Flashpoint Racing Series begins tonight!

Old February 16th 05, 01:01 AM
Bill Bollinger

Remember that N3 didn't even have a dedicated server package when it was
released. I believe this release will be very good and shot a LOT of
potential. If they get the dedicated server package fixed (Admin commands
installed), everyone will move to NSR online. They have fixed the online
problems N2003 have suffered from since N4.

Bill Bollinger
www.gsxn.com

Old February 16th 05, 01:34 AM
JP

Hehe, yep, always amazing how the rose colored glasses work.

Or how about the kudos that went to Papy for releasing a patch for 03, to
fix the flaw that allowed unrealistic setups ? A basic flaw that you'd
think after the umptienth Nx release wouldn't be in the game anyway.
Or remember when ICR2 was released in such a mess, and the clamor about a
patch for that ?

Hehe, same old story; someone else does situation x, oh, the horror. Papy
does the exact same thing.......cool, man, what great guys.

LOL

Old February 16th 05, 10:54 AM
Schooner

My concern is that it seems most feel wit ha patch and fixing this and that
it will be a good as NR2003.
Out of the box it seems most are not blown away by any stretch and it has a
number of issues dealing with online setup/admin and so on.

Comparing this to N3 means little, people are looking for and expecting
something better than the current NR2003. EA has the money and resources to
do it right, this should not be a half assed "first try".

I hope it works out and it brings the life back to sim racing but the few
words on it so far make it seem ok but nothing special. I guess only time
and hands on testing will tell the true tale.

Old February 16th 05, 10:56 AM
Schooner

I think the issue is people are expecting a lot from it. EA claimed it was
built for simmers and it is missing key online simming features. It is 2-3
years newer than NR2003 and most seem to say it might be on par at best.
EA has burned people too many times and they have a lot of pressure on them
with the release of a "sim" title.

Old February 16th 05, 03:04 PM

Gil, Sorry if your division runs on a Monday. When dealing with 7 FP
leagues (35 divisions) running Monday thru Sunday, it's hard to keep
away from some holidays over the course of 16 week seasons. We try
to have enough off weeks, so admins can get with drivers on postponing
some races for the offweeks. Of course, major holidays in which many
people are off from work, we have those as off weeks. It's a catch22.
I know most of the divisions we will on offweeks for those races.
For the rest of the 30 divisions that run Tuesday thru Sunday still run
their race.

On NSR. I don't see many leagues jumping right over to the new game.
Especially the fixed setup leagues, or leagues that need to have
admins with the ability to boot drivers or issue black flags. I think
it will be great for pickup racing, but not sure if it's ready for
switch. I can assure you from my conversations with EA, they are
working with us very hard to get as much accomplished as possible to
resolve those issues for the patch.

For Flashpoint, there is no way we can do this; because more than 50%
of our leagues run fast-fixed setups. Also, the screen names for NSR
requires you register with EA; which means many drivers will most
likely be unable to use the same screen name they have used in their
league. With any league, this will require those admins to get their
rosters updated.

Overall, I think EA is heading in the right direction and with our
input, it can only get better.

Old February 16th 05, 03:13 PM
Niles Anders

Hey Bill, What were those online problems? Are you talking about the
cup physics weight distribution? Even their Trans Am physics had a
weird front right tire temp thing that was out of whack too?

Niles

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 01:01:10 GMT, "Bill Bollinger"

Old February 16th 05, 03:37 PM
Plowboy

BILL,

N3 doesnt really count in this discussion after all, including this stuff
was a new concept in itself back then, nowdays it is a pre-requisite, dont
you think?

Bill Bollinger enlightened us with:
> Remember that N3 didn't even have a dedicated server package when it
> was released. I believe this release will be very good and shot a
> LOT of potential. If they get the dedicated server package fixed
> (Admin commands installed), everyone will move to NSR online. They
> have fixed the online problems N2003 have suffered from since N4.

sniped for brevity

Old February 16th 05, 04:12 PM
JP

<shrug> Papy made statements/promises too, that they didn't deliver on,
weren't correct, etc. I.e., "Nascar Racing 3 will be based on the gpl
engine" etc. "We can't put a save game feature in" (n1 and 2). "We're
unable to make the pit roads straight due to coding limitations" (EA did so
in 1998).

Also get a kick out of those slamming the car graphics in NSR. Until n4,
none of the car graphics in the Nx releases even resembled a stock car.

But anyway, I hear ya, know what you mean.

Old February 16th 05, 04:14 PM
JP

You don't get the Papy rocket launch upon car contact for one.

Old February 16th 05, 05:17 PM
Steve Blankenship

"JP" > wrote in message
> <shrug> Papy made statements/promises too, that they didn't deliver on,
> weren't correct, etc. I.e., "Nascar Racing 3 will be based on the gpl
> engine" etc. "We can't put a save game feature in" (n1 and 2). "We're
> unable to make the pit roads straight due to coding limitations" (EA did

so
> in 1998).

JP, you seem to do a lot of shrugging. A tick perhaps? ;-)

> Also get a kick out of those slamming the car graphics in NSR. Until

n4,
> none of the car graphics in the Nx releases even resembled a stock car.

Uh, it's 2005 now. Papy sorted that out years ago. GP2 didn't look so hot
either, come to think of it.

Before being labeled a fanboy, let it be known that I'm all in favor of
something that'll eclipse NR2003, whoever it comes from. And while NSR is a
genuine step up from it's predecessors, I just don't see it clearing that
hurdle. Losing the jittering online opponents and warp-driven online melees
would be a true improvement if NSR can manage it and still get a full field,
but there are so many other steps backward relative to NR2003 that only
people focused on that one issue will be convinced of it's superiority.

As for the known limitations of NR2003, remember it is two years old and
hasn't had benefit of that time for additional refinement. If you plot the
forward progress Papy made with the game while Sierra had the Nascar License
and project where it would likely be for a NR2005, Papy-style, NSR isn't
even in the same league.

But EA do have the NASCAR license now, so I certainly wish the Tiburon guys
luck in their efforts; I just wonder about the true level of commitment from
EA to the narrow slice of the market we hardcore sim-heads represent.

SB