1982 toyota custom cab

Old March 26th 07, 09:19 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.4x4
[email protected]

Default 1982 toyota custom cab

I'm looking at buying an 82 toyota custom cab 4x4. Pretty unusual...
and it doesn't have the camper shell. Anyone know where I might get
one... or anything else that would work? Or any info on this sort of
truck at all? Thanks

Old March 26th 07, 10:40 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.4x4
Ray O

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I'm looking at buying an 82 toyota custom cab 4x4. Pretty unusual...
> and it doesn't have the camper shell. Anyone know where I might get
> one... or anything else that would work? Or any info on this sort of
> truck at all? Thanks

I do not recall Toyota ever selling a "Custom Cab" in the U.S., and IIRC,
the Xtracab was introduced later than 1982. There were several aftermarket
conversions on the market at the time, was the "Custom Cab" one of them?

As far as a shell for the bed, measure the bed length and look for a long
bed or short bed shell, depending on your bed length.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old April 5th 07, 03:55 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.4x4
[email protected]

On Mar 26, 2:40 pm, "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > I'm looking at buying an 82 toyota custom cab 4x4. Pretty unusual...
> > and it doesn't have the camper shell. Anyone know where I might get
> > one... or anything else that would work? Or any info on this sort of
> > truck at all? Thanks

> I do not recall Toyota ever selling a "Custom Cab" in the U.S., and IIRC,
> the Xtracab was introduced later than 1982. There were several aftermarket
> conversions on the market at the time, was the "Custom Cab" one of them?
>
> As far as a shell for the bed, measure the bed length and look for a long
> bed or short bed shell, depending on your bed length.
> --
>
> Ray O
> (correct punctuation to reply)

yes a custom cab was an option from toyota. i collect custom cabs ( i
have 3 of them). They were sent to two different companies to have the
conversion done. One was called custom fabrication manufacturing in
san diego ca, and also in oregon, and another company called
speciality vehicles corporation. it was a 3000 dollar option from
toyota. they took a standard cab pickup and cut and stretched the
frame 3 feet and put on the fiberglass section.

Old April 5th 07, 05:28 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.4x4
Ray O

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Mar 26, 2:40 pm, "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...
>>
>> > I'm looking at buying an 82 toyota custom cab 4x4. Pretty unusual...
>> > and it doesn't have the camper shell. Anyone know where I might get
>> > one... or anything else that would work? Or any info on this sort of
>> > truck at all? Thanks

>> I do not recall Toyota ever selling a "Custom Cab" in the U.S., and IIRC,
>> the Xtracab was introduced later than 1982. There were several
>> aftermarket
>> conversions on the market at the time, was the "Custom Cab" one of them?
>>
>> As far as a shell for the bed, measure the bed length and look for a long
>> bed or short bed shell, depending on your bed length.
>> --
>>
>> Ray O
>> (correct punctuation to reply)

> yes a custom cab was an option from toyota. i collect custom cabs ( i
> have 3 of them). They were sent to two different companies to have the
> conversion done. One was called custom fabrication manufacturing in
> san diego ca, and also in oregon, and another company called
> speciality vehicles corporation. it was a 3000 dollar option from
> toyota. they took a standard cab pickup and cut and stretched the
> frame 3 feet and put on the fiberglass section.

The custom cab was not a Toyota option, and there was no Toyota model number
for a custom cab. It was an aftermarket conversion that some Toyota dealers
sold.

Old April 6th 07, 04:06 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.4x4
[email protected]

On Apr 4, 9:28 pm, "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...

> roups.com...

> >> I do not recall Toyota ever selling a "Custom Cab" in the U.S., and IIRC,
> >> the Xtracab was introduced later than 1982. There were several
> >> aftermarket
> >> conversions on the market at the time, was the "Custom Cab" one of them?

