea of driving a rally stage is far
more exciting than driving an F1 car
Don't get me wrong, I love driving F1 cars, but I like a bit of variety too
and I'm happy to drive any great racing series from the past, or any that I
can watch today, just to get a taste of what that particular series was/is
like.

Robin

Old April 29th 05, 04:37 PM
Larry

GPL and GPII are the only one's that have ever been worth a damn IMHO.

-Larry

. 97.136...

Old April 29th 05, 04:39 PM
Larry

Some of us are starting to become Older, Sloppier people LOL

-Larry

"David G Fisher" > wrote in message

"I've always wanted to start a thread which asked why some of you are so
obsessed with driving old, slow, sloppy handling cars, or slow, sports cars"

Old April 29th 05, 04:40 PM
Larry

To me, it's because unlike all other recent ISI based SIMS, including GTR
for me, it actually FEELS like you're driving a car that isn't suspended 2"
above the ground.

Old April 29th 05, 07:23 PM
FooAtari

"Larry" > wrote in news:Swsce.63$%44.51@lakeread06:

> GPL and GPII are the only one's that have ever been worth a damn IMHO.

That is so so true...

--
Im too young for this s**t!

Live GamerTag - FooAtari

My games collection and Live games:
http://www.ajrparkst.f2s.com/allie/index.htm

www.revs.tv - Motorsport Internet TV.
Old April 29th 05, 11:18 PM
Mitch_A

You have convinced yourself of that Larry. All simulators to a certain
extent rely on the ability to fool your brain into thinking its reality.
Whether its conditioning to the Papy feel or something else I dont know but
if you had no other choices and were forced to run GTR I feel with certainty
you would end up wondering how on Earth you could have been so wrong in the
first place.

Just to be clear I feel the low speed grip is an issue that carried over
from previous ISI stuff but Im able to over look that small detail and see
all the many other wonderful small details that do add up to a GREAT sim.

No matter what other sims I currently run I end up back at GTR land.

The rumor mill is churning and supposedly Simbin is releasing a huge multi
upg this weekend or early next week.

I wonder if GT legends will use Gmotor2?

Mitch

Old April 30th 05, 08:57 AM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:18:36 GMT, Mitch_A wrote:

> I wonder if GT legends will use Gmotor2?

I think I recall some statement to that effect, but I might be mixing
things up with some rFactor blurb.

Cheers, uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old May 2nd 05, 12:15 AM
Krane

Byron Forbes wrote:
> Oh, and a replay format
> done by someone with half a clue, like NR2003, would be nice too.

How about LFS's single player replay? It stores the input's you make
rather than where you car is on the track.
And so recreates the replay 1:1, exactly like you did a moment ago.
Also take the AI, it drives the same physics as you do, no faking what
so ever.
Old May 2nd 05, 08:31 PM
Byron Forbes

"Krane" > wrote in message
> Byron Forbes wrote:
>> Oh, and a replay format done by someone with half a clue, like NR2003,
>> would be nice too.

> How about LFS's single player replay? It stores the input's you make
> rather than where you car is on the track.
> And so recreates the replay 1:1, exactly like you did a moment ago.
> Also take the AI, it drives the same physics as you do, no faking what so
> ever.

I might have to take a look at this thing one day - how does it compare
to PWF or GTP overall?

Old May 2nd 05, 08:41 PM
David G Fisher

"Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:04:46 -0400, David G Fisher wrote:
> >
> > I've always wanted to start a thread which asked why some of you are so
> > obsessed with driving old, slow, sloppy handling cars, or slow, sports

cars.
> > NASCAR cars? When you could drive an F1 car? Didn't bother though

because I
> > know it would just **** some of you off, and I know the answers anyway.

> For me, the answer is simple: I can still drive a sports car like
> those in GTR with reasonable precision after a couple of beers, while
> in F1C you really have to be on the edge with lightning quick
> reactions in order not to suck or to crash. The "edge" in F1C is a
> much sharper blade than those relatively forgiving sports cars in GTR,
> or even GTP for that matter.
>

> Cheers, uwe
>

> --
> GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61

I'm definitely at my best with the F1 cars, and I think I need the "edge" to
keep me focused. I become easily frustrated with the way other types of cars
aren't as precise.

Maybe I have attention deficit disorder. :-)
--
David G Fisher