First Racing get surly

Old March 6th 05, 06:11 PM
Cowboy Bob

Tony Rickard wrote:
> "John Simmons" wrote:
>

>>They bought the rights (including all source and binary files), why is
>>that so hard to understand?
>>
>>They'r merely clarifying their position.

> That is clear. Although it does gives us a (hopefully misleading) message
> that the modders can compete with what First Racing are planning to launch.
> I was hoping for more innovation than a tweaked NR2003.
>
> In my view First Racing need to establish themselves as the leaders in sim
> racing and then aim to stay there through quality product releases, rather
> than rely on stopping others use their old stuff.

Sigh,

I sure hope it won't be Nascar Racing 2/Nascar 99/Nascar 3 all over
again... It sounds more like an evolution than a revolution.

P.S.
Old March 7th 05, 04:37 AM
Byron Forbes

"John DiFool" > wrote in message
> On 5 Mar 2005 05:32:54 -0800, "MrMox" > wrote:
>
>>Oh lord, I didn't expect to find that even here folks would put
>>personal pride ahead of professional sense.
>>
>>When a post turns up that actually contains a valid point about First
>>perhaps some valid answers will follow. Posts like this indicate to me
>>that not very many people have any agenda exept thier own in mind.

> My take is, from FIRST's perspective, why worry about competition
> from people modding this older game? I mean there are a lot of
> constraints in NR2003's code which prevent such (hypothetical)
> features like dynamic weather & day/night, complete support for
> enduro racing, more than 4/5 models at once, etc. etc. I still think
> NR is the best sim out there at this moment, but it IS starting to get
> a bit long in the tooth.

My thoughts exactly. Are they saying that what they'll be offering up
soon will be no big change from NR2003???? If so, then they do have a lot to
be concerned about! Just implementing weather and ****ing off the
temperature discrepancy in the front tyres would kill any mods for NR2003
instantly.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old March 7th 05, 04:41 AM
Byron Forbes

"Bob V" > wrote in message
>I don't blame Kaemmer and Henry a bit for taking a tough stand. BTW, the
> post does not say no mods allowed. It says no hacking, and he explains
> the
> difference. Authorized and licensed mods will be allowed, hence the last
> line of his post regarding GTP.

Yes, this is fair enough. I think what a lot of people missed with the
release of the GTP mod was that no disc was required at all if you already
had a copy of NR2003 and you could even use the public VROC lobby for pickup
racing. I have no problem with a company insisting any mod to their original
game require the end user to have a legit copy of said original game.

Old March 7th 05, 08:04 PM
Tony Rickard

"mcewena" wrote:

> >Would Grand Prix Legends still enjoy success today and the loss of

> Papy be
> >mourned by non Nascar fans without the mods?

> I guess it depends on how you measure success. Papy made $49.95 off
> of me when they released GPL, they would have made that with or without
> the subsiquent mods. The mods have been great and have kept me playing
> but they did not add $1 to Papy's bottom line or provide enough
> encouragement for them to produce a GPL 2. It's entirely possible
> that the mods *discouraged* them from producing an update as the mods
> could have stolen their thunder.

The quote was from the original article by Steve Parsons. My point was the
mods arguably kept Papy products in the limelight for the non Nascar fans
which may go some way to helping First Racing to be perceived as a credible
rather than yesteryear outfit when they announce their intention to create
"a sanctioning body to launch a truly global online sport"

I am as unconvinced though it will really effect their bottom line with or
without the modders then or now, which is why I think it has not been
handled well. I am sure it is all a storm in a teacup and we are all
probably fickle enough to buy into FIRST if they produce the goods
regardless of the tantrums on both sides.

Cheers
Tony

Old March 7th 05, 11:02 PM
MrMox

I am suprized all the time. I walk with a permanently suprized look. In
fact if suprize were to be available with the prescribed wool of
applicable posts actually proffered I could easily retire already in a
cosy Florida pad with a flourishing business in woolly eyeless
balaclavas for the consciously inept.

:P <g>

JP wrote:

> <laughter>
>
> You go to usenet, and you're surprised by what you find ?

Flashpoint Racing Series begins tonight! [email protected] Simulators 34 February 18th 05 01:37 AM
GTP Lives!!! Steve Smith Simulators 20 February 14th 05 04:59 AM
Mustang Returns to Sports Car Racing Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 0 January 29th 05 05:39 PM
TrackIR and Racing Sims? BRH Simulators 4 December 21st 04 12:20 PM
Tough to Enter the Racing Sim Scene Chuck Simulators 14 November 10th 04 05:27 AM