> >> As far as a shell for the bed, measure the bed length and look for a long
> >> bed or short bed shell, depending on your bed length.
> >> --

> >> Ray O
> >> (correct punctuation to reply)

> > yes a custom cab was an option from toyota. i collect custom cabs ( i
> > have 3 of them). They were sent to two different companies to have the
> > conversion done. One was called custom fabrication manufacturing in
> > san diego ca, and also in oregon, and another company called
> > speciality vehicles corporation. it was a 3000 dollar option from
> > toyota. they took a standard cab pickup and cut and stretched the
> > frame 3 feet and put on the fiberglass section.

> The custom cab was not a Toyota option, and there was no Toyota model number
> for a custom cab. It was an aftermarket conversion that some Toyota dealers
> sold.
> --
>
> Ray O
> (correct punctuation to reply)- Hide quoted text -

So if some toyota dealers sold it, wouldnt that make it an option. Two
of my three custom cabs I purchased from the original owners. Each one
provided paperwork and recipts of the conversion and the price from
toyota. how would that not be an option??? how are you basing your
information?

Old April 6th 07, 05:03 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.4x4
Ray O

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Apr 4, 9:28 pm, "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> ps.com...

>> roups.com...

>> > yes a custom cab was an option from toyota. i collect custom cabs ( i
>> > have 3 of them). They were sent to two different companies to have the
>> > conversion done. One was called custom fabrication manufacturing in
>> > san diego ca, and also in oregon, and another company called
>> > speciality vehicles corporation. it was a 3000 dollar option from
>> > toyota. they took a standard cab pickup and cut and stretched the
>> > frame 3 feet and put on the fiberglass section.

>> The custom cab was not a Toyota option, and there was no Toyota model
>> number
>> for a custom cab. It was an aftermarket conversion that some Toyota
>> dealers
>> sold.
>> --
>>
>> Ray O
>> (correct punctuation to reply)- Hide quoted text -

> So if some toyota dealers sold it, wouldnt that make it an option. Two
> of my three custom cabs I purchased from the original owners. Each one
> provided paperwork and recipts of the conversion and the price from
> toyota. how would that not be an option??? how are you basing your
> information?

Toyota dealers can sell products and options that are not factory options or
accessories. For example, dealers sell rust proofing, paint protectant,
fabric protectant, theft deterrent systems, glass etching, wheels, and
extended service contracts that are not supplied by Toyota. Toyota used to
sell cab/chassis that were converted to campers, flat bets, utility beds,
cube trucks, etc. The cab and chassis are made by and warranted by Toyota,
but the conversion is warranted by the converter. The quality of those
conversions varied widely - some were pretty good, many were pretty poor
quality with leaks, poor upholstery durability, and electrical problems.

Back in 1982, demand for 4Runners was much greater than Toyota's production
capacity, so there were several aftermarket pickup-to-SUV conversions
(Winnebago was one) that were sold by Toyota dealers. The custom cab was
another aftermarket conversion.

My information comes from working for Toyota Motor Distributors, a division
of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A.

Old April 7th 07, 03:27 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.4x4
[email protected]

On Apr 5, 9:03 pm, "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...

> oups.com...

> >> roups.com...

> >> The custom cab was not a Toyota option, and there was no Toyota model
> >> number
> >> for a custom cab. It was an aftermarket conversion that some Toyota
> >> dealers
> >> sold.
> >> --

> >> Ray O
> >> (correct punctuation to reply)- Hide quoted text -

> > So if some toyota dealers sold it, wouldnt that make it an option. Two
> > of my three custom cabs I purchased from the original owners. Each one
> > provided paperwork and recipts of the conversion and the price from
> > toyota. how would that not be an option??? how are you basing your
> > information?

