final step in replacing front bushings

Old November 18th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default final step in replacing front bushings

Tegger's description and pictures are awesome and very enlightening. I
think he tells you almost every thing you need to know with one
omission.

The final step before tightening the bolts on any replaced bushings is
after the nuts are started and snugged up lightly is to set the car
down on ramps so the full weight of the car is on the suspension. Then
tighten all the bolts to specified torque when the car is in its
normal attitude. This prevents overstretching the rubber in the
bushings and gives them equal flexibility in the upward and downward
travel. If you don't do this then you run the risk of tearing the
rubber on hard bumps.
Old November 18th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

wrote in news:8f27c2a9-5b37-4c56-a01d-
:

> Tegger's description and pictures are awesome and very enlightening. I
> think he tells you almost every thing you need to know with one
> omission.
>
> The final step before tightening the bolts on any replaced bushings is
> after the nuts are started and snugged up lightly

Not when they're snugged up lightly, but when they're LOOSE.
The nuts/bolts MUST be LOOSE. Not much, but just short of seating.

Snugging will prevent the inner sleeve from rotating once the suspension
has settled. It is this inner sleeve rotation that is so critical.

You need to release the inner sleeves before you damage your bushings, if
you haven't damaged them by now.

> is to set the car
> down on ramps so the full weight of the car is on the suspension. Then
> tighten all the bolts to specified torque when the car is in its
> normal attitude. This prevents overstretching the rubber in the
> bushings and gives them equal flexibility in the upward and downward
> travel. If you don't do this then you run the risk of tearing the
> rubber on hard bumps.

Any any time I've discussed bushing replacement (including very recently in
this group), I have said exactly that.

When I did my fronts, it was not possible for me to lower the car. What I
did was to load up the control arm with a jack and jack stand, measuring
the distance from hub center to wheel well lip for confirmation. This
placed the suspension at the right attitude for bushing tightening.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/