> Toyota dealers can sell products and options that are not factory options or
> accessories. For example, dealers sell rust proofing, paint protectant,
> fabric protectant, theft deterrent systems, glass etching, wheels, and
> extended service contracts that are not supplied by Toyota. Toyota used to
> sell cab/chassis that were converted to campers, flat bets, utility beds,
> cube trucks, etc. The cab and chassis are made by and warranted by Toyota,
> but the conversion is warranted by the converter. The quality of those
> conversions varied widely - some were pretty good, many were pretty poor
> quality with leaks, poor upholstery durability, and electrical problems.
>
> Back in 1982, demand for 4Runners was much greater than Toyota's production
> capacity, so there were several aftermarket pickup-to-SUV conversions
> (Winnebago was one) that were sold by Toyota dealers. The custom cab was
> another aftermarket conversion.
>
> My information comes from working for Toyota Motor Distributors, a division
> of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A.
> --
>
> Ray O
> (correct punctuation to reply)- Hide quoted text -

I understand that toyota didnt warranty the custom cab, but if they
sell the conversion option how is that not an option from toyota. It
doesnt matter if there is no number for the conversion, but toyota did
offer the conversion for 3000 dollars like i originaly said. You first
stated that "toyota didnt sell the "Custom Cab" in the united states".
Well I have proff that they did. I have two original recipts from
toyota delearships that shows a 3000 dollar option for a custom cab
conversion.

Old April 7th 07, 05:06 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.4x4
Tomes

> wrote ...
> Ray Owrote:
>> > wrote

>> > So if some toyota dealers sold it, wouldnt that make it an option.
>> > Two
>> > of my three custom cabs I purchased from the original owners. Each
>> > one
>> > provided paperwork and recipts of the conversion and the price from
>> > toyota. how would that not be an option??? how are you basing your
>> > information?

>> Toyota dealers can sell products and options that are not factory
>> options or
>> accessories. For example, dealers sell rust proofing, paint
>> protectant,
>> fabric protectant, theft deterrent systems, glass etching, wheels, and
>> extended service contracts that are not supplied by Toyota. Toyota
>> used to
>> sell cab/chassis that were converted to campers, flat bets, utility
>> beds,
>> cube trucks, etc. The cab and chassis are made by and warranted by
>> Toyota,
>> but the conversion is warranted by the converter. The quality of those
>> conversions varied widely - some were pretty good, many were pretty
>> poor
>> quality with leaks, poor upholstery durability, and electrical
>> problems.
>>
>> Back in 1982, demand for 4Runners was much greater than Toyota's
>> production
>> capacity, so there were several aftermarket pickup-to-SUV conversions
>> (Winnebago was one) that were sold by Toyota dealers. The custom cab
>> was
>> another aftermarket conversion.
>>
>> My information comes from working for Toyota Motor Distributors, a
>> division
>> of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A.
>> --
>> Ray O

> I understand that toyota didnt warranty the custom cab, but if they
> sell the conversion option how is that not an option from toyota. It
> doesnt matter if there is no number for the conversion, but toyota did
> offer the conversion for 3000 dollars like i originaly said. You first
> stated that "toyota didnt sell the "Custom Cab" in the united states".
> Well I have proff that they did. I have two original recipts from
> toyota delearships that shows a 3000 dollar option for a custom cab
> conversion.

In other words than how Ray has said this: If a Toyota dealer sells you a
cap to put on your truck bed it is not a Toyota option, but instead it is
an aftermarket item that just happens to be also sold by that Toyota
dealer. It did not come from Toyota and Toyota has nothing to do with it.
The custom cab is similar to this. The dealer just farmed out the work to
someone else and sold it as an aftermarket item. The Toyota individual
dealer made the final sale to the end user (much like a cap), but Toyota
itself had nothing to do with it.
Hope this helps,
Tomes

Old April 7th 07, 05:12 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.4x4
Ray O

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Apr 5, 9:03 pm, "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...

<snipped>
> > So if some toyota dealers sold it, wouldnt that make it an option. Two
>> > of my three custom cabs I purchased from the original owners. Each one
>> > provided paperwork and recipts of the conversion and the price from
>> > toyota. how would that not be an option??? how are you basing your
>> > information?

>> Toyota dealers can sell products and options that are not factory options
>> or
>> accessories. For example, dealers sell rust proofing, paint protectant,
>> fabric protectant, theft deterrent systems, glass etching, wheels, and
>> extended service contracts that are not supplied by Toyota. Toyota used
>> sell cab/chassis that were converted to campers, flat bets, utility beds,
>> cube trucks, etc. The cab and chassis are made by and warranted by
>> Toyota,
>> but the conversion is warranted by the converter. The quality of those
>> conversions varied widely - some were pretty good, many were pretty poor
>> quality with leaks, poor upholstery durability, and electrical problems.
>>
>> Back in 1982, demand for 4Runners was much greater than Toyota's
>> production
>> capacity, so there were several aftermarket pickup-to-SUV conversions
>> (Winnebago was one) that were sold by Toyota dealers. The custom cab was
>> another aftermarket conversion.
>>
>> My information comes from working for Toyota Motor Distributors, a
>> division
>> of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A.
>> --
>>
>> Ray O
>> (correct punctuation to reply)- Hide quoted text -

> I understand that toyota didnt warranty the custom cab, but if they
> sell the conversion option how is that not an option from toyota. It
> doesnt matter if there is no number for the conversion, but toyota did
> offer the conversion for 3000 dollars like i originaly said. You first
> stated that "toyota didnt sell the "Custom Cab" in the united states".
> Well I have proff that they did. I have two original recipts from
> toyota delearships that shows a 3000 dollar option for a custom cab
> conversion.

I think you are confusing "Toyota" with Toyota dealers. Toyota Motor Corp.,
Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., and Toyota Motor Distributors are all "Toyota."
The dealer is an independent business with a franchise agreement with Toyota
that gives the dealer the right to sell new Toyota products, use the Toyota
name and logo in the dealer's name, sell genuine Toyota parts (along with
aftermarket parts if they wish), and offer warranty service on Toyota
vehicles. The receipts you have are from Toyota dealers, not Toyota.
Toyota sold the truck to one of their dealers, the dealer sent the truck to
a converter, the converter added the custom cab and sold the conversion to
the dealer, and the dealer sold the truck and conversion. Although there is
a franchise agreement between Toyota and the dealer, they are not one and
the same.

Another analogy would be a digital camera made by Nikon and sold to a store
like Best Buy. Best Buy puts a package together that includes the Nikon
camera and a SanDisk memory card and sells the package. Nikon did not sell
the memory card, Best Buy did.

Old April 7th 07, 05:22 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.4x4
Ray O

"Tomes" > wrote in message
link.net...
<snipped>
> In other words than how Ray has said this: If a Toyota dealer sells you a
> cap to put on your truck bed it is not a Toyota option, but instead it is
> an aftermarket item that just happens to be also sold by that Toyota
> dealer. It did not come from Toyota and Toyota has nothing to do with it.
> The custom cab is similar to this. The dealer just farmed out the work to
> someone else and sold it as an aftermarket item. The Toyota individual
> dealer made the final sale to the end user (much like a cap), but Toyota
> itself had nothing to do with it.
> Hope this helps,
> Tomes

Good explanation. I did not use the cap analogy because Toyota now offers
caps as a port installed option that Toyota warrants and which appears on
the manufacturer's Monroney label, although that was not the case in 1982.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Chyrsler To Build Overseas and Toyota Builds In America - DCX Not American, Toyota Is Jim Higgins Chrysler 19 May 17th 06 06:43 AM
1982 Toyota Starlet electrical problems derek Technology 2 February 20th 06 03:29 AM
Parting out 1982 toyota 4x4 deluxe w/ R22 engine and 5-speed standard Flyingmonk 4x4 0 January 3rd 06 08:17 AM
1982 CJ-7 Norman Jeep 35 June 19th 05 06:17 PM
Ride quality? Toyota Echo vs. Toyota Scion Xa larry moe 'n curly Technology 35 May 12th 05 02:45 